Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

At this exact moment I don't want kids, but I definitely want them in the future. To me it's crazy to not want to carry on your bloodline.

Well it's certainly evolutionarily disadvantageous.

Bottom line: if you have kids, you know what life is like both with, and without them. If you don't, you only know what it's like without. You can try and imagine it, perhaps by observing friends, and you can come to a conclusion as to whether you think you'd like it or not, but you really can't know. It's a leap into the dark. All I know is that for me it was something that made my already OK life even better.

But should our own happiness be the only criterion we use when we decide to have children or not?

It makes me laugh when people who don't want kids act like having kids is negatively life changing and are generally stubborn about it.

Well... Having kids is life changing... And... If they don't want kids, then obviously to them it would be negatively life changing ;)

It's the almost bitter tones people use that gets my back up.

They can not want kids without making it sound like having kids is some sort of disability almost.

Having kids shouldn't give you a feeling of taking your independence away. You can still do all the things you were going to do without kids, with kids.

Bottom line: if you have kids, you know what life is like both with, and without them. If you don't, you only know what it's like without. You can try and imagine it, perhaps by observing friends, and you can come to a conclusion as to whether you think you'd like it or not, but you really can't know. It's a leap into the dark. All I know is that for me it was something that made my already OK life even better.

But should our own happiness be the only criterion we use when we decide to have children or not?
No, it absolutely should not. I was simply referring to the fact that the so-far-childless tend to focus on the imagined negative effects (time, money, responsibilty, etc.) of parenthood. I was pointing out that for me, those things rapidly became pretty much insignificant. Edited by mjmooney

It makes me laugh when people who don't want kids act like having kids is negatively life changing and are generally stubborn about it.

Well... Having kids is life changing... And... If they don't want kids, then obviously to them it would be negatively life changing ;)

They can not want kids without making it sound like having kids is some sort of disability almost.

Having kids shouldn't give you a feeling of taking your independence away. You can still do all the things you were going to do without kids, with kids.

It shows how the societal mores have changed.

Years ago, couples who didn't have kids, or couldn't, were branded as selfish because they didn't want to make the 'sacrifices' entailed in child-rearing.

Back then society (the prevailing ideology) wanted people to have children and it was reflected in people's attitudes.

These days when it takes two wages to pay a mortgage and the government needs women in the workplace, consuming and paying taxes, attitudes have magically reversed.

• Like 1

At this exact moment I don't want kids, but I definitely want them in the future. To me it's crazy to not want to carry on your bloodline.

Well it's certainly evolutionarily disadvantageous.

explain and elaborate........

Years ago, couples who didn't have kids, or couldn't, were branded as selfish because they didn't want to make the 'sacrifices' entailed in child-rearing.

Back then society (the prevailing ideology) wanted people to have children and it was reflected in people's attitudes.

These days when it takes two wages to pay a mortgage and the government needs women in the workplace, consuming and paying taxes, attitudes have magically reversed.

But then the opposing view says that we need more children as the workers of tomorrow to pay for an ageing society.

Let's face it chaps, the government can only see as far as the end of their noses.

Whilst they should be looking into the distant future, we all know they do things "for todays voters" - see immigration issues and Mr Farange...

But then the opposing view says that we need more children as the workers of tomorrow to pay for an ageing society.

We seem to have reached the conclusion that it is cheaper to import population rather than grow our own; in short, we have concluded that other countries have a 'comparative advantage' in child production (they incur the costs and we enjoy the benefits).

This gives us our desired outcome, of, an increasing working population, more freedom for women, and economic growth.

It's all gone off in here!

My view was that I don't want kids. If you want kids, then great, happy for you! However, i just don't see myself as a parent. I struggle to look after myself!  :D  Perhaps its me being selfish but I don't want the responsibility of looking after a child. I don't think I am ready and unsure if I ever will be  :)

• Like 4

My view was that I don't want kids. If you want kids, then great, happy for you! However, i just don't see myself as a parent. I struggle to look after myself!  :D  Perhaps its me being selfish but I don't want the responsibility of looking after a child. I don't think I am ready and unsure if I ever will be  :)

Although, if truth be understood, it is never a bloke's choice these days.

A woman's right to choose is inviolable - her body, her choice.

If a man wants children but the woman doesn't, it is an attack on her freedom to pressure her to have a child.

If she wants children and the man does not, it is considered a denial of a woman's right to fulfil her maternal drives.

Having an opinion other than enthusiastic agreement with her choice, is also not allowed.

facebook does my head in sometimes, ive never had an account and never will. some of the shit people put on it drives me mad, i dont mind people saying how much they love their kids or how proud they are of them but not all the time.  i mean come on,we all love our kids and are proud to be their mommy or daddy but some people just do it for attention. what pisses me off as well is when mums slate the kids dad all over facebook and vice versa.

Although, if truth be understood, it is never a bloke's choice these days.

A woman's right to choose is inviolable - her body, her choice.

If a man wants children but the woman doesn't, it is an attack on her freedom to pressure her to have a child.

If she wants children and the man does not, it is considered a denial of a woman's right to fulfil her maternal drives.

Having an opinion other than enthusiastic agreement with her choice, is also not allowed.

A rather cynical view, but undoubtedly a common scenario. 

All the more reason that couple should sort out the terms of their relationships before they get too committed. Although even then, one partner may change their minds later. 

We were lucky, we agreed that children were not the reason for our relationship, but that we were not opposed to the idea either. We both warmed to the idea of becoming parents about the same time (after five years of marriage), so that was OK. Despite the inevitable ups and downs (which is life, anyway) we've never regretted it for a minute. 

• Like 1

i cant imagine how anyone would not want kids at somepoint in their life but its each to their own. i think there are a lot of people out there who dont have kids and say they dont want them because of this or that, but deep down they do want them and they just put this front on. but there are plenty who really dont want kids and thats fine, having kids is a huge sacrifice and some people are just not prepared to do it and are in their rights to do what they want to do.

FACEBOOK MOMMY.

facebook mommy
  1. One who is a worthless mom in real life but posts photos of them with their kids like; #lovemybabies #kidsaremylife
  2. A mom who spends 5 hours a night at the club, 10 hours a day asleep, 4 hours a day working, 2 hours a day shopping/eating/drinking coffee with her girls, an hour and a half showering and getting dressed, and 30 minutes with her kids taking "usies" and posting to facebook using hashtags such as: #mylife #allaboutthem #allday #mommasangel
"Girl did you see Becky on Facebook with her kid?"

"Yeah girl, we had just come home from the club when she took it! We were so wasted!"

"Yeah she's a total facebook mommy!"

I have a fair few of these in my friends list. They're also newly obsessed with wine so there's usually an update or two every day with some munter staring at me with a glass of wine in their hand. WINNNNEEEEEEEE I DRINK WIINNEEEE

Oh god yes. That is so annoying. A photo of a glass of wine with caption like "don't mind if I do" or "been one of those days".

that annoys me so much when people put " dont mind if i do".

• Like 1

facebook does my head in sometimes, ive never had an account and never will. some of the shit people put on it drives me mad, i dont mind people saying how much they love their kids or how proud they are of them but not all the time.  i mean come on,we all love our kids and are proud to be their mommy or daddy but some people just do it for attention. what pisses me off as well is when mums slate the kids dad all over facebook and vice versa.

If you've never had an account, how does it do your head in?

I do find people get a bit odd toward those who say they don't want children, although attitudes are certainly improving. On my part, I just don't want them. I don't think about it because I have other goals in life.

On the other hand, I do know people that get awfully sniffy toward people who opt to have children. It's a personal choice, and people should be understanding and not so small minded.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Â