Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

Rented a car 4 days before I needed it on the 22nd - £115 for 4 days. Trying to rent one now 4 days before I need it on the 3rd - £150 for 2 days. Cheers guys :thumb:

I often rent a car when I go to Cork on my hollybobs.

If I go in February or November then it'll cost me something like €20 for a week

If I go in July and August it'll be €200+ for the exact same car and exact same time period

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

Rented a car 4 days before I needed it on the 22nd - £115 for 4 days. Trying to rent one now 4 days before I need it on the 3rd - £150 for 2 days. Cheers guys :thumb:

Where from? 

My rental car next month from the 5th until the 10th is £592, went for the lucky dip in the end with a sat nav thrown in* that was one up from the cheapest about £30 more, spent a fair bit of time researching it too, not sure if because it's from the airport they just take the piss

Was also thinking about getting a transit van, never driven one before but it was about £250 cheaper 

* £15 a day for the sat nav to be guaranteed, that's a piss take, can't be many modern cars that no longer have them built in 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

£15 a day for the sat nav to be guaranteed, that's a piss take, can't be many modern cars that no longer have them built in 

going back to a previous conversation, phones do that shit now

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Where from? 

My rental car next month from the 5th until the 10th is £592, went for the lucky dip in the end with a sat nav thrown in* that was one up from the cheapest about £30 more, spent a fair bit of time researching it too, not sure if because it's from the airport they just take the piss

Was also thinking about getting a transit van, never driven one before but it was about £250 cheaper 

* £15 a day for the sat nav to be guaranteed, that's a piss take, can't be many modern cars that no longer have them built in 

Easirent Stansted. Literally rented one on the 22nd for the 26th thru 29th for £115 and now I want one for the 3rd and 4th of April and the price has more than doubled.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I often rent a car when I go to Cork on my hollybobs.

If I go in February or November then it'll cost me something like €20 for a week

If I go in July and August it'll be €200+ for the exact same car and exact same time period

These are 2 rentals a week apart. Albeit one is the end of March and one is the start of April. So Q1 and Q2. Maybe that's it? I dunno. A bit shit though.

Just now, bickster said:

going back to a previous conversation, phones do that shit now

Its for a work trip so I'm not having that on my own phone, if it was a work phone too then maybe it'd be different 

This is a follow on from my trip in January where they booked me a car but didn't pay for it leaving me with bill and because it was booked via a 3rd party they never sent me the requirements for the dvla check so it took me about 2 hours to get the car too, this time I said I book it all and claim it back but the cost of it has blown my mind 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its for a work trip so I'm not having that on my own phone,

You don't have Google Maps on your own phone? (or even Apple Maps is standard on an iPhone) Why would it matter whose phone it was? If you were installing some odd software, I'd get it but doesn't everyone in the world have google maps?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

You don't have Google Maps on your own phone? (or even Apple Maps is standard on an iPhone) Why would it matter whose phone it was? If you were installing some odd software, I'd get it but doesn't everyone in the world have google maps?

Im not using my data! 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Im not using my data! 

How little data do you get a month?

Before my current unlimited deal I waqs on 35GB a month and rarely hit 10GB even with streaming music about 5 or 6 hours a day on average

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

How little data do you get a month?

Before my current unlimited deal I waqs on 35GB a month and rarely hit 10GB even with streaming music about 5 or 6 hours a day on average

My current is 5gb pay as you go from Vodafone, in between phones at the moment, not sure where I'll be come the end of the year and what country to get a phone in 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

My current is 5gb pay as you go from Vodafone, in between phones at the moment, not sure where I'll be come the end of the year and what country to get a phone in 

If you imagine a taxi driver using our driver app, also uses Google Maps, the most data we've ever seen used in a month is 1.1 GB and most of that is our App not Google Maps, it really doesn't use that much data all all as long as you download the relevant maps themselves on WiFi. The GPS tracking data itself is absolutely minimal

Just now, bickster said:

If you imagine a taxi driver using our driver app, also uses Google Maps, the most data we've ever seen used in a month is 1.1 GB and most of that is our App not Google Maps, it really doesn't use that much data all all as long as you download the relevant maps themselves on WiFi. The GPS tracking data itself is absolutely minimal

Mines gone for the month because on Sunday my daughter turned the WiFi off on my phone whilst on an hour long facetime call to my mom, I was sat there happily watching YouTube videos on the night when it told me, didn't see it

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I think I had the best deal ever. I Worked in L.A. For 2 years. Well it was 3 weeks there and a  at home. I would fly to Lax on a Sunday pick the car up at the airport Avis then drop it off  weeks later. On my second trip the car was broken into. Nothing missing it was just work papers. They did break a passenger window. I phoned Avis, all insured no probs. Trouble was I was 40 mins from the airport to swap cars. So I asked if there was a nearer one . Turns out there was a small franchise just found the corner. I went to see them, and when chatting I said I had a car about 40 weeks again, the girls eyes lit up. We struck a deal, I would pick up a Honda civic or the like and On Monday morning go to hers and would get the best car they for the same price, and all the charges to her franchise. She was well happy. She would email me saying don't come in Monday I've got a Merc in on Tuesday etc.  was turning up in firebirds corvettes and the like, I did get called in by the customers Accountant to explain why I was driving a dodge viper, and how much were they paying.

Edited by colhint
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BOF said:

These are 2 rentals a week apart. Albeit one is the end of March and one is the start of April. So Q1 and Q2. Maybe that's it? I dunno. A bit shit though.

Easter holidays are kicking off as kids break up. I'm guessing prices have gone up due to that. 

Most rental companies raise prices the busier it gets. So if they have limited supply, they will charge more. I used to use Enterprise alot in my old role. £280 one week, £360 the next and so on. Joe public will always take the brunt of the higher prices.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That people expect footballers to remain in perfect athletic shape years after they retire

I'm not sure if it will get worse too 

Footballers now will spend more time behaving themselves, more time with dieticians and staying healthy and not drinking etc so when they do retire why wouldn't they go crazy? It sounds so obvious that you shouldn't eat a McDonald's or a kebab or go on a 17 pint bender but after years of being told you're not allowed to of course you'll do it when that voice has stopped, it shouldn't be surprising that they fall off a cliff health wise after retirement, if I had that kind of money god knows what state my health would be in

Would also wager that more than a few of the old boys are now on the pub tour circuit and drinking comes hand in hand with a bit of income for them, I wonder how many weekends razor ruddock is at a bar giving funny Liverpool stories and then being offered a pint as he walks the room, I'm sure the villa 82 lot are in Kidderminster harriers social club next Friday 

Â