Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Seriously? Confident to sit in a restaurant alone? Would you feel self conscious sitting in a bar alone?

I've gone and sat in a bar for a couple of pints of Guinness back in Dublin on a Sunday while reading the paper.

I eat in restaurants alone during the week no problem. I need food and can expense it so why not eat out?

Just bring something to read or interact with like your phone. It's fine.

I agree with this, that being said I've have a detailed conversation with this missus and we agree there's no way either of us could go to the cinema alone!

Edited by Folski

No idea what malachite blue is and a quick google doesn't really help.

Haha, you're right about Googling. I expected you to Google, and did the same to verify that I wasn't talking rubbish. Malachite GREEN is one of the carcinogens that are allegedly used in large-scale shrimp farming.

My misgivings about Chinese food are based on several factors: 1. The small amounts of actual meat and vegetables it contains. 2. The fact that food in China is seldom in plentiful supply, so historically and indeed to this day, people eat just about anything, including chicken feet. 3. The fact that the middle class in China is historically pretty small, which means that food has tended to be considered mainly in terms of its calorific value above other things. 4. The fact that China does not yet seem to have a well-developed system of controls of the food supply chain (hence melamine, malachite green, extinct river dolphins, etc).

But maybe I'm just being silly :)

This thread is making me serously consider driving the 15 miles to the nearest Indian restaurant (for the second curry I can recall eating in my life).

50 great curries of India. One of the best selling cook books and it's a piece of genius. All Indian recipes, cooked the way they do in India and not how they do it in UK. But the best part is there are no recipes for the first third of the book. Just an explanation of what ingredients do what in a curry and how mixing ones from each group creates the right balance.

You'll appreciate the cuisine after reading it. Chicken breast is used in one dish. A cut up chicken is what is used in nearly all other chicken dishes. Stuff like that.

Do it on the presumption that the restaurant in question isn't the reason you've only eaten one Indian curry to this day. Otherwise maybe wait until you find a good one instead :)

It's very hard to get a non-MSG Chinese restaurant in Ireland. Legend has it they do exist though.

They'll be more apparent than you think, find one the local chinese community eat in. The befriend a local chinese person to take you there. I guarantee you the menu will be much different to the whitey boy menu.

I used to work for a chinese bloke many moons ago and he used to insist on taking us out eery night - we used to order off two different menus. Me and Ernie of his menu and the plebs (sorry I mean the two doormen) off the English menu

Yeah I've heard that before Bicks. TBH the very rare occasion I do treat myself to a takeaway Chinese, I'm quite happy to get the MSG-riddled curry sauce. That's the taste I crave and it's once in a blue moon so I'm OK with it :)

Has anybody had salt and chilli chips from a Chinese place? They taste the same everywhere. Pure MSG.

They sell chips at Chinese restaurants? :o

There are places that don't sell chips?!?!

• Like 1

Has anybody had salt and chilli chips from a Chinese place? They taste the same everywhere. Pure MSG.

They sell chips at Chinese restaurants? :o

I can't talk for British restaurants but in Ireland if you're a restaurant and you don't sell chips then you're gonna have a bad time.  All bar a tiny tiny few have modified their menu to suit our palate.

Yep. DeLICIOUS.

We got through bags of them between us in our house last year :D

Â