Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

23 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No different to being labelled a Daily Mail reader? Equally boring.

What's the stats for Teenage pregnancies in the UK, which is what the post also said. Can you throw in those stats too while you're on the stat mission. 

Didn't label you a Daily Mail reader at all.  I said "it's the kind of thing an avid Daily Mail reader..." - if you want to attach yourself to that and take offence then fair enough :D 

The teenage conception rate has, again, declined consistently over the last few decades.  @Stevo985 has already posted a link so I won't bother doing any more, but you can easily Google that sort of thing and find it out.

Happy to look up more stats for you if you don't want to just do it yourself.  Just let me know.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

I know it's anecdotal, but my partner's cousin told me in all seriousness that the only reason they had a fourth child was the increase in child benefits, and therefore that child was his favourite. It does happen. I don't read the Mail, I didn't get enraged, but I do think he is a prick.

Yeah, I'd agree with you.  Some people do it - there's always people doing everything.  But that being on the increase and a main reason for the behaviour of children these days?

I'm not buying that at all (and I don't think behaviour is any worse, any way!).

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Kids don't cost more than that though, surely? 

Maybe not, especially if you've kept all the old clothes, toys and stuff. It's a whole lot of work and stress for less than an hour and a half at minimum wage though.

If it were a financial decision and you're not having them because you actually just want to have another kid, it'd make more sense to do a couple of hours with Deliveroo or something. 

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, I'd agree with you.  Some people do it - there's always people doing everything.  But that being on the increase and a main reason for the behaviour of children these days?

I'm not buying that at all (and I don't think behaviour is any worse, any way!).

It's hard to tell if behaviour is getting worse, as judging children as a child yourself and as an adult is so subjective. I do think there is a greater separation between generations than there ever has been, and I do think it is down to technology. I also think technology has impaired the younger generations ability to communicate on a face to face level, something that is still important to the older generation.

Just now, luckyeddie said:

It's hard to tell if behaviour is getting worse, as judging children as a child yourself and as an adult is so subjective. I do think there is a greater separation between generations than there ever has been, and I do think it is down to technology. I also think technology has impaired the younger generations ability to communicate on a face to face level, something that is still important to the older generation.

Technology is a huge driver of interactional change, definitely.  I think society largely changing to having two full-time working parents makes an impact as well.  Children aren't getting the same attention from their parents that they were even 15 years ago.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Technology is a huge driver of interactional change, definitely.  I think society largely changing to having two full-time working parents makes an impact as well.  Children aren't getting the same attention from their parents that they were even 15 years ago.

This second part is so true, children needs their parents guidance and attention to become rounded individuals, and I think this is becoming a massive issue. In many ways society is creating its own problems, and I do believe this change was started in the 80's by Thatcher.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Maybe not, especially if you've kept all the old clothes, toys and stuff. It's a whole lot of work and stress for less than an hour and a half at minimum wage though.

If it were a financial decision and you're not having them because you actually just want to have another kid, it'd make more sense to do a couple of hours with Deliveroo or something. 

Was kidding, ya Doyle :P

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think most teachers would agree with me that over the last few years things have started to get worse. 

In my school, I can't remember it being as bad as it currently is in terms of behaviour, attitudes towards learning, engagement, entitlement etc..

Yep, absolutely agree with this (with the fairly big caveat of only speaking from experience of my own school, of course).

Over the last few years - even pre-Covid IMO - there’s been a steady deterioration.

Its also the case with parents - way more difficult, entitled, angry bell ends, moaning about anything and everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No different to being labelled a Daily Mail reader? Equally boring.

What's the stats for Teenage pregnancies in the UK, which is what the post also said. Can you throw in those stats too while you're on the stat mission. 

UK birthrate is definitely in reverse. I posted a table on here, can't seem able copy it now but here's a link 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281208/population-of-the-england-by-age-group/

Obviously Baby Boomers are dying out, the last big group is mine, children of baby boomers in the 50-54 age group. 

Since the other than a blip for 30-34 it's been a steady decline. 

When I was a nipper each couple famously had 2.4 children, that figure is now 1.5.

It's one of the reasons why we desperately need immigration, otherwise we're going to end up like Japan where their birthrate dropped much earlier and they've got a massive issue with elderly car with not enough young people paying tax to support the elderly. 

We're heading that way as well. 

2 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

I know it's anecdotal, but my partner's cousin told me in all seriousness that the only reason they had a fourth child was the increase in child benefits, and therefore that child was his favourite. It does happen. I don't read the Mail, I didn't get enraged, but I do think he is a prick.

It is dumb because it will always cost more to raise a child than the benefits you'll get paid. 

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

It is dumb because it will always cost more to raise a child than the benefits you'll get paid. 

I think for some people though having a child is a ticket to a council house or flat, or a larger one.

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

teachers jobs have changed a lot and they don't have the facility to physically touch kids now

Yeah, was different in my day with Mr "stroke your leg" Johnson. 

• Haha 1

Â