Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Twitter is one of the quickest ways news is broken though, wasnt the Bin Laden death announced on Twitter before anything else? It is full of bullshit rumours though, but all part of the fun.

It can be hence the comment about its possible usefulness. Unfortunately, that's also what increases the potential for its influence to be pernicious.

The vast majority of tweets are either pernicious or just pointless imo.

It's like saying footballers are an honest lot because of people like Paul Scholes and Gabby. Nope, the other 99% of footballers have turned the profession into something of a mercenary ultra-capitalist enterprise, and a few decent people doesn't change that fact.

The few legit tweets out there don't negate the pointlessness of other tweets. Although fair enough as Anthony has said the key is to find people whose opinions you respect and whose sources are trustworthy.

P.S. "Tweet" sounds really ghey :lol:

Twitter can be great, as Anthony says it's the self filtering thats required

For example, I ate some cheese the other day and didn't have a clue what it was and wanted to know because I wanted to buy some.

Tweeted about it and had answers in minutes. A few suggestions were wrong , in fact all the suggestions were wrong but one person inadvertently put me onto the correct answer (then Lancs came along an hour later and told me the correct answer too) but everyone was trying to be genuinely helpful and by filtering the info I got the answer to my question. It's all about the way you take the info in.

re twitter. Don't confuse the medium and the message. If you were to substitute your issues with 'the telephone' instead of 'twitter' you'll get how ridiculous it all is. Twitter is a medium for people to talk shite, just like teh interwebs, just like the phone, just like on the blower and just like at the pub. The key is to find people whose opinions you respect and ignore the muppets.

Information gets disseminated much more quickly on twitter than via phone or talking at the pub though. So for every genuine bin Laden tweet you have you will probably receive another 100 false rumours - and these are all disseminated almost instantaneously. If you're new to Twitter the bad outweighs the good imo, unless, as you've said, you have the experience and prudence to know which sources to trust.

At any rate, Twitter doesn't seem to have caught on in Singapore yet, for some reason or another.

Oh and Twitter was very necessary in the downfall of the NotW - all those tweets getting sent to the advertisers, had their effect, the message from an outraged public got across very quickly to those companies who then applied the necessary pressure to set the whole ball rolling

Oh and Twitter was very necessary in the downfall of the NotW - all those tweets getting sent to the advertisers, had their effect, the message from an outraged public got across very quickly to those companies who then applied the necessary pressure to set the whole ball rolling

Fair enough, never thought of Twitter as a petition site.

Worth noting that it didn't work in the case of Iran though (along with a couple other major incidents that have slipped out of my mind)

For example, I ate some cheese the other day and didn't have a clue what it was and wanted to know because I wanted to buy some.

Tweeted about it and had answers in minutes. A few suggestions were wrong , in fact all the suggestions were wrong... It's all about the way you take the info in.

So, what you're saying is you require one or two clever people to give you the correct answer, or a gaggle of idiots to give enough wrong answers for you to solve the problem through the process of elimination?

:D

re twitter. Don't confuse the medium and the message. If you were to substitute your issues with 'the telephone' instead of 'twitter' you'll get how ridiculous it all is. Twitter is a medium for people to talk shite, just like teh interwebs, just like the phone, just like on the blower and just like at the pub. The key is to find people whose opinions you respect and ignore the muppets.

I'm assuming, mate, that wasn't aimed at my problem with twitter?

My problem(s) with twitter having been set out in a previous post. :?

Now if that isn't an advert for following you, I dont know what is! Thrilling stuff

Now if that isn't an advert for following you, I dont know what is! Thrilling stuff

:lol:

Yup, similar to the annoyingly vocal people who feel the need to constantly tell everyone that 'I'm just me, and if you don't like it, then... well... I don't care!' Yes, we get it, you realise that you're the type of person who annoys people but you aren't going to change.

Â