Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Democracy is fine. It's voting that's the problem. The Greek system which gave us the word was a scheme much more like jury duty where people were opted in by lottery to serve for a period of time. Presumably the only people considered had reached a certain level of education, so to that extent is was a technocracy, but it's their word.

"Career politician" should be an oxymoron.

• Like 1

Agreed.. Even when you have states making the laws e.g. 20 states have legalized medicinal cannabis, yet the federal government still doesn't recognize it has any medicinal uses and continues to crack down on medicinal marijuana dispensaries.. That system will not work, the federal gov needs to trimmed down and the power returned to the individual states.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Totally. "Hey everybody, I've been in politics all my life. Never bothered to find out how people live in the world beyond spin, opinion polls and vested interests, but I'm sure I know exactly what's good for you. Vote for me!"

Career politicians are the reason nobody has any principles in politics any more. It's just a fight for the centre ground of public opinion in order to get elected, because if politics is your career, getting elected is all you really care about.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

Totally. "Hey everybody, I've been in politics all my life. Never bothered to find out how people live in the world beyond spin, opinion polls and vested interests, but I'm sure I know exactly what's good for you. Vote for me!"

Just like you'd want a doctor whose worked all his life as a mechanic ....

Politicans know how the system works .. Sadly as you pointed out the system is wrong

• Like 1

Politicans know how the system works .. Sadly as you pointed out the system is wrong

Its mandarins et al that should know how the system works, its their job. Politicians should decide policy and law, that really doesn't require knowledge of the systems workings

Career politicians are the reason nobody has any principles in politics any more. It's just a fight for the centre ground of public opinion in order to get elected, because if politics is your career, getting elected is all you really care about.

Interesting. Most MPs in Singapore are part time politicians. Yet they are hardly popular.

IT at work. We started a new process at work six weeks ago and we needed five new systems. It took a few weeks to get a log in for the first four.

The fifth one however, the most important one; six weeks and I'm still waiting. Six weeks!? For a username and password!!!? Hours and hours spent talking to the IT guys and phoning the IT helpdesk.

:bang:  :bang:  :bang:  :bang:  :bang:

(I realise this is of no interest to anybody here, I'm just venting)

• Like 1

I get the impression that some IT guys like to make work for themselves. The one IT guy we have fabricates jobs out of absolutely nothing. We use uber complicated systems just to deal with email, completely unnecessary. And ofcourse, our one IT guy is the only person capable of administering the system, hence he stays in a job. Last week I asked him to install a printer across the network, and instead of doing so he continued to strip a whole series of components from my computer, rendering it fairly useless. Just thinking about it makes me angry.

Edited by Shillzz

I don't think it's any of the IT guys here, I think it's how complicated the whole system is. Two weeks ago I was on the phone to someone in Lithuania trying to get it sorted. I could barely understand him and I don't think he had a clue what I was talking about.

I'm an IT guy. We feel your pain. 

59-year-old IT guy :)

My dad's your age and he can barely type, let alone fix software.

Yeah, but I started in my 20s. And I'm pretty much de-skilled these days. I certainly don't keep up with the latest stuff, and I don't do programming anymore - mostly package support and training. 

Anyone wanting to continue discussing light-hearted topics, skip this post.

Acid attacks?

Of all the despicable things people can do to each other, this must be just about the worst. No torture would be enough to achieve adequate retribution for ruining someone's face, whatever their crime.

The fact that a lot of these attacks seem motivated in some way by religious piety is all the more disgusting.

You'd think that anyone who has ever even contemplated an acid attack would be asking serious questions of themselves or the religion that condones it, and yet it still goes on.

• Like 1

Attention seekers on Facebook.

Guy keeps posting quotes he copied thinking he is some modern day nietzche.

One girl on my time line keeps slagging off men everyday, blah, blah. Expecting some male model millionaire when she has let herself go to the point of resembling a beached whale.

Attention seekers on Facebook.

One girl on my time line keeps slagging off men everyday, blah, blah. Expecting some male model millionaire when she has let herself go to the point of resembling a beached whale.

Pic? ;)

I do that with my VT signature sometimes :) (see below)

But yeah, those used to irritate me a lot (before I effectively quit Facebook). I suppose I wouldn't mind it at all if it was 1. done once in a while (instead of every **** day) and 2. done with quotes that actually mean something.

Edited by legov
  • Like 1

Â