The History Thread

maqroll

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty interesting stuff.

The Soldiers' Songs

Inside an unassuming Berlin building lies a collection of recordings made in German prisoner of war camps during the first World War. Among the thousands of shellac discs are recordings of Irish soldiers and their songs, poems and stories. A century on, they come to life again here: the soldiers’ songs, and how they came to be sung.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I heard Stalin quoted as saying that to beat Nazi Germany, "America provided the money, Britain provided the time and Russia provided the blood". Hard to argue with that.

But who knew that quite so many Chinese died as well? No wonder things between China and Japan are a bit frosty.

I heard Stalin quoted as saying that to beat Nazi Germany, "America provided the money, Britain provided the time and Russia provided the blood". Hard to argue with that.

But who knew that quite so many Chinese died as well? No wonder things between China and Japan are a bit frosty.

I've read a few books on the Rape of Nanking (the Japanese still deny it took place  to my knowledge)  but even allowing for certain amount of  embellishment that these kind of events bring up , it was still pretty barbaric by any stretch

You should read up on the Rape of Nanking.  There are some documentaries on YouTube too. It's absolutely harrowing. 

The Japanese army were evil in WW2. Some of the stories are horrific

True but it is still a mystery why we were quicker to forgive, or at least find excuses for the Germans, than the Japanese in the post-war period.

The propaganda was pretty fierce:

when I'm feeling bored but mischievous, I'll drop in to conversation with the mother in law that I like Japan or that I know a nice Japanese guy

she's not quite got to the forgiving stage yet

• Like 1

Â