Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

11 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I cannot see many of their players agreeing to taking anything performance enhancing even if the management suggested it. Too much of a stigma whether strictly legal or not.

What has happened though is that their identity is all about outrunning the opposition. Howe likes that. And is the reason why they are dropping like flies. They only play one way in that respect. So nieve of Howe when he is playing Champs League as well. 

Man city are about control. Liverpool are a mix of running and control.  And emery i guess is about controlling the midfield with the high line. And then slowing things down before bursting forward when the situation is right. 

You can play the Howe way in one off games. But not for 50 plus games . Doesnt matter if you are insanely fit. Injuries will happen as you are not at maximum energy and not mentally perfect striving for that extra 1 percent. 

This is it. The intensity that got them top 4 last season, is what's hurting them now. The argument against that is that only a few of the injuries are muscle-related ones that could be directly attributed to the playing/training style. But I would guess that if you're playing in the red zone for a long time then fatigue is going to start to affect your coordination, balance etc. and that could cause all kinds of injuries to become more likely. Just a theory though. 

I wonder if the Premier League would have approved the takeover if it had happened AFTER the PIF took control of the 4 Saudi clubs and started hoovering up big players for their league? I'm guessing they would have blocked it because the SPL now represents a threat - if not immediate - to the Premier League's dominance of the football marketplace.
I don't think that the timing of these moves within Saudi's larger strategy to be a main player in the football economy is coincidental. Newcastle are the anchor to this whole thing, IMO. Even if they could (potentially) only benefit directly in a relatively small way from the SPL's emergence - loaning a player that they otherwise couldn't have afforded for instance - the SPL's ability to disrupt can negatively affect Newcastle's rivals (buying up players who would otherwise go elsewhere in the Premier League/Europe, for instance). So, while I don't agree with the theory that all the work being done in the SPL is with Newcastle at the centre of it, it's at least a nice added bonus that they can (attempt to) tilt the balance of power in these ways. I'm very curious to see what the outcome of that vote today will be and what moves Newcastle/PIF/Saudi makes as a result.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

21 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I wonder if the Premier League would have approved the takeover if it had happened AFTER the PIF took control of the 4 Saudi clubs and started hoovering up big players for their league? I'm guessing they would have blocked it because the SPL now represents a threat - if not immediate - to the Premier League's dominance of the football marketplace.
I don't think that the timing of these moves within Saudi's larger strategy to be a main player in the football economy is coincidental. Newcastle are the anchor to this whole thing, IMO. Even if they could (potentially) only benefit directly in a relatively small way from the SPL's emergence - loaning a player that they otherwise couldn't have afforded for instance - the SPL's ability to disrupt can negatively affect Newcastle's rivals (buying up players who would otherwise go elsewhere in the Premier League/Europe, for instance). So, while I don't agree with the theory that all the work being done in the SPL is with Newcastle at the centre of it, it's at least a nice added bonus that they can (attempt to) tilt the balance of power in these ways. I'm very curious to see what the outcome of that vote today will be and what moves Newcastle/PIF/Saudi makes as a result.

To be honest, I think the PL have had it taken out of their hands to some extent and then had to make vague covering statements. It’s a political purchase. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

To be honest, I think the PL have had it taken out of their hands to some extent and then had to make vague covering statements. It’s a political purchase. 

Oh yes, of course they were leaned on very heavily by these governmental powers, but I wonder if the perceived threat of the Saudi Pro League had been greater, whether they would have been more likely to resist the takeover?

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Well, that’s a surprise

Absolutely rotten! Football as a competitive game is dead. It going to be more like WWE where results are scripted at this rate. 

I wonder if PIF promised some players to other clubs to get them to vote against the motion. That's the only thing I can think of, as it makes no sense for any of the non-arab clubs to oppose the vote as it negatively affects them. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

What's the big deal? They only own the 4 biggest teams in a league with no FFP (that they also control) and could feasibly have one of those teams buy a player that Newcastle couldn't afford (because of FFP) and then loan that player back to them in the next window. I mean, what's the big deal about that?
So short-sighted from the other teams and I really hope we weren't one of the clubs that voted against the motion.

53 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Absolutely rotten! Football as a competitive game is dead. It going to be more like WWE where results are scripted at this rate. 

I wonder if PIF promised some players to other clubs to get them to vote against the motion. That's the only thing I can think of, as it makes no sense for any of the non-arab clubs to oppose the vote as it negatively affects them. 

I mean, they did Chelsea quite a big favour by taking all of their dead wood in the Summer. Wouldn't surprise me if PIF called in a favour there.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

56 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Our owners will have determined that our catalogue of clubs offers us enough of an advantage over several other clubs to offset the disadvantage we have against Newcastle.

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Our owners will have determined that our catalogue of clubs offers us enough of an advantage over several other clubs to offset the disadvantage we have against Newcastle.

But that disadvantage is **** huge 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But that disadvantage is **** huge 

It is. I am obviously only speculating, and it depends entirely on our ambitions.

As an example of what I'm getting at though, if we think we can turn ourselves into a CL regular that wins the odd cup, maybe this is a good move. We don't need to expect we can beat Man City and Newcastle but think we can go toe to toe with the others and secure a more successful future.

Perhaps we just think there are so many FFP loopholes available to state-backed clubs that this one is irrelevant and we may as well exploit it ourselves.

Maybe it's not about footballing success but rather turning ourselves into a "sustainable" club that can pick up bargains and flog them for profit to keep the FFP wolves at bay, and trophies are neither here nor there.

It's terrible for the league and for the sport, but there are some possible interpretations for why we might think, rightly or wrongly, that it's not terrible for us.

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I'm guessing the club's are Newcastle, City (similar position with large group and won't want to annoy SA), Chelsea, then it'll be the clubs in and around the relegation zone.

They won't give a toss about Newcastle's European challenge and the top end of the table and they can then loan players in some PIF club's to try and stay up.

Except of course all the clubs around them will do the same.

I'd be surprised if we did. Whilst we have linked club's we'd more likely be loaning players out then in. Anyone we'd want we'd probably look to buy outright. 

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm guessing the club's are Newcastle, City (similar position with large group and won't want to annoy SA), Chelsea, then it'll be the clubs in and around the relegation zone.

They won't give a toss about Newcastle's European challenge and the top end of the table and they can then loan players in some PIF club's to try and stay up.

Except of course all the clubs around them will do the same.

I'd be surprised if we did. Whilst we have linked club's we'd more likely be loaning players out then in. Anyone we'd want we'd probably look to buy outright. 

We havent

It was citeh newcastle chelsea forest everton sheff utd and wolves

Â