Manchester United

BOF

Man Utd didn't play particularly bad last night, it's just that Man City is such a great team with set roles performed brilliantly. Yaya Toure is slowly turning into one of my favorite players to watch in football, he has the strength like no-one else and the touch and close control of a little Spaniard. Although a few have been penalties, he's now up to 17 goals and we still have a lot of games left. Silva orchestrated the whole thing last night, and when Yaya is up high Fernandinho will lay low to take on the counters. United did play well between 20 and 70 minutes, but when you are one or two notches behind a team that is fully prepared, you have no chance at all. Mata should have scored, Welbeck should have scored and so on. It could have been a couple of goals the other way as well.

The problem is Moyes, and after some initial benefit of the doubt, I cannot see how he will turn this into a successful stint. He lacks the charisma, he lacks the tactical know-how to change games and he just isn't equipped with enough tools to beat managers like Guardiola, Mourinho et al. People have been bashing their squad the entire season, but these are the exact players that won the league last season - so they should have performed much better. I never gave them a shot at winning this year, not even under Ferguson, but you don't go finishing 30 points behind last season just because the squad is a year older. Van Persie has been out a lot for sure, but last season Rooney didn't perform at all and now he is. They have got more than enough firepower to beat most teams and also sustain a better challenge against the better teams, but Moyes doesn't know how to do it. Simple as that.

Bayern can and will be dramatic. If Bayern avoid anything like harsh penalties, red cards and such, it can turn into a 9-0 total as it is right now. Except for the economic windfall, David Moyes is the last person I would want to be right now. I remember I had a job ten years ago that I was vastly unprepared and too young to do, like cold-calling people to get them to partake in investment meetings, and I felt like a loser. Just imagine what this guy is feeling...

• Like 1

Regarding Fergie and his recommendation of Moyes, anyone think he knew Moyes wasn't going to do a great job, but he wanted to protect his own legacy, because Moyes doing badly makes him look even better? Or is that an overly cynical view?

Man Utd didn't play particularly bad last night, it's just that Man City is such a great team with set roles performed brilliantly. Yaya Toure is slowly turning into one of my favorite players to watch in football, he has the strength like no-one else and the touch and close control of a little Spaniard. Although a few have been penalties, he's now up to 17 goals and we still have a lot of games left. Silva orchestrated the whole thing last night, and when Yaya is up high Fernandinho will lay low to take on the counters. United did play well between 20 and 70 minutes, but when you are one or two notches behind a team that is fully prepared, you have no chance at all. Mata should have scored, Welbeck should have scored and so on. It could have been a couple of goals the other way as well.

im sorry but United were atrocious bordering on disgraceful. their performance was even worse than us vs Stoke, only De Gea, Jones and Rooney came out of that with any credit. City weren't as good as Liverpool 2 weeks ago and yet should have won by 5 or 6 if ddint turn off for about 20 minutes before half time.

cant remember Hart having a save to make

I know many will go on about Rene being kept on, however a person he should have kept on is Mike Phelan. Another thing remember when United fans stated Rio was better than McGrath, yesterday proved that without pace Rio is your bang average CB, who couldn't read the game to save his life.

Manchester United supporters vented their anger at the former manager Sir Alex Ferguson at the end of the shambolic 3-0 derby defeat to Manchester City at Old Trafford. In the first signs of open revolt at David Moyes, fans furiously questioned Ferguson's decision to appoint the Scot as his replacement.

With Moyes also receiving verbal abuse from supporters and stewards being asked to guard "The Chosen One" banner that hangs at the stadium's Stretford End after the 167th Manchester derby, the ire shown towards Ferguson, who is a club director, will cause serious questions at boardroom level.

Moyes has consistently spoken of how the support has stood by him throughout his overseeing of a dismal title defence. This defeat guarantees United will end with their poorest ever points tally in the Premier League era, with their previous lowest being 75.

City took only 43 seconds to take the lead through Edin Dzeko, who also scored again in the 56th minute, before Yaya Touré sealed United's humiliation with a third for City at the end. That provoked fans to target Ferguson as he sat in the directors' box at the final whistle.

finally the man who should be blamed

Yep, how can you let a manager choose his successor?

Rio was a top defender, who read the game well and was comfortable on the ball. Even if you took away his pace he would still of been quality between 2000 and 2010.

So why does he look so bad now? His basic defensive skills weren't even there yesterday. Plus between that era he'd be in his prime, McGrath performances never let up in his late 30's.

Regarding Fergie and his recommendation of Moyes, anyone think he knew Moyes wasn't going to do a great job, but he wanted to protect his own legacy, because Moyes doing badly makes him look even better? Or is that an overly cynical view?

its hard not to think that everthing he does is to benefit him personally. He could have hired much more proven managers, but he hired moyes. Def raises questions

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Rio was a top defender, who read the game well and was comfortable on the ball. Even if you took away his pace he would still of been quality between 2000 and 2010.

So why does he look so bad now? His basic defensive skills weren't even there yesterday. Plus between that era he'd be in his prime, McGrath performances never let up in his late 30's.

I think McGrath had pretty good players around him at the backend of his career with Southgate and Ehiogu. The united back 4 as a unit are really poor, not just Ferdinand. Even with Vidic in they are the same. 

But how much of an influence did McGrath have on those players?   We signed Southgate to be a midfielder but he ended up playing at centre half. Having a player like Paul McGrath alongside you in that situation is about as perfect as you'd ever want it to be. 

• Like 1

I think other aspects of his game have gone too, like his heading, positional sense and concentration. It's not just his pace that has gone, I first noticed the decline in 2011, he will leave the club at the end of the season I think.

Edited by Voinjama

There's nothing quite like a Fergie recommendation, he wrote a beautiful letter to Lerner that helped us land the great McLeish. 

Â