Manchester United

BOF

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The longer this phase of being a non-entity on the European stage goes on they’ll lose more and more worldwide supporters and revenue.

I hope so but Liverpool weren't great for 15 odd years and kept millions of plastics 

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I hope so but Liverpool weren't great for 15 odd years and kept millions of plastics 

People don’t change the football team they support, regardless of where they are from.

I notice loads more little kids in Man City shirts though and it’s pretty rare to see a kid in a Man U shirt where I live so it seems likely Man U will not capture so many of the next generation of supporters. 

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

People don’t change the football team they support, regardless of where they are from.

I notice loads more little kids in Man City shirts though and it’s pretty rare to see a kid in a Man U shirt where I live so it seems likely Man U will not capture so many of the next generation of supporters. 

Maybe. If you were desperate to be popular though and so supported the 'best' team when you started following football and they end up being totally shite and you look like a complete loserino I'm not sure glory hunting fans fragile ego's could take that

I think more than ever youngsters support players rather than teams.

I know lads that followed Ronaldo from Madrid to Juventus to Manchester United. 

There’s a lad on my sons team who I assumed supported Spurs (not sure why) due to the Spurs kits he wore, now he’s rocking up to training in Bayern Munich kits with Kane on the back.

Also polish lad in the team was wearing Bayern Munich kits, now wearing Barcelona because of Lewandowski.

• Like 3

their popularity will suffer from dilution more than anything else, there's more teams and players to follow and more accessibility to games from all over the world

but its not just them who will suffer from it

and despite the dent you'd be joking if you then started tacking on things like "we can catch them..."

same as what was discussed with barca last week they'll stay being a **** huge club even if they have a 10+ year dry spell, they've got too solid a foundation

1 hour ago, Genie said:

There’s a lad on my sons team who I assumed supported Spurs (not sure why) due to the Spurs kits he wore, now he’s rocking up to training in Bayern Munich kits with Kane on the back.

Also polish lad in the team was wearing Bayern Munich kits, now wearing Barcelona because of Lewandowski.

Be interesting to know what happens to this support when the chosen player retires. Do they stay loyal until the very end, or do they scope round and look for a young player with a view to moving on early to him? 

And do they go for the same sort of player? I imagine creative/forward players receive the majority of this following, but do they switch from a Haaland-esque goal machine in their younger years, but as they get older they think “actually my tastes are a bit more refined and that De Bruyne fella is where it’s really at…”.

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I think it's likely both.

Only speaking from personal experience, but I owned more non-Villa shirts than Villa shirts as a kid.  I was a Villa fan, but my favourite players played elsewhere and I had those shirts too.

9 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

So he gets to have a fully paid sabbatical for (alleged) domestic abuse. F*ck me, talk about rewarding someone for bad behaviour. I could never support a club that behaves in this manner.

You can’t punish someone every time an accusation is made against them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

You can’t punish someone every time an accusation is made against them. 

My point is that they don't get punished, nowhere near punished because they are rich. Greenwood has not been punished, just used his wealth to avoid consequences (see Prince Andrew). He's back playing football for an obscene salary. If you or I went to our employer and said we would be in the local press for domestic abuse, we would be sacked for gross misconduct , because we are not worth millions of pounds to them. Money talks. Always has and always will, I'm just pointing out the difference between the consequences for the rich and "poor". How is being told not to turn up to work on full (obscene) pay punishment? He or manure will pay off the accusers, everything swept under the carpet and rinse and repeat.

12 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

If you or I went to our employer and said we would be in the local press for domestic abuse, we would be sacked for gross misconduct , because we are not worth millions of pounds to them. 

No we wouldn't be. Your employer can't sack you because you are in the local papers for something. Even if you were convicted of domestic abuse your employer still couldn't sack you, assuming it didn't interfere with you being able to perform your job. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

My point is that they don't get punished, nowhere near punished because they are rich. Greenwood has not been punished, just used his wealth to avoid consequences (see Prince Andrew). He's back playing football for an obscene salary. If you or I went to our employer and said we would be in the local press for domestic abuse, we would be sacked for gross misconduct , because we are not worth millions of pounds to them. Money talks. Always has and always will, I'm just pointing out the difference between the consequences for the rich and "poor". How is being told not to turn up to work on full (obscene) pay punishment? He or manure will pay off the accusers, everything swept under the carpet and rinse and repeat.

if that was in your employment contract you would, man utd can only do what is in his contract

the difference between us mere mortals and them is that money does talk in the sense that getting rid of you or me from our jobs would cost considerably less

my employers don't have to worry about breaching my contract id probably get 3 to 6 months gardening leave (also known as being told not to turn up to work while still being paid...) man utd probably do have to worry about breaching Anthony's £65m odd contract

40 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

They will get punished if found guilty.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

No we wouldn't be. Your employer can't sack you because you are in the local papers for something. Even if you were convicted of domestic abuse your employer still couldn't sack you, assuming it didn't interfere with you being able to perform your job. 

Edit - ignore me we’re talking about allegations not convictions 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

Â