Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Agreeing a new fixed utility deal, then a month later getting an email saying they've put the price up.

I foresee angry phonecalls in my future.

See that's where for as high a % of my posts in this thread my missus happens to be I can honestly say I'm a 32 and a half year old man who doesn't even know which utility companies we're with

New trainee at work, and they don't talk, 12 and a half hours and they only speak about twice, baring in mind when you're training you're with someone for the full 12.5 hours.

I thought at first it was a shyness thing or just me, but we're almost four months in now and it's getting to the point where it's ridiculous, I'm talking to myself and explaining everything to the nth degree just to empty the silence.

Probably shouldn't piss me off because they seem to be picking up the job but it's just mentally exhausting and I really can't see them staying.

2 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

New trainee at work, and they don't talk, 12 and a half hours and they only speak about twice, baring in mind when you're training you're with someone for the full 12.5 hours.

I thought at first it was a shyness thing or just me, but we're almost four months in now and it's getting to the point where it's ridiculous, I'm talking to myself and explaining everything to the nth degree just to empty the silence.

Probably shouldn't piss me off because they seem to be picking up the job but it's just mentally exhausting and I really can't see them staying.

Training people in general is so shit. I hate it.

I feel bad because it's not their fault. We've all had to be in that position.

But it's boring and tiring.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Training people in general is so shit. I hate it.

I feel bad because it's not their fault. We've all had to be in that position.

But it's boring and tiring.

I did full time training for about three years. I really enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

A former workplace put lots of people off training anyone because if a trainee made a mistake, the trainer would have take some responsibility. Which meant every new starter had a horrible first month as nobody wanted to help and ended up being forced to do it. As a trainer you just hoped whoever you got had done similar work before or picked things up very very fast.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I did full time training for about three years. I really enjoyed it. 

I guess it depends on the training.

If it's proper training, like proper organised courses that you're delivering, then that's fine.

I was more talking about someone shadowing you and having to show them everything you do and walk through everything. That's what I hate

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If it's proper training, like proper organised courses that you're delivering, then that's fine.

I was more talking about someone shadowing you and having to show them everything you do and walk through everything. That's what I hate

Yeah, that's true. I was delivering structured courses, followed up with one-to-one support where necessary. 

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

100% this. 

Our training is either shadowing, or them completing work whilst monitoring everything they do as they do it in detail because as someone said above, any mistakes they make either now or the near future will be on my shoulders.

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, that's true. I was delivering structured courses, followed up with one-to-one support where necessary. 

Out of interest, did you ever have to train extremely quiet and timid people, and have any tips to help get them to engage and ask questions etc. 

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yea I can see how that's enjoyable. And I've done similar myself before (not full time) and enjoyed it.

17 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Out of interest, did you ever have to train extremely quiet and timid people, and have any tips to help get them to engage and ask questions etc. 

Occasionally. Although nothing as bad as the person you describe. Tough one. 

57 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

100% this. 

Our training is either shadowing, or them completing work whilst monitoring everything they do as they do it in detail because as someone said above, any mistakes they make either now or the near future will be on my shoulders.

What a brilliant system to have as an employer.  You save on training costs AND you get to push all the responsibility for the fallout onto your own employees.

"Yes, he made a mistake boss.  Because you hired someone who I can only assume was **** oxygen-deprived during birth and then dropped on their head".

1 hour ago, jjaacckk91 said:

".............."

• Like 2

This one is two fold

The other half and I have been invited to a movie themed fancy dress party. Some people's worst nightmare. not mine. I would love that.

However, I'm on a stag do so I'll have to miss it. That's number one.

But mainly what pisses me off is the OH's complete lack of imagination. Immediately I was like "We're going as Leelo and Corben Dallas". She said nobody would know who they are so no.

Now that she's going on her own, I've been giving her loads of ideas:

Ripley from Alien
The Bride from Kill Bill
Sarah Connor from Terminator (I even suggested changing halfway through the night to go from Terminator to T2)
Princess Leia (cliché but... you know)
Jennifer from back to the Future (again this would have worked better with me as Marty)

She doesn't like any of them. She's thinking of going as Elsa from Frozen or Snow White

**** off

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

She doesn't like any of them. She's thinking of going as Elsa from Frozen or Snow White

The woman in 101 Dalmatians has some scope,  big hair,  loads of makeup, long coat and attitude.

Not Frozen,  FFS.

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The woman in 101 Dalmatians has some scope,  big hair,  loads of makeup, long coat and attitude.

Not Frozen,  FFS.

That's what I said

"you're not a 6 year old child ffs"

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This one is two fold

The other half and I have been invited to a movie themed fancy dress party. Some people's worst nightmare. not mine. I would love that.

However, I'm on a stag do so I'll have to miss it. That's number one.

But mainly what pisses me off is the OH's complete lack of imagination. Immediately I was like "We're going as Leelo and Corben Dallas". She said nobody would know who they are so no.

Now that she's going on her own, I've been giving her loads of ideas:

Ripley from Alien
The Bride from Kill Bill
Sarah Connor from Terminator (I even suggested changing halfway through the night to go from Terminator to T2)
Princess Leia (cliché but... you know)
Jennifer from back to the Future (again this would have worked better with me as Marty)

**** off

I couldn't think of anything worse than a fancy dress party.

• Like 2

Â