Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

You wont get a better 4th choice centre half in the prem (IMO it should be him and Cahill battling to play with Laursen, but I imagine another will be coming in soon)

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To move on to the next level we have to have players who are composed on the ball, can pass well, can move off the ball (and not just when the pass is going to them), that can control a ball in tight situations and are hungry for success. We need these players all over the pitch.

Wise words, OMVF.

I don't think we have ANY players that fit your description (OK, Barry and Petrov might just squeeze in).

Some have suggested on here that we are only a couple of players short of being a top side. I think they may be in for a shock when the window opens.

We will 100% bring in a new centre back IMO

it seems we went in for Woodgate, just because we missed out on him i don't think that means we will give up on trying to bring one in.

I believe Laursen is over his injury problems, but its still a risk to just have two experienced centre backs available

Ridgewell is good, but i don't think he has the ability to improve as much as Cahill can, and become good enough for a much improving Aston Villa

i hope and think we will see a new centre back (similar in age and ability to Woodgate) and the sale of Ridgewell.

According to todays Daily Mail:

'Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill plans a £750,000 move for Portugal Under 21 left back Vitorino Antunes of Pacos De Ferreira'.

According to todays Daily Mail:

'Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill plans a £750,000 move for Portugal Under 21 left back Vitorino Antunes of Pacos De Ferreira'.

read that somewhere else as well NOSW I think.

thats just the sort of player we need for left back

if we got somone who was 26 - 29 they would expect to play regularly, and Bouma's form is too good to be dropped i.e samuel

so bringing someone young who can challenge his place and gradually take over the left back spot in coming years, but can't expect to play every game is a good move.

i would bet he's probably more attack minded also

To move on to the next level we have to have players who are composed on the ball, can pass well, can move off the ball (and not just when the pass is going to them), that can control a ball in tight situations and are hungry for success. We need these players all over the pitch.

Wise words, OMVF.

I don't think we have ANY players that fit your description (OK, Barry and Petrov might just squeeze in).

Some have suggested on here that we are only a couple of players short of being a top side. I think they may be in for a shock when the window opens.

Definitely agree.

As far as passing is concerned, we're a very English team and a long way from the top four.

i say 2 CBs because, laursen will never be fully fit, dels will no doubt be shown the door, and ridgwell is shite, so that only really leave us with olly and cahill!

maybe someone like phillipe mexes! havent we been linked with him before though?

Laursen has had the best knee surgeon in the world and played several times in his comeback and looked fit and strong - why should he never be fully fit?

Because Laursen has said himself that he will never be totally fit, the surgery was always about getting as much out of the knee as possible... IF possible.

It seems it has been very successful and he is playing matches, on the trot, which is the most important thing. However, as a realist I do not want us to rely entirely on his situation the next season. It would not surprise me one bit if he played 20 matches, it would not surprise me if he played 2. That is the harsh reality of someone with a knee injury but we can only hope. My main idea is; how about having him a third choice after a new purchase in the summer? New guy, Mellberg, Laursen and Cahill would be pretty awesome in my opinion.

FYI

When the Browns bring in a player they want to sign they have been known to make a professional video of his personal highlights to music, of course. Then during his visit they take said player on a "tour" of the 'pitch'. That is when the lights come on. And up on the Big screen and they roll the Tape!

I am sure with bodymoor heath opening up Villa will be an attractive destination. I want a player like Patrice Evra, a RB that can run by people and make a good cross.

Paulo Ferreira can fit that mold, and why not pinch a sneaky bid in for him?

It has been rumored that he wants to go away from Chelsea as he isn't playing much, in fact only 13 x 90 minutes in the league, as well as a few appearances as a substitute. I imagine him wanting to go to Spain or whatever, but with the proper persuasion and money involved we might get him.

He was very good the first season for Chelsea, and like Asier del Horno he has became somewhat of a scapegoat.

He would easily become our best defender if he came to Villa Park. It could also be a perfect snatch for the perfect

defense. Bouma is good at back, not so good going forward. Ferreira is very good going forward and also steady at

the back. They would stabilize each other in a way.

FYI

When the Browns bring in a player they want to sign they have been known to make a professional video of his personal highlights to music, of course. Then during his visit they take said player on a "tour" of the 'pitch'. That is when the lights come on. And up on the Big screen and they roll the Tape!

I am sure with bodymoor heath opening up Villa will be an attractive destination. I want a player like Patrice Evra, a RB that can run by people and make a good cross.

I thought Evra was a left back?

We need a Kenny Swain for right back!

We seem to have flavour of the months, i bet if you looked throughout this thread, you'd find various players suggested then a bunch of people talking him up and then someone else sugests another player and the same talking up happens to that player.

The options for RB's are limited, i find it hard to believe we'll sign someone foreign so that leaves only a few options in reality. Luke Young, Micah Richards and Paul McShane.

As for midfielders, i said in an earlier post, i don't think we'll sign a 'specific' midfielder. All rounders is what we'll see from now on if the current midfield is anything to go on.

Vitorino Antunes - the name--------------------------He has to be good. i love getting linked with these type of players. He could well be shit but who cares. its somethin different.

Vitorino Antunes - the name--------------------------He has to be good. i love getting linked with these type of players. He could well be shit but who cares. its somethin different.

Exactly my feelings. If we'd sign him and I'd bought a shirt before the season started I'd probably have his name on it. Yes, I am that stupid. :nod: I mean, in comparison I was equally excited when we signed Fabio Ferraresi... :?