Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Are you saying you don't believe in the zombie? He had a bad weekend for our sins. Sounds like you'e having the same.

Appalling comments for Easter, especially with the murders in Kenya. Really surprised at your tone-deafness. 

Before I go looking for what has happened in Kenya, I hope it is about zombies and / or supermarkets being forced to close because of bronze age myths, otherwise this would appear to be "posting for effect".

I do not suffer from amusia. However as with any disability, I don't think it's acceptable for you to categorise people based on things over which they have no control. Especially when it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Edited: It's really sad what's happened in Kenya but I don't see how it's related. Perhaps starting up the LHC caused the supermarkets to be closed and Kenya wasn't related to the original posts.

Are you being serious here? I can't tell. It seems as if you were suggesting that Christ is a "zombie" in your previous post.

You're the one judging other people by things they haven't said. You've also revealed an intolerance towards a disability.

According to the fable, Jesus was alive, then dead and then alive again. Zombie is the usual word for such a being in contemporary fiction. The bible contains a lot of this tripe; you should read it sometime. The red dragon with seven heads and ten horns is epic, especially when it sweeps a third of the stars in the sky down to Earth.

Not sure I follow. I don't mean to be judgmental. I meant "tone-deaf" in a figurative sense. It's a fairly common term in the US and usually used in politics. If that was offensive, I certainly regret that. Thanks for educating me. And Bible is capitalised, by the way -- and, yes, I've read it.

This is perhaps getting circular now. I am sorry if I offended you. 

Edited by Plastic Man

im still confused how it was an appalling comment?

I think if you're big into that jebus character, someone calling him a zombie might upset you a bit. Still, it's quite accurate, so why not ;-)

When records don't specify which side is which, when it's there but it's a little etching in the dead wax is just as annoying.

Edited by useless

Not sure I follow. I don't mean to be judgmental. I meant "tone-deaf" in a figurative sense. It's a fairly common term in the US and usually used in politics. If that was offensive, I certainly regret that. Thanks for educating me. And Bible is capitalised, by the way -- and, yes, I've read it.

Just because others use a discriminatory term like that doesn't justify your use of it. It's not even a nickname which may have had a previous meaning. It's a straight judgement based on a person's natural attributes.

Bible is often capitalised, but not always. For example "the bible of local cuisine". It means "a book considered authoritative". It's been corrupted to have a special meaning for various religions who try to claim it for their own. They often use it to describe a specific set of works, which is evidentially not the case when different factions use different versions.

Perhaps we could be grateful that a couple of times a year life can be kicked back a little bit and not be quite so 24/7 for quite so many people.

Whether you want to be religious or not is your personal option. For my part, I'm happy to have a couple of days a year when I can't buy shit from Argos or KFC. It's like family can be chilled and not just rat running and consuming.

If a quiet day off was announced to celebrate the spaghetti monster, do you know what, I'd embrace it and take the slower paced day. Even if it meant I couldn't go to Wilkinsons to buy paint until tomorrow.

I think we ought to have one of these weekends every month.

Just because others use a discriminatory term like that doesn't justify your use of it. It's not even a nickname which may have had a previous meaning. It's a straight judgement based on a person's natural attributes..
I agree. I have never heard or read any instance of this term "tone deaf" being used in a discriminatory manner. As I said, it's quite common as an acceptable and innocuous adjective in North American journalism. But I have no problem avoiding the term. Again, my apologies for causing offence. Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 1

I agree. I have never heard or read any instance of this term "tone deaf" being used in a discriminatory manner. As I said, it's quite common as an acceptable and innocuous adjective is North American journalism. But I have no problem avoiding the term. Again, my apologies for causing offence.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure it even makes sense using it in that manner, I wonder what it's corrupted from?

So I've done a little reading and it's used colloquially to mean "out of tune with one's subject matter". ie. a speaker is tone-deaf when unable to understand the argument that they are themselves making. A strange corruption. This can't be quite right though because if it is you are saying I'm stupid for implying that Jesus is a zombie.

Well, I mean zombies are technically 'undead', right? And Jesus rose from the dead but it's not like he was just a reanimated corpse, he was back to his normal self.

I guess what I'm saying is that both are fictitious and why are we arguing about it?

Edited by Ginko

I agree. I have never heard or read any instance of this term "tone deaf" being used in a discriminatory manner. As I said, it's quite common as an acceptable and innocuous adjective is North American journalism. But I have no problem avoiding the term. Again, my apologies for causing offence.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure it even makes sense using it in that manner, I wonder what it's corrupted from?

So I've done a little reading and it's used colloquially to mean "out of tune with one's subject matter". ie. a speaker is tone-deaf when unable to understand the argument that they are themselves making. A strange corruption. This can't be quite right though because if it is you are saying I'm stupid for implying that Jesus is a zombie.

In the US, it's never used for stupidity, but rather insensitivity to something the person ought to have more sensitive toward. Politicians are the usual suspects, often because of a policy they support or don't support that neglects the needs of a special interest group. You were accusing me of essentially being "tone-deaf" on amusia.  Very intelligent people are often accused of it. Here's a rather extreme recent instance from a newspaper "leader" in New Jersey:

EDITORIAL: Radio host tone deaf on ethics

Ethics policies that prohibit reporters and editors from accepting gifts, favors or special treatment in the course of doing their jobs are fundamental to responsible, objective journalism. Apparently New Jersey 101.5 radio and the host of its monthly "Ask the Governor" show, Eric Scott, have no such policy. Either that or no ethics.

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 1

Not being able to quit coke/sprite. IVe had litres of the stuff every day since i was a teenager and ive tried to quit about 150x in the past 4 years. I just cant do it. I can last about 2 days but then i "relapse" (lol relapse when talking about a drink :D ). Starting to get old and my metabolism isnt as fast anymore :(! Im getting skinnnyfat but i just cant quit the stuff. sigh. 138 calories in one can of coke. its insane.

Addiction is too strong. Nothing beats a nice cold can of coke 

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 2

Â