Sunderland vs Aston Villa 1895 - the oldest football painting in the world

The_Rev

8dhmWOC.jpg

Not much more to add than that recently, but a little piece of history that the Villa are a part of.  It was commissioned to celebrate Sunderland's title win in 1895, back in the days when Sunderland and Villa were the two dominant forces in English football. Between us we won the title nine times (Villa 5, Sunderland 4) in eleven seasons between 1891/92 and 1901/02.  It was restored recently and is on display at The Stadium of Light, Sunderland. 

(source)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That painting has been in the reception area at the Stadium Of Light for years & is absolutely magnificent. It is also huge & practically covers one of the walls. If ever you get a chance, don't take my word for it, go & see it for yourselves.

I've stood there & marveled at it & it is an absolute joy to behold.

Do it.

• Like 1

where's the Ref though? and did they have linesmen back then?

I remember reading an article saying that the ref used to stand on the half way line back in the way, and each team provided an "umpire" for their half. The ref decided whether or not the umpire made the right call, and whistled or ignored them accordingly. I assume that's where the linesman idea came from

• Like 1

It's a comment form that site.

Obviously that person isn't aware of the stats that Rev pointed out earlier. Villa and Sunderland certainly did NOT suck then.

or now. Of course. BUt especially not then!

Â