How will the new look Villa line up?

danceoftheshamen

Guzan

Lowton - Vlaar/Okore - Baker/Clark - Luna/Bennett

Sylla/Bacuna - Westwood/El Ahmadi - Delph/Gardner

Weimann - Benteke - Gabby/Tonev

The centre back situation is interesting. All of them I feel are solid enough to be starting games (despite last season's performances) so it'll be very interesting to see how we line up.

Edited by adz.villa

Interesting that everyone has Vlaar on the right of the back 4. I actually think he'll move over and Okore will come in on the right. That's where he played for FCN by all accounts and, apparently, Vlaar played on the left side at Feyenoord. Might be a bit much to expect Okore to come straight in to a new league and switch sides instantly too. Vlaar I think could handle it.

I agree, in all the youtube clips (Only way I get to see our new players for now) Okore plays on the right side.

I have no idea where anyone of the new players will play, one thing I do know is if they are like Benteke then they will play, if they are like KAE they will not and if they are like Bennett then they will be used when their is no one else available.

At least we now have options and from what little I have seen and heard they all appear to have good potential. I also think that PL should be giving some of the youth team lads coming through a look in, one of the things I'm proud of is that Villa give the youth players a chance so I hope this continues and we don't end up blocking them with cheap imports. I'm not saying that is happening nor going to happen as PL needs to build a squad that was badly depleted.

What about Brett Holman? Where will he fit in? Surely we need someone... anyone... just to run around aimlessly, pass poorly, sky his shots magnificently and generally to just be on the field to make the rest of our team look world class

Why has everyone dropped Baker. He was probably our standout defender in terms of defensive duties although that's not saying a lot. Also Luna am I missing something. He doesn't look that flash on paper. Is it because he's foreign?

• Like 1

Mentioned this in the Helenius thread IIRC, but with Helenius not being your typical big centre-forward type, I really think Lambert will give him a go in midfield, especially if we end the window without signing the likes of Belhanda or Popov.

Guzan

Lowton Okore Vlaar Luna/Bennett

Westwood Delph/Sylla

Helenius

Weimann Benteke Agbonlahor

Guzan

Lowton/Luna     Okore/Clark        Vlaar/Baker       Bennett/Luna

Westwood

Sylla/Bacuna             Delph/KEA

Weimann/N'Zog/Bowery                       Gabby/Tonev

Benteke/Helenius

Not much will change, but will have more options.

I don't know whether Gardner, Bannan and Albrighton will be in the mix. Clark can fill in as backup in the midfield. And I wouldn't mind if N'Zogbia was sold. He can be a valuable player to have at times, but I think the others offer more in general.

I think we will generally start 4-3-3

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Okore Luna/Bennett

Sylla Westwood Delph

Wiemann Benteke Gabby

But on occasions or when chasing a game, we could switch to a 4-4-2 with one of the midfield 3 swappped for Tonev wide right and Helenius up front with Benteke.

The likes of Tonev and Bacuna seem quite versatile so we do have a lot of options for different tactics and formations this year that maybe we didn't have last year.

If that is the starting 11, then out bench could contain any of these as it stands now:

Luna/Bennett

Clark

Baker

Tonev

Bacuna

Helenius

Nzogbia

Albrighton

KEA

Gardner

Bent

Bannan

Holman

Delfouneso

Ireland

Herd

Doesn't look to bad does it ?

Edited by Biskitt

-----------------------------Guzan-------------------------------------

Lowton-------Vlaar/Clark-----Okore/Baker------Luna/Bennett

----------Westwood/Sylla------------Delph/KEA------------------

--------------------Gardner/Bacuna/Tonev-----------------------

Weimann/Tonev---------Benteke/Helenius------Gabby/Tonev

Tonev gets about a bit doesn't he ;) He can play in all those positions though so it's fair to say he's cover/competition both wide and centrally. looks really good for competition for places and the bench.  that's if the formation stays the same, i think we could look good like this...

---------------------------------Guzan-----------------------------------

-----------------Okore---------Vlaar--------Baker/Clark-------------

Lowton------Westwood/Sylla----Delph/KEA-------Luna/Bennett

----------------------Bacuna/Gardner/Tonev------------------------

-----------Weimann/Gabby----------Benteke/Helenius------------

Certainly massive changes from this time last year ay? It'll be interesting to see how we line up preseason. could be anything, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1, 3-4-3.... we seem to have tons of options all of a sudden.

At the moment our starting line up will probably be

Guzan

Lowton               Vlaar         Okore              Bennett

Westwood

Sylla                              Delph

Weimann                                                      Gabby

Benteke

Nothing much will change as far as I'm concerned. We played well at the end of last year and I don't think we really need to change things.

Exactly this

Yep, I also agree.  

We have only bought 1 first team player so far. The others are back ups who will have to show they are better than the starters to earn a place.

We may end up adding another big signing towards the end of the window. Probably a central mid.

---------------Guzan

Lowton--Okore--Vlaar--Bennett

------Westwood---Delph

----------------???

Weimann--------------Agbonlahor

-------------Benteke

I still worry about the defence if I'm honest but what we will have next season is a squad with serious competition, even for a place on the bench.

This. But I would hope that a new leftback (possibly Luna) would replace Bennett, and my fingers are crossed that we spend a reasonable amount, for us, on that AMC (maybe £6m-£8m).

Why has everyone dropped Baker. He was probably our standout defender in terms of defensive duties although that's not saying a lot. Also Luna am I missing something. He doesn't look that flash on paper. Is it because he's foreign?

Because the manager has spent (relatively) big money on a hot prospect for CB and is going to want to play him but he's not going to drop the captain to do it.

As for Luna, I think it's not that people think he is good, more that people don't want to see Bennett play again for a while. Personally I think the manager will stick with Bennett again but it might depend on how Luna does in preseason.  

Edited by LondonLax

.........................Guzan.....................

Lowton.......Vlaar......Baker.......Bennett

............Westwood.....Delph.................

......Weimann....Tonev.......Gabby........

.......................Benteke........................

im more happy with our squad depth than anything. last season we only ever had Zog or Bent to bring off the bench

That's what pleases me most too, we've got players like Tonev, Helenius and Bacuna who can come on and offer something different to what we have already. Think we can expect to see a fair amount of tactical tinkering and different formations over the course of the season

---------------Guzan

Lowton--Okore--Vlaar--Bennett

------Westwood---Delph

----------------???

Weimann--------------Agbonlahor

-------------Benteke

I still worry about the defence if I'm honest but what we will have next season is a squad with serious competition, even for a place on the bench. 

This for me, although perhaps Sylla for Delph.

IMO we will sign a quality ACM.

First Match

........................Guzan.....................
Lowton.......Vlaar......Baker..........Luna
............Westwood.....Delph.................
......Weimann....Tonev.......Gabby........
.......................Benteke........................

Bench: Siegrist, Okore, Bennet, Clark, Sylla, N'Zogbia, Helenius.

Edited by westwood

In Tonev, Bacuna and Helenius, we have players who can either shoot with power from distance or from set pieces. This means space for our wingers (Gabby or Andi) and space for Benteke to collect rebounds. We certainly won't be one dimensional with pace outwide and players trying to close down our long shots. We will certainly have options on the bench to change our approach, which is very refreshing.

We will still play with the nice touches and build-up play but I think we might surprise a few teams next season if our new signings adapt. Thankfully, we have almost all of them for a pre-season off the back when the team performed far better in the second half of the season.

Exciting.

Edited by The_Steve

Couldn't find a thread where we can discuss how we are liable to line up now with all the new signings...So here goes:-

.....................Guzan

..............Vlaar....Okore..

Lowton.............................Luna?

....................Delph

Lacuna.....Westwood.....Tonev

............Benteke....Gabby

Subs: Baker, Clark, Helenius, Sylla, New keeper

-----------------------guzan-------------------

lowton------vlaar------------okore------bennett

------------------------sylla-----------------------

---------------westwood------delph----------

wiemann----------------------------------gabby

-------------------------benteke-------------------

siegrist,luna,clark,baker,helenius,tonev,luna,bannan,fonz,stevens,allbrighton,johnson,gardner,herd as subs and backup players. overall not very different in terms of 1st XI

We have flexibility. It's a nice feeling. Tonev is properly rapid and has a rocket of a shot, so could be lethal if brought on towards the end of a game. Okore ahead of baker, simply because I have a feeling that he could be one of the best Central Defenders we have seen for a while.

Â