Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You beat us but you played us at a good time. Buendia gout midweek with ACL mings done his in the game. I would gurantee if burn or trippier did theie ACL in the game it would have affected you the way it did us.

If it was now no chance would it would be 5-1

Also on a different nite what you made of tonali? He looked good agaonst us but since then hasnt really kicked on i think

Oh 100%. Before the game I was expecting a very different result, and up until Mings went off it looked like it would be a very tight affair which could go either way. 

Tonali is a good player who Howe wanted to ease into the team (as he did with Isak, Bruno and Gordon), but due to injuries for Longstaff and Joelinton he's been played a lot more. I think he's getting used to the speed and physicality of the league and without Joelinton and/or Longstaff he's having to do the kind of physical work they would usually shoulder. Which isn't really his game. He's not yet on the same page as some of his teammates, so he's missing runs or making passes for runs not made. I still think there's a good player there, he just needs a run in a settled side of our best side.

• Like 1

Newcastle will be in the mix for sure, Isak totally turned that game around at the weekend and they were only a few minutes from winning.

They've had injuries aswell, not long term like us but guys like Botman and Joelinthon who were critical last season have been missing league games, Harvey Barnes also out for similar timespan as Jacob Ramsey.

Both ourselves and Newcastle should be finishing above Man. United and Chelsea this season. If they could take points off Spurs and Brighton again that would be a help to us aswell considering they'll get nowt at VP as usual.😉

43 minutes ago, TheFish said:

I'm not claiming our situation is unique, I'm just challenging your claim that we've had a bad start. I don't think that's true at all. 

I never said bad, I just disagreed that it had been a 'great' start. I think that wins against 2 teams who will likely be relegated & against a mid-table team who've dropped off since last season (Brentford are 15th) and a point against West Ham is about what you would expect from a team that are currently 8th and tracking as the 7th best team over the last 29 (in some cases 30) games. 

51 minutes ago, TheFish said:

No I count a game when we were clearly the better side as a battering.

Well, then we have different interpretations of what the word means. To me, a battering is when one team is constantly attacking and the other team is doing nothing other than just trying to hold out (like the situation you had at the San Siro). I didn't see that in your game v Brentford. I saw a bit of a stalemate where Brentford sat in and you struggled to create clear-cut chances. Having a lot of the ball in your opponent's half doesn't mean that you are necessarily the better team, although you may be attempting to be the more progressive team (see your game vs West Ham also).

14 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I never said bad, I just disagreed that it had been a 'great' start. I think that wins against 2 teams who will likely be relegated & against a mid-table team who've dropped off since last season (Brentford are 15th) and a point against West Ham is about what you would expect from a team that are currently 8th and tracking as the 7th best team over the last 29 (in some cases 30) games. 

We're just going around in circles here, I think it's a great start because given the start we've had (no team had a more difficult first 5 games) we're still only 7pts off the top spot, we've got past Man City in the League Cup, we're unbeaten in the Champions League and top of the group.

You think it's not a great start. Either because you think the opponents are worse than I do, or you think Newcastle are better than I do.

We finished 4th last season, but that owed as much to our play as it did to teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham having poor-to-terrible seasons. Also teams like Leicester, Southampton, Leeds, West Ham, having their own troubles. We were good, but objectively we don't have the squad to raise expectations so high that we look at this start as anything less than great.

Put it this way;

• Our League fixtures were: Not, Bri, MCI, Wol, Liv, Pal. (A much easier start, I'm sure you'll agree),
  • Our League Cup opponents were League 2 Tranmere Rovers,
  • our Champions League games were a thing of myth and mystery,
  • we're 2pts ahead of where we were at this stage last season, and 10pts better than we were 2 seasons ago. We've eliminated Man City from the League Cup, and we're top of the Group of Death in the CL.

I'm happy as a clam.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

We're just going around in circles here, I think it's a great start because given the start we've had (no team had a more difficult first 5 games) we're still only 7pts off the top spot, we've got past Man City in the League Cup, we're unbeaten in the Champions League and top of the group.

You think it's not a great start. Either because you think the opponents are worse than I do, or you think Newcastle are better than I do.

We finished 4th last season, but that owed as much to our play as it did to teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham having poor-to-terrible seasons. Also teams like Leicester, Southampton, Leeds, West Ham, having their own troubles. We were good, but objectively we don't have the squad to raise expectations so high that we look at this start as anything less than great.

Put it this way;

• Our League fixtures were: Not, Bri, MCI, Wol, Liv, Pal. (A much easier start, I'm sure you'll agree),
  • Our League Cup opponents were League 2 Tranmere Rovers,
  • our Champions League games were a thing of myth and mystery,
  • we're 2pts ahead of where we were at this stage last season, and 10pts better than we were 2 seasons ago. We've eliminated Man City from the League Cup, and we're top of the Group of Death in the CL.

I'm happy as a clam.

I'm not sure where you got that table from but you have played 4 away games to our 5 and we're both strong at home so straight away it looks suspect. 

23 minutes ago, tinker said:

I'm not sure where you got that table from but you have played 4 away games to our 5 and we're both strong at home so straight away it looks suspect. 

It's lifted from Opta. It considers the strength of the opponent and it's only the first 5 games, not all 8 of them. 

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

It's lifted from Opta. It considers the strength of the opponent and it's only the first 5 games, not all 8 of them. 

I can see you have had a difficult start but 2 away games in the first 5  we have had 3, Newcastle and Liverpool in that as well who must be top 4 for home form, yet we rank mid table.....

8 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Improvement on results against teams in the top 7 is what they really need to do to push on (a bit like us). Newcastle win or draw most of the time against mid-lower table teams but they only took 13 from 36 points against teams in the top 7 last season. So far they are 4 from 15 points (as the top 7 stands currently) and four of those games took place before any European fatigue could be considered a factor. Also, a lot of the lesser teams that went toe-to-toe with them last season will sit deeper and make it harder to get those wins this time around (again we're seeing a similar thing with us vs Palace, Wolves etc).

They are 3 points up than they were after 8 games last season with a tougher start

24 minutes ago, tinker said:

I can see you have had a difficult start but 2 away games in the first 5  we have had 3, Newcastle and Liverpool in that as well who must be top 4 for home form, yet we rank mid table.....

We played Everton😝

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Newcastle would struggle more if refs actually sent the likes of Bruno off. Already on a yellow on the weekend and got away with more fouls after. 

This is a great point. Bruno is a dirty, horrible player

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Our betting sponsor BK8 doesn't have a website you can access from the UK - it's kinda funny, you can click on all of the sponsors at the bottom of the page on the Villa home site and go their website - but our main sponsor's just says "can't establish a connection". They also own three or four of the other gambling companies that advertise on Premier league shirts - W888 and Kaiyun for example are part of the same group.

Chelsea's sponsor is paying them £40m a season and turns over £12m a year.

Hilariously, in the email expose of their financial chicanery, there's an exchange where Manchester City's sponsor, Etihad Airways, actually emailed City to remind them that they needed to move the £35m they'd put into Etihad Airways account back out to City in order to make the sponsorship deal complete, because the CEO of Etihad Airways was really worried about how he'd explain why he had £35m of extra money in his accounts.

Newcastle's sponsor is paying £25m a year and is seemingly the size of company that would perhaps stretch to owning two vans if it were in the UK.

Triads gambling, sheikhs, emirates, crypto and currency exchanges - the whole thing needs an absolute rethink - it's a cesspool of filthy money and pretend nonsense.

But somehow better than a rich owner deciding to put some of his own personal fortune in to the thing that he owns

Football is not better because of FFP

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

This is a great point. Bruno is a dirty, horrible player

He’s one booking away from an automatic ban anyways, but how many of those bookings and subsequent fouls could have easily been reds. It’s really not on. He’s afforded way too much freedom to be dirty. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

But somehow better than a rich owner deciding to put some of his own personal fortune in to the thing that he owns

Football is not better because of FFP

Rich owners should be allowed to put in as much as they want, as long as it’s gifts and not loans. Then it is what it is.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Rich owners should be allowed to put in as much as they want, as long as it’s gifts and not loans. Then it is what it is.

Unfortunately the 2 most powerful clubs in the country have owners who have no intention of putting their own money in to their own club so it's not going to happen

I get that they have to also protect clubs from asshole owners but the giant pissing contest that would come with scrapping it would be a whole lot fairer and better than clubs whoring themselves out to official felt tip pen partner deals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Unfortunately the 2 most powerful clubs in the country have owners who have no intention of putting their own money in to their own club so it's not going to happen

I get that they have to also protect clubs from asshole owners but the giant pissing contest that would come with scrapping it would be a whole lot fairer and better than clubs whoring themselves out to official felt tip pen partner deals

It wouldn't.  You'd have UAE and Saudi Arabia in a pisssing contest,  and the rest of us standing against the wall their pissing up.

Obviously, if states didn't own clubs then I'd agree with the sentiment, but until they kick out the state ownership this cannot happen 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It wouldn't.  You'd have UAE and Saudi Arabia in a pisssing contest,  and the rest of us standing against the wall their pissing up.

Obviously, if states didn't own clubs then I'd agree with the sentiment, but until they kick out the state ownership this cannot happen 

That was the answer, get better control on who the owners are

Your wage spending should be sustainable and controlled - and could be properly controlled via caps or other measures too - transfer spending shouldnt

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Your wage spending should be sustainable and controlled - and could be properly controlled via caps or other measures too - transfer spending shouldnt

But they would just pay them a massive signing on fee and add it to the transfer.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Todd Boehly would be seen as a responsible owner, American, Hedge fund manager, etc.. Only when you dig into the weeds you find out his connection to Saudi. It would be very easy get a stooge owner to buy a club and then have whoever as the real owners/controllers in the background. The game is obsessed with money, getting bags of it is all that anyone is concerned with. Premier League, FIFA, UEFA, etc. are all the same. The fans seem to think all the money and high transfer fees are a problem. Nobody running the game thinks that, just the opposite in fact.

• Like 1

Â