Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

43 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

air con rant

In the UK, has anyone ever heard of people being ill from AC?

Seems like every **** person over here gets ill if they're exposed to AC for even 5 mins.

If me and my wife go anywhere, the AC will make her ill 10/10.

Her sister is even worse.

I'd never heard of it before moving here

A lot of people get ill tbf when the air con goes on in our office. A mass case of hysteria, attention seeking and cardigan wearing.

48 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

air con rant

Seems like every **** person over here gets ill if they're exposed to AC for even 5 mins.

A google would suggest that it is a thing, but only because the air circulates germs etc that make you ill. So if it's a generally unvaccumed not regularly cleaned kind of place then it can make you ill.

But not the kind of ill where you would immediately feel shit. And it's not the actual aircon making you ill.

A bit like when people think being cold gives you a cold. It doesn't, it just makes you more habitable for germs

The windows down with the air-con on is often done so the words removed can share their shit taste in music blasting out the speakers.

It shouldn't piss me off, but it does. So perfect for this thread.

Edited by stuart_75

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

air con rant

Yeah, I get ill fairly regularly (just colds etc) from being back at work.  My immune system is just pretty shit so if there are germs to catch, I'll catch them - and air con apparently facilitates that.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The number of people driving around in cars that are clearly new/good enough to have air con; but have all of their windows down.

Fuel prices have gone up, so people are trying to save money.  What's the problem here?!

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Fuel prices have gone up, so people are trying to save money.  What's the problem here?!

What saves fuel? You actually use more fuel with your windows down due to the drag it causes.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What saves fuel? You actually use more fuel with your windows down due to the drag it causes.

I'm not sure that's true... but if it wasI imagine that could only possibly happen at high speed and I don't think Stevo is spotting this when driving on motorways.

Edited by bobzy

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

air con rant

Air con produces condensation. If a air con system is not serviced regular, that water will sit in the system and produce germs, which are then pumped around the room. It is a fact it causes illness, as it also blows other peoples germs around if you have all the windows and doors closed.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

I'm not sure that's true

It's not true. Aircon uses close to 10% extra in fuel. Having the windows down does not use anything remotely close to that. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I imagine these people probably had their air con on anyway.

And surely even if you're trying to save money on fuel, you make an exception for the two days that it's 38 **** degrees :D 

Somehow I don't think the guys driving round in a Lexus or a BMW are pinching the pennies by not using their aircon on the hottest day of all time

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine these people probably had their air con on anyway.

And surely even if you're trying to save money on fuel, you make an exception for the two days that it's 38 **** degrees :D 

Somehow I don't think the guys driving round in a Lexus or a BMW are pinching the pennies by not using their aircon on the hottest day of all time

Very judgey wudgey... 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The number of people driving around in cars that are clearly new/good enough to have air con; but have all of their windows down.

My daughter is one of those,.She prefers fresh air and ( I dont know what the speed limit is in the UK ) but over here  ( in town ) the speed is between 50kmh and 70kmh which does give you a decent breeze.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It's not true. Aircon uses close to 10% extra in fuel. Having the windows down does not use anything remotely close to that. 

May relate to older vehicles, but not on new vehicles, it hardly effects fuel consumption. Windows open does due to drag.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Air con produces condensation. If a air con system is not serviced regular, that water will sit in the system and produce germs, which are then pumped around the room. It is a fact it causes illness, as it also blows other peoples germs around if you have all the windows and doors closed.

There are multi things within Air Handling Units (AHU's) that kill bacteria to avoid this, like Ultra Violet lights, re-circulating the air to stop water settling in systems (legionella only grows in sedentary conditions), drain lines, leak-free coils and most obviously, filters (which get changes at regular intervals). 

AC shouldn't be making anyone sick, as long as there is a strategy/PPM schedule in place.  Maybe old systems in buildings where the building manager doesn't have a clue, and it's been left.. but in any office/retail space this shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 1

Â