How will the new look Villa line up?

danceoftheshamen

Was just going to say it feels like we are almost spoilt for choice now compared to the last couple of seasons.. Very weird... There are that many options it's almost baffling & to think there may still be 2 or three more to come plus the Gary Gardner return to fitness!

What a massive difference!.... Randy Where is Aston Villa & what have you done with it?

.....................Guzan

Lowton.....Vlaar....Okore....Bennett

...............Sylla.....Westwood..........

...................NEW CAM...................

Gabby.….........................Weimann

....................Benteke......................

Subs: New GK, Clark, Luna, Delph,Tonev, Bacuna, Helenius.

Reserves: Herd, Baker, El Ahamdi, Gardner, Albrighton, Bowery, Johnson.

Ireland, Bent, NZogbia, Delfouneso, Holman, Bannan all to be sold.

Our regular formation =
4-2-3-1/4-3-3

------------------------------------ Guzan/Siegrist ---------------------------------

Lowton/Herd ----- Vlaar/Clark ------- Okore/Baker ---- Luna/Bennett

--------------- Westwood/KEA--------------------- Delph/Sylla -------------------------

-------------------------------- Bacuna/Gardner ------------------------------

Weimann(Grealish/Carrushier) ----------------------------- Agbonlahor/Tonev

--------------------------------  Benteke/Helenius -------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
might switch this formation,
4-4-2

------------------------------------ Guzan/Siegrist ------------------------------

Bacuna/Albrighton------Delph/Sylla-----Westwood/Gardner----Tonev/N'Zogbia/(Grealish/Carruisher)
------------  Benteke/Gabby--------------Weimann/Helenius---------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if we play 4-3-1-2 (wing less formation)

------------------------------------ Guzan/Siegrist ------------------------------

------------Bacuna/KEA------Delph/Sylla-----Westwood/Gardner----
-----------------------------Tonev/(Grealish/ Carrushier)-------------------
------------  Benteke/Gabby--------------Weimann/Helenius---------------

we got more that enough players to cover all formation, I think we dont need more sign any player, Let Other player fight place and push themself. 

still, we will need back up goalkeeper and cover right back lowton only right back after Lichaj left... I would kept herd as he is versatility players he is not natural right back to fight place with lowton. I think we will be ok with Herd for back up Right Back untill next season..

Grealish and Carrushier take a turn play occasions to experiencing Premiership or start in cup match..

I don't think PL has any intention of dumping Bennett.

I watched some horror shows last year from him, but I have sneaky hunch, he will come good.

I think Paul Lambert thinks so too.

I just think he will be one of those that despite looking so bad....will come good.

• Like 1

The exciting thing about signing young players is the unpredictability with regards to their rate of progress/development.

You can think you have signed an average player and then find he becomes a star.

....remember watching John Richards in his formative years with Wolves and thinking what's all the fuss about and then seeing him c2 seasons later and thinking WOW is he the same player.

I suspect we have some pleasant surprises ahead.

At the moment our starting line up will probably be

Guzan

Lowton               Vlaar         Okore              Bennett

Westwood

Sylla                              Delph

Weimann                                                      Gabby

Benteke

Nothing much will change as far as I'm concerned. We played well at the end of last year and I don't think we really need to change things.

Exactly this

Seconded-I just wonder whether Tonev would/could work his way into the starting line up in a kind of N'zog role.

I actually prefer a Sylla type player in there as we become a little too overloaded with attack minded players,

Nothing that's come in so far will automaticaly dislodge Gabby or Weiman.  

Now way would I dump Delph from the first XI. He was more impressive than Westwood during our run-in IMO. Despite some decent performances, I think Sylla would be the one to make way if we sign an AM - though we might lack for presence in the midfield again.

• Like 1

most likely, although i dont fully agree with it...

------------------------------------ Guzan/new Gk ---------------------------------

Lowton/Herd ------ Vlaar/Okore -------- Baker/Clark ------ Luna/Bennett

----------------------------------- Sylla/El Ahmadi ---------------------------------

-------------- Westwood/Bacuna ------ Delph/Carruthers --------------------

Weimann/Albrighton --------------------------------------- Agbonlahor/Tonev

---------------------------------  Benteke/Helenius --------------------------------

other squad...

Siegrist

Donacien

Stevens

Stieber

Gardner

Bowery

Edited by AndyBM

I don't think PL has any intention of dumping Bennett.

I watched some horror shows last year from him, but I have sneaky hunch, he will come good.

I think Paul Lambert thinks so too.

I just think he will be one of those that despite looking so bad....will come good.

Agreed. It was his first Premier League season so it was a massive jump for him. Of course he was going to make mistakes, but he's young and hungry, he does have talent and I think he's going to be better next season.

I don't really have much of an idea of what Lambert's plans are.  Even if we just stick with the XI that finished last season strongly with Okore instead of Baker I would expect it to be good enough for top 10, and then if some of the new players add an extra dimension then even better.  A brilliant attacking midfielder would be the icing on the cake.

Now I like fullbacks that can defend first and foremost, but really, in the modern game, at the top level, you gotta be comfortable in possession at fullback. I like Baker a lot as a tough tackling CB, he's big and strong and reminds me of John Terry, but he can't play FB.

baker has worked really hard this season to earning that spot, if he was dropped now we would be where we were at the beginning of last season with an inexperienced baker in okore, we dont need that again

vlaar and baker to start the season with okore back up to lowton and vlaar gradually introduced match time, he should be ready by xmas when tiredness sets in (providing vlaar doesnt break a finger nail by then)

If Okore comes straight into the side might Baker be shifted to left back ?

Christ i hope not. He is shit there

Personally, I don't think he's actuall that bad at LB, certainly better than Bennett.

I doubt Lambert will play him there again now we have Bennett,Luna and Stevens

I think the beauty of all these signings is the fact that there won't be only one formation or 11 players that will be always on the team sheet. We have a squad now for the first time in god knows how long and we'll most likely employ a rotation in some sense. I think back to when PL decided to play Bowery against Stoke as an example. The team will most likely change depending on the opposition and when planning and attack and how to defend the threats. I'm really looking forward to it and I'm sure he'll give all the players a chance, something that a lot of us on here surely wouldn't lol

I agree with some people's comments, don't count out guys who either were invisible last season or performed a bit sub-par guys like Albrighton, Gardner, Bennett & Clark. They still have something to give and hopefully we can maximise their progression along with the others. Fingers crossed I hope things go well

UTV!

The good thing about Lambert is that you know everyone will get a fair chance and the ones that manage to perform will get their place in the starting XI.

The goalkeeper is easy, we've got an excellent one in Guzan. That is probably our best position.

Lowton has made the right full back position his own. He's only going to get better next season.

Left back is the position that I think will be settled in pre-season training and games. Lambert will give it to the one who deserves it out of Luna and Bennett.

Plenty of competition between the CB's in Vlaar, Okore, Baker and Clark. Vlaar and Okore will probably be first choice but I wouldn't be surprised if Baker manages to knock either one of them out the starting XI.

We're crying out for a creative central midfielder and that is a position Lambert will probably fill in the summer months. The other two positions will be battled out between Delph, Sylla, Westwood, Bacuna and hopefully Gary Gardner. Westwood IMO is pretty nailed on to be in the starting XI but the other position is more difficult. Delph was fantastic in the latter third of last season but is he good enough? Sylla as well but he still needs lots of work to improve his game. Bacuna and Gardner could well surprise us.

If Benteke stays then Helenius will be his understudy. The wing forward position will filled by Gabby, Weimann, Tonev, N'Zogbia and maybe Carruthers.

-----------------------------Guzan

Lowton-----------Okore----------Vlaar----------Luna

--------------------Westwood----Sylla

Weimann-------------------AM----------------Gabby

-------------------------Benteke (hopefully)

Subs:

Siegrist

Tonev

Bacuna

Baker

Bennett

Delph

Helenius

• Like 1

Â