Loan Watch: 2013-14

OutByEaster?

Dont really get why Given is coming back - Steer is our #2, Given has done well at boro and wanted to stay and Karanka said he wanted to keep him. I can't imagine it came down to finances as id assume we're paying 80% of his wages.

seems odd

I think the issue is something in the loan rules where if a loan is renewed to the end of the season we could no longer have a recall clause, which'd leave us in trouble if one of Guzan/Steer got injured. guess we might still loan him short-term elsewhere

Dont really get why Given is coming back - Steer is our #2, Given has done well at boro and wanted to stay and Karanka said he wanted to keep him. I can't imagine it came down to finances as id assume we're paying 80% of his wages.

seems odd

I think the issue is something in the loan rules where if a loan is renewed to the end of the season we could no longer have a recall clause, which'd leave us in trouble if one of Guzan/Steer got injured. guess we might still loan him short-term elsewhere

The way I understand it is you can't recall outside of the window. That's why month loans are so frequent. A deal with Boro would've had to last till the end of the year.

Right then, Bowery starting for Doncaster, Grealish with a goal and an assist already for Notts County, Carruthers injured (MK Dons have only put four on the bench), Gardner is starting for Sheffield Wednesday, I'll just check on Drennan.

Oh and the two seniors - Given a clean sheet, Bent not in Fulhams squad.

• Like 2

From the official site:

Jack Grealish and Michael Drennan got on the scoresheet for their loan clubs at the weekend - although both Villa academy aces ended up on the losing side.

Grealish has been a key figure for Shaun Derry's side in their battle against relegation - and he netted his fifth goal of the campaign in Saturday's League One clash against Shrewsbury.

The 18-year-old winger helped the Magpies take a 2-0 lead, scoring from close range after eight minutes before winning a penalty which Alan Sheehan converted.

But Shrewsbury fought back to win thanks to Jon Taylor's brace and a David McAllister effort.

Drennan's debut strike for Portsmouth was the only crumb of comfort the south coast side could take from their 5-1 defeat at Scunthorpe.

The Irish teenager came off the bench in the second half and headed in a consolation goal for Pompey.

But the damage was already done as David Syers' hat-trick and goals from Sam Winnall and Paddy Madden had given Scunthorpe an unassailable advantage.

Gary Gardner played his part for Sheffield Wednesday as they extended their unbeaten away run to nine games with a 2-0 win at Huddersfield.

Gardner played the full 90 minutes as Wednesday won courtesy of goals from Jeremy Helan and Jacques Maghoma.

Also in the Championship, Shay Given kept a clean sheet in his final game for Middlesbrough.

Given, who returns from his loan spell at the Riverside this week, helped Boro to a goalless draw against Leeds.

Jordan Bowery was involved in Doncaster's 1-0 defeat at Yeovil, while Enda Stevens was an unused substitute.

Goalkeeper Aiden Grant was unable to prevent Arlesey Town losing 2-0 to Truro City in the Southern Premier Division.

Darren Bent missed out on Fulham's 1-1 draw at West Bromwich Albion.

Injury ruled Samir Carruthers out of MK Dons' 1-0 defeat to Bradford.

Shay Given has kept a lot of clean sheets. Anyone seen him play recently? Is he back in good old shape?

• 2 weeks later...
Â