Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Oh yeah I forgot about this one the other day I meant to put this in here

My neighbour was nicked a few months ago, he had a grow on (28 plants) and it shorted his electric and started a fire, fire brigade came informed the police etc etc, he got off with 100 hours community service (how I don't **** know)

Anyways be still has no electricity and rather than get it sorted he said "I'll probably just move out and get another flat somewhere" that is what really pissed me off, I've been working since I was 16 and I'm stuck in this place and can't AFFORD to move out, him on the other hand who has no job can do it for pretty much free, it's **** crazy

that makes me sad.

i think too much of what 'entertainment' we consume is done passively i.e we let it wash over us - a film, tv show, album. books are slightly different as you kind of have to meet them half way, albeit not all, which possibly explains the rise of celebrity memoirs and other such fluff.

not that everyone needs to sit down and write an essay on what they just read/watched/listened to, but some level of engagement is probably beneficial.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I've listened to albums whilst sitting down.

But I don't think I've ever sat down with the sole intention of listening to an album, and doing nothing else whilst doing it.

I've recently fallen back in love with the ritual of vinyl.

Doing my best to take time out most days to do something I like.

Yesterday, I sat in a quiet, sunny churchyard waiting for the correct lighting on a 300 year old gravestone.

Today, I did the phone in bit on the BBC 6 morning show.

Tomorrow, I'm off to a record shop to buy an actual record.

Record Store Day (as nominated by chrisp65 in the Cheer You Up thread).

Vinyl is fashionable. What a load of hipster wank. LPs take up too much room, they ALWAYS get scratched, and they DON'T, repeat DON'T, sound any different to CDs. Oh, apart from the rumble, pops, crackles, clicks and skips.

What next, **** ing cassette day? 78 week? Wax cylinder fortnight?

Humbug.

disagree mike

give in 10 years (if not already) and people will say the same about CDs, we should all be listening to MPs, and we all just convert our CDs and vinyl to MP3 anyway, but i dont think anyone sits there on a saturday afternoon flicking through their itunes account or spotify playlists, IMO you cant beat having that physical collection, ive never bought a MP3 album, dont plan to either, got spotify to check things out

i collect vinyl, mainly singles because its the only way to buy them, not one of these who goes through huge collections at car boots hoping to find a smiths album, tend to buy 1 album a month and singles as and when i see them, work my way through bands

as for recordstore day, its great for exclusives, theres a lot of special editions released for that day, think last year i got a supersonic 10" that had never been released before and an ocean colour scene etched vinyl

the only negative thing about it is those who go there to buy records purely to sell them on, this year i want a johnny marr vinyl, guarantee they wont have any left when i get there, but by the time i get home there'll be 30 odd of them on ebay going for 5x the price, utter bastards

Funnily enough some of the other dads and I have arranged a Chinese take away and vinyl night ... Bring along any records you have that you've not played in ages

Alas I binned all my vinyl years ago but I did find my 12" copy of rat rapping by Roland Rat Superstar so I will be taking it with me and giving it a spin

Annoyingly my best mate from school had a family member who was manager of Shakatak , Sharon Redd and Mezaforte amongst others ... So early 80's I used to get given loads of pre release demos that we would put into cassette for our class mates , thus making me one of the cool kids ( Tbf It didn't take much where I went to school , not having 6 fingers on each hand and knowing both my parents already put me way ahead of most of my class mates )

I do miss vinyl records. There is a ritual to putting on a record that you can't duplicate any other way. And a little crackle can actually enhance the experience, depending on what style of music you're playing. Old jazz, Studio One style reggae and rock steady, blues...crackle gooood.

Â