Favourite games against...

Dodgyknees

Thought it might be cool to remember some of the fun games against Newcastle.

• Relegating them: Just seeing those 'Toon' fans in tears, wobbling around with no tops on made it a lot of fun.
  • 3-0 (2005): This game was brilliant, remember us playing some good football - and if I remember, two of their players red carded for fighting?
  • Like 1

I went to all the games mentioned above. Probably the most memorable was the one we lost 4-3 at SJP. The ref was terrible - Elleray I think. He sent off Mark Draper I think, and disallowed a good goal that would have made it 4-4. But that's not why it was memorable. LancsVillan, drove, so I was able to have some beer, and did. But the atmosphere was the thing. It was just fantastic. The ground was much smaller than now, but for whatever reasons it was stunning. Been there back many times since, and it's never come close. it was ear-ringingly loud.

As for the fight game, this is what I wrote for VT at the time. Just for memory's sake. it's gone now from the internet, but it shows how times change. It seems a lifetime ago.

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Don’t Fight It, Feel It - Newcastle Match Report

Yep, an extraordinary day alright. Those present witnessed something not seen for a very long time. I don’t mean of course the sunny weather in Tyneside, or indeed the ascent of the 195 steps to my seat at the back row of the upper tier of L7 at St Zebra’s park. No, the thing that was really quite extra-ordinary was something that happened on the pitch.

Villa absolutely dominated an away game, played the other team off the park. So much so, in fact that three of the opposition decided they wouldn’t actually stay on the field of play. 2 of them for, quite ridiculously, stupidly having a bit of a tantrum and fighting with each other. That the two “combatants” were Lee “rat-boy” Bowyer and Kieron “Diamond Earrings” Dyer will come as no surprise to anyone at all.

But more of that later. First the match, proper. Within 4 minutes of the kick off, Villa had a throw down the right hand side. Delaney to Davis, curling cross swung in towards Vassel, poor clearing header from the centre-back and JPA, back in the side after injury, adjusted his feet and absolutely belted the ball past Given to give the Villans in the upper slopes cause for leaping around and chanting “easy”. So we did.

Newcastle came at Villa quite strongly for a while, with Robert causing problems and our defence being dragged around a bit. Some solid tackling and bodies flung in the way, as well as a good save from Tommy S, held on to our lead. It wasn’t like it normally is though - Villa’s use of the ball, controlled football and quick movement was causing more problems for them, than they were to us.
In the first half we had, apart from the goal, 3 other really good chances. All fell to Barry. He hit the post with one right foot shot after cutting inside, volleyed over after chasing after a lobbed flick on from Darius and had another effort superbly blocked by their defender.
Newcastles main threat was from free kicks by Robert. With Shearer either winning or conceding a free kick just about each time he challenged for the ball, they had a few pot shots, but all were blocked, wide or saved. Dyer, too had a chance which he put wide.

So second half, could we get a second? Ridge was on for Olly at H-T.
Villa played better and better as the game went on, Vassels pace was the difference, but with the whole team playing well, and being well organised it was a joy to watch.
Darius charged down a defender, nicked the ball away, rounded Given, took the ball in on goal and was sticking it in the net when another defender, having got back onto the line then handballed the shot away. Result red card and a penalty.
Barry stepped up and blasted the ball into the net.
5 minutes later, Vassel, again, burst through 2 defenders into the box, was tripped by Carr.
Barry again belted the ball unstoppably into the same corner.
3-0 to us and them with 10 men. We were cruising.

It was about this point that “rat-boy” decided he didn’t like Kieron.
The geordies who had already left would have missed the bout. Unfortunately I half did too, as I was watching the ball about to be thrown in. All I saw was Barry grab hold of the narky midget with anger management problems and haul him away from a ruckus, still swinging and raging.

The ref and both linesmen consulted. Rat boy went off, and Dyer who I hadn’t seen do anything was sent off too, after some consulting.

With only 8 men on the pitch to oppose them, Villa just strolled the rest of the game. Nobby came on for Lee. The whistle went.

A romp in the sun. Amazing.
Some marks, quickly,

Tommy 8 - excellent goalkeeping.
Mark Delaney - 7.5 What a relief to have him back.
JLloyd 6.5 - decent defending, one slip nearly cost us
Olly 7. (Ridge 6)
Martin Laursen - 8.5 Superb MotM (just)
Lee Hendrie. Brilliant second half, OK first. 7.5
Steve Davies - 7
Hitz 6
Barry 8. Very, very good.
JPA 6.5 tired and went off eventually after getting clouted in the fisog by a ball.
Darius 8 - looked fit, fast and committed.

And finally, the manager. Usually the view doesn’t allow you to see much of the tactics, but from on high at Newcastle you could see the way the centre halfs were tracking the forwards way out of the box, Delaney was tracking Robert, and the organisation was splendid. Well done to DO’L and RA.

I still can’t quite believe what I saw.

• Like 2

The 4-2 in 2005, 1-0 inside 4 minutes from a mellberg header, kluivert equilised, I think Bellamy put them 2-1 before half time. Carlton cole made it 2-2 after the break. Can't remember who got the third but I think angel made it 4-2 with a cheeky lob over given

we got away with it that day, didnt Sorensen handball outside box at 2-2.

main memories

the 4-3 was a classic game even though we lost

relegating them was good

i remember a Shearer red-card

and the newcastle punch up was a good game as well for us

The 4-2 in 2005, 1-0 inside 4 minutes from a mellberg header, kluivert equilised, I think Bellamy put them 2-1 before half time. Carlton cole made it 2-2 after the break. Can't remember who got the third but I think angel made it 4-2 with a cheeky lob over given

Barry got the 3rd.

4-1 for me when Carew scored a hat-trick, went 1-0 down at half time, MON made two subs. I remember laughing that Bouma even attempted a shot never mind with his right foot, it trickled over the line with their keeper stranded. Then Carew was on fire. Remember we sang songs for Kevin Keegan in that game too.

4-1 for me when Carew scored a hat-trick, went 1-0 down at half time, MON made two subs. I remember laughing that Bouma even attempted a shot never mind with his right foot, it trickled over the line with their keeper stranded. Then Carew was on fire. Remember we sang songs for Kevin Keegan in that game too.

Yup, I think that's the game where Petrov and Mellberg (both being played out of position) spent the entire first half arguing with each other. They were both replaced at half time with Gardner and Harewood, who turned the game on it's head. 

'Twas a good day to be in the Holte.

Edited by Shillzz

Yup, I think that's the game where Petrov and Mellberg (both being played out of position) spent the entire first half arguing with each other. They were both replaced at half time with Gardner and Harewood, who turned the game on it's head. 

'Twas a good day to be in the Holte.

Yeh think it was the tactical genius of playing Petrov right midfield and Mellberg RB.

We're due a win over this lot after those two terrible losses.

The relegation game was hilarious. The Geordies scorned us so much for revelling in us relegating them, but the truth was they relegated themselves and they couldn't see it.

There are two things I always say when ever this match gets brought up. First that the way they booed and sang while Martin Laursen was saying his good byes was an utter disgrace. Second that football fans all over the country were laughing at them, not just us, and they would have got the same reaction at any other ground in the league.

They still really hate us for it don't they.  I remember when they were beating us 2-1 at VP last season and we looked doomed to relegation they were all singing "You're not laughing anymore" to us.  Well hopefully we will be again tomorrow.

Â