Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I have a vision that he sits behind a desk with a placard "knowledge manager" then people go to him and ask him questions. He answers all their questions seemingly without aid. But below the desk he has a tablet set to voice search on Google. Sneaky bastard!!

I get pissed off by love cheat failing golfers who cry 'racism' when somebody has the gall to mention 'fried chicken' as part of an a la carte menu being considered for a social gathering.

WTF is that all about? Since when has friend chicken been used as a racial remark? Grow a set Tiger you overpaid, cheating, slag.

And on this matter, any references to 'roast beef' being used to define an 'Englishman' or a 'whitey' like me. Water off a duck's back - I'll just laugh at you.

Move along.

Since when has friend chicken been used as a racial remark?

Erm... I can't give you an exact date, but quite a long time!
Fuzzy Zoeller got in trouble for a similar remark about Woods in 1997.

I think you've maybe missed the special cultural context of that remark but anywho

It wasn't very clever, it was quite offensive.

But Sergio has apologised so  agreed time to move along.

I get pissed off by love cheat failing golfers who cry 'racism' when somebody has the gall to mention 'fried chicken' as part of an a la carte menu being considered for a social gathering.

WTF is that all about? Since when has friend chicken been used as a racial remark? Grow a set Tiger you overpaid, cheating, slag.

And on this matter, any references to 'roast beef' being used to define an 'Englishman' or a 'whitey' like me. Water off a duck's back - I'll just laugh at you.

Move along.

I think the fried chicken remark is pretty borderline myself.

It's not necessarily a disparaging remark, though it is guilty of stereotyping black people, I suppose.

I can't imagine Ian Poultner kicking off because Mcilroy invited him over for some jellied eels. It was clearly a light-hearted remark, and though we shouldn't generalise people according to where they are from or how they look, this one wasn't really worthy of all the fuss that it caused. It was a silly comment to make in the public eye, but he doesn't deserve to be tarred with the racist brush off the back of it.

Edited by Shillzz

It was light hearted and clearly a joke, so I agree it should be brushed over. He's not a racist for saying it.

But it IS stereotyping black people and he should realise, as he has, that it's not acceptable to say that kind of thing.

But going back to the original post, it IS a "racial remark" and from what i can see was intended that way despite, as I said, obviously being a joke.

Meh... it's all to easy to play 'that' card. Personally, I'd never heard of the fried chicken thing.

I bet KFC are shitting themselves.

And, hypothetically (and without me knowing), had I thrown a fried breast of chicken onto the pitch in the direction of Rio Ferdinand (to use a topical example), I could be charged with not only throwing a missle onto the playing area, BUT also charged with a racial hate crime. I guess with certainty that he would take to Twitter to make some disparaging remark that only 'he' could get away with. Does it become different then if I throw the fried chicken at Bradley Guzan? Can you even buy friend chicken at Villa Park? If not, is this why? Maybe Randolph is offended by it.

What a load of cack.

What next? The throwing of a sporran in the direction of Barry Bannan makes him feel inferior? I would bet ten quid to Villa Talk and ten quid to Acorns that he would just laugh at you.

If I invited Lambo round for dinner and told him that I was serving haggis because he's a Scot, is that equally deemed to be a racial hate crime?

There's only one person in all that to look silly - and that's the love cheat golfer with the inferiority complex.

<off to the other thread now about businesses and products people boycott>

Edited by Raver50032

Meh... it's all to easy to play 'that' card. Personally, I'd never heard of the fried chicken thing.

That's surprising. But I assure you, the stereotype that black people love fried chicken has been around for decades.

in view of the fact that another golfer had already used the same slur / insult

What other reasoning, besides race, would Garcia have to associate Tiger Woods to fried chicken ?

That's surprising. But I assure you, the stereotype that black people love fried chicken has been around for decades.

The stereotype has existed for decades. But, like haggis with the Scottish, mentioning it as part of a joke does not mean that one views himself as racially superior to another. Where would comedy (and VT) be without racial jokes?

Mountain. Molehill.

• Like 1

The stereotype has existed for decades. But, like haggis with the Scottish, mentioning it as part of a joke does not mean that one views himself as racially superior to another. Where would comedy (and VT) be without racial jokes?

Mountain. Molehill.

I agree. And I've already said as much.

But I would add that someone in the public eye as much as Sergio Garcia is should know better than to make a remark like that.

It's a mountain out of a molehill, for sure. But it deserves a slap on the wrist.

in view of the fact that another golfer had already used the same slur / insult

What other reasoning, besides race, would Garcia have to associate Tiger Woods to fried chicken ?

I don't really follow golf unless it's Ryder Cup time, and had not heard of the other golfer's previous reference until yesterday.

In terms of Garcia's reasoning, who knows? I certainly don't. Reeling off my list of barbecue wares had I been hosting him, I would probably have fallen into the same trap.

But now, I am educated and so my dalliances with fried chicken are no more. Still frustrated as it shouldn't annoy me, but it does. It is, all to easy to play the victim. And he, an alleged role model too.

• Like 1

The fact I cut myself THREE times while shaving. 

I never have my NI number when I need it.

My car. It's a bloody petrol guzzler.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â