Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Pardew really showing that he really is a scumbag talking like that to Pelligrini. He has only apologised because he got caught on camera not because he was sorry.

I'm sure players call other players words removed all the time, as much as I dislike Pardew he was unlucky to be caught. It's a heat of the moment thing.

not sure how the referees managed to disallow Newcastle's first goal. 

Pardew understandably upset about that. Pelligrini should have allowed Newcastle to have a free goal. as it was they got a free one chalked off.

Pelligrini should have allowed Newcastle to have a free goal. as it was they got a free one chalked off.

Nah, nothing that strong. Should have just made him a nice cup of tea, that would have been enough.

I think that disallowed goal has been exaggerated to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, it was a bad decision, because they were wrong. But people are acting as if it was some ludicrous decision based on incomprehensible nonsense.

To me it just seemed like the player was in an offside position and the ref and/or linesman thought he had interfered with play (obstructing the keeper's view is enough to be interfering with play)

They were wrong, obviously, but I can see why they chalked it off.

• Like 1

Indeed. They were wrong, but you can see why they might have called it as they did. The Newcastle player made an exagerated movement to get out of the way of the ball, he was nowhere near it, but his actions actually made it look like the ball was much closer to him than it actually was.

No excuses for Pardew's actions. Should bring the smug bar steward down a peg or two.

I think you have to ask yourself, if the player hadn't have been there, would the ball still have gone in?

In this case the answer is yes, so they were wrong. But as I said, I don't think it's as ludicrous as people are making out that they thought he might have been interfering.

On a related note, this is exactly the scenario where I think refs should be allowed (or made?) to publicly explain why they made a certain call.

Surely if the ref came out and said something like

"You don't need to touch the ball to be interfering with play. IN this instance we thought he had obstructed the view of the goalkeeper from an offside position and thus was deemed to be offside. This may not have been the correct decision but that's how we arrived at the decision at the time"

it would be better?

I know it's taboo for a ref to admit they were wrong, but surely saying something like that would diffuse the situation somewhat?

Edited by Stevo985

The problem with refs giving interviews about decisions is that they would trot out the same line...

"From the angle I saw it I had to make a split second assessment of the situation and I interpreted that as (insert* foul/pen/freekick/goal/onside/offside)"

End of interview.

A totally pointless exercise. Refs shouldn't be pandering to players, managers or the media.

You could solve the issues overnight with two introductions a la Rugby.

1) Mic up the refs - we hear decisions being explained and what the players are saying to them

2) Only the captain can address the referee unless the ref asks to speak to a player.

It would also meant that the broadcasters would put pressure on the managers to act with a little bit of class on the touchline.

• Like 1

To mic up the refs though, they'd have to clamp down on swearing. As in, if you swear at the ref, you're booked. No excuses.

Otherwise watching football matches would be like sitting through that Steve Martin rant in Planes Trains and Automobiles

To mic up the refs though, they'd have to clamp down on swearing. As in, if you swear at the ref, you're booked. No excuses.

Otherwise watching football matches would be like sitting through that Steve Martin rant in Planes Trains and Automobiles

That could be another positive outcome.

More respect towards refs from players (and managers)

Don't get me wrong, it was a bad decision, because they were wrong. But people are acting as if it was some ludicrous decision based on incomprehensible nonsense.

To me it just seemed like the player was in an offside position and the ref and/or linesman thought he had interfered with play (obstructing the keeper's view is enough to be interfering with play)

it was incomprehensible.

the player was not in an offside position was nowhere near the keeper or the ball. it was a regular long range effort that happened to go in. you don't expect those to be chalked off. ridiculous decision. if it was an Aston Villa goal chalked off I would be demanding the other manager let us have a free goal. the referee and linesman between them had the perfect view.

it was incomprehensible.

the player was not in an offside position was nowhere near the keeper or the ball. it was a regular long range effort that happened to go in. you don't expect those to be chalked off. ridiculous decision. if it was an Aston Villa goal chalked off I would be demanding the other manager let us have a free goal. the referee and linesman between them had the perfect view.

How is it Pellegrini's fault that the ref **** up? please explain.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

it was incomprehensible.

the player was not in an offside position

Yes he was

was nowhere near the keeper or the ball.

Yes he was

it was a regular long range effort that happened to go in. you don't expect those to be chalked off. ridiculous decision. if it was an Aston Villa goal chalked off I would be demanding the other manager let us have a free goal. the referee and linesman between them had the perfect view.

it was a bad decision. I never said it wasn't.

What I said was it isn't as ludicrous as people (evidently you) are making out. I can see why the officials thought it was a legitimate offside, although they were ultimately wrong.

The rest of your post about giving up a free goal is quite frankly absurd, but I would assume that's exactly what you were going for.

it was incomprehensible.

How is it Pellegrini's fault that the ref **** up? please explain.

not his fault but it's called sportsmanship.

it was incomprehensible.

the player was not in an offside position

Yes he was

was nowhere near the keeper or the ball.

Yes he was

it was a regular long range effort that happened to go in. you don't expect those to be chalked off. ridiculous decision. if it was an Aston Villa goal chalked off I would be demanding the other manager let us have a free goal. the referee and linesman between them had the perfect view.

it was a bad decision. I never said it wasn't.

What I said was it isn't as ludicrous as people (evidently you) are making out. I can see why the officials thought it was a legitimate offside, although they were ultimately wrong.

The rest of your post about giving up a free goal is quite frankly absurd, but I would assume that's exactly what you were going for.

According to the laws of the game the player was not offside. I don't know how you can say he was offside.  Only players interfering with play can be offside. The Newcastle player furthest forward did not deflect the ball and was not obstructing the goalkeeper - he was clearly a couple of meters in front of him from the linesman's perspective.

The free goal idea has a precedent in a cup game, as recently as last year I think, one team was allowed to walk one in because of an officiating error.

Edited by Con

Â