Sunderland vs Aston Villa 1895 - the oldest football painting in the world

The_Rev

On 05/08/2013 at 01:51, The_Rev said:

http://i.imgur.com/8dhmWOC.jpg

Not much more to add than that recently, but a little piece of history that the Villa are a part of.  It was commissioned to celebrate Sunderland's title win in 1895, back in the days when Sunderland and Villa were the two dominant forces in English football. Between us we won the title nine times (Villa 5, Sunderland 4) in eleven seasons between 1891/92 and 1901/02.  It was restored recently and is on display at The Stadium of Light, Sunderland. 

(source)

I’m pretty sure you can see @TRO in the crowd. Front row holding his pillow for the coach trip home. 

• Haha 2

On 05/08/2013 at 13:43, villa-revolution said:

That painting has been in the reception area at the Stadium Of Light for years & is absolutely magnificent. It is also huge & practically covers one of the walls. If ever you get a chance, don't take my word for it, go & see it for yourselves.

I've stood there & marveled at it & it is an absolute joy to behold.

Do it.

Just realised I gave this post its first 'like' 9 years after it was initially posted.

That must be some sort of record. See kids, patience is the key.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Sadly, the patience of the poster ran out a long time ago - he hasn’t logged in since 2014 😂

All revolutions die out eventually. 

On 06/08/2013 at 13:07, NormandyVillan said:

I just checked Villa's results against Sunderland for the 1894-95 season, and Villa lost 1-2 at home (at Perry Barr) and drew 4-4 away.

So does this painting actually depict Villa's ground at Perry Barr?

Villa also played Sunderland, at Ewood Park apparently, the FA Cup semi-final in March that year and won 2-1, going on to win the cup.

Â