Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anyone that leaves me a voicemail.

Yeah, I'll only ever consider doing that for a work call, and even then it's dependent upon the recipient, the urgency and the complexity of the issue. Generally I don't. The missed call is usually enough.

• Like 1

Yep work only for me regarding leaving voicemails.

I guess if a business or something rings me then leaving a voicemail is cool. But someone I actually know?

Firstly why the **** are you calling me in the first place? And secondly, unless you're dying, you can say it on WhatsApp

• Like 1

How hard it appears to be for a vast number of people to say their address

There is an absolute standard its not hard

Building number, Street, Suburb, City, Postcode

Taking that to a more local level

Building number, street, suburb

Why do so many people mix up the order of these items? 

• Confused 1

Just now, bickster said:

How hard it appears to be for a vast number of people to say their address

There is an absolute standard its not hard

Building number, Street, Suburb, City, Postcode

Taking that to a more local level

Building number, street, suburb

Why do so many people mix up the order of these items? 

Never ever heard someone say this any other way. Must be a perk of taxi's. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Never ever heard someone say this any other way. Must be a perk of taxi's. 

This is my daily trawl through voice recognition logs and  its amazing how many people do this, the other favourite being to miss out the building number altogether, like they expect the building number to be a supplemental question

If we're talking about people getting into a taxi and telling the driver where they are going then just blurting out a postcode seems to be the new idiocy

Standard Response: I don't deliver letters, what's the name of the road.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

If we're talking about people getting into a taxi and telling the driver where they are going then just blurting out a postcode seems to be the new idiocy

I suspect the assumption is that the days of 'the knowledge' are long gone, and that today's cabbies just go by satnav. 

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is my daily trawl through voice recognition logs and  its amazing how many people do this, the other favourite being to miss out the building number altogether, like they expect the building number to be a supplemental question

If your drivers can't cope with finding somewhere from a postcode you should hire people who can, like drug dealers.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Sports deciding to cut the cord could be what finishes Sky off as a dominant player. Now TV is alright, but they're not charging 50, 60, 70 quid a month without the live sports. 

Sky Sports on Now TV is £25 per month at present. If you want to add Entertainment and Movies, its a £10 each. Although they have added adverts to the on demand stuff which is sneaky but that can be removed by paying £5 for that. So £50 all in. 

I don't see why people have the full fat Sky packages now as they seem to be far more expensive?

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

You may as well put your nob in my pint. Send an IM like a sane person.

Is that what happened in the pub on Friday night?! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

If your drivers can't cope with finding somewhere from a postcode you should hire people who can, like drug dealers.

Its not a case of using the postcode. They get in sit down and just say L24 3HG. Do I look like I have any form of sat nav ready to take this information

I'll also ask the question, what is the name of the street.... ummmm

Postcodes are the last resort

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I suspect the assumption is that the days of 'the knowledge' are long gone, and that today's cabbies just go by satnav. 

I've even had customers complain that I'm not using a SatNav. Go figure!

1 hour ago, bickster said:

To be fair I think this is a result of the vast amount of taxi drivers not knowing where anywhere is. In Birmingham anyway. 

Back before apps told them where to go whenever I got in a cab and said where I was going they’d almost always answer “where’s that?” Unless it was somewhere obvious. Hell I’ve even asked for Birmingham airport and had the taxi driver ask me which way to go. 

So it’s far easier to skip all that and just give them the postcode so they can put it in their sat nav. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

and had the taxi driver ask me which way to go. 

That isn't the reason taxi drivers ask you which way you want to go.

They ask you this so you've told them which way to go and going the long way is then your fault not theirs

Especially in your example of an airport

People are very tempted to say "Just go down the motorway" for example, the Motorway is is nearly always the longer route and fares are based on mileage. If you tell them to go down the motorway, then the driver is acting on your instructions.

Postcodes are shite for navigation

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

That isn't the reason taxi drivers ask you which way you want to go.

They ask you this so you've told them which way to go and going the long way is then your fault not theirs

Maybe your taxi drivers.

I can absolutely guarantee you that's not why the majority round here are asking.

It's not "which way would you like to go" or "which way is best". I've had that before and it's absolutely fine. A quick "oh straight down the Warwick Road would be great" and that's all they need.

It's "Do you know where that is?" followed by almost turn by turn instructions.

Before sat nav that is. Nowadays it just inevitably leads to "do you have a postcode so I can put it in my sat nav?"

People are just skipping the middle part

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I've even had customers complain that I'm not using a SatNav. Go figure!

Seeing the route on the satnav will give them comfort they're not being ripped off by taking unnecessary diversions and longer routes. 

I've complained to taxi drivers before for taking longer routes or driving well below the speed limit. 

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Seeing the route on the satnav will give them comfort they're not being ripped off by taking unnecessary diversions and longer routes. 

Hahaha thats exactly what Sat Navs do. Sat Navs aren't designed for Taxi Drivers who have an obligation to go via the shortest reasonable route unless otherwise instructed.

None of the currently popular SatNav apps (Google/Waze/Apple Maps) have a shortest route option, their algos are based on time not distance, they show you the quickest routes not the shortest. Unless its a short journey they are mostly useless. The best option you'll get is "Avoid Motorways"

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hahaha thats exactly what Sat Navs do. Sat Navs aren't designed for Taxi Drivers who have an obligation to go via the shortest reasonable route unless otherwise instructed.

None of the currently popular SatNav apps (Google/Waze/Apple Maps) have a shortest route option, their algos are based on time not distance, they show you the quickest routes not the shortest. Unless its a short journey they are mostly useless. The best option you'll get is "Avoid Motorways"

I didn't say the comfort they gained was genuine, but they'll still feel it. To most people quickest equals the shortest distance. They'll also think the meter is linked to time and not distance. 

9 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I didn't say the comfort they gained was genuine, but they'll still feel it. To most people quickest equals the shortest distance. They'll also think the meter is linked to time and not distance. 

No idea why, taxi meters have worked on distance since... since taxi meters were invented

Â