Christian Benteke

Kwan

I agree vandaq, I love Benteke and I genuinely think he would be happy to stay, but he'd be a bit of a fool to move this summer imo and he wouldn't get much sympathy from me.  If he signs a new contract with a release clause in it then he gets the best of everything - more money, almost guaranteed place at the world cup, plus probably a dream move straight after it.  We get Benteke for one more year whilst Helenius settles in, and we get a big transfer fee next year.

I don't love Benteke.

I think he's a great player with a magnificent future in the game and I would like him to stay for our benefit. But I have no loyalty to the player at all, he's shown us none so far.

I can't bring myself to love somebody like that.

• Like 3

I don't love Benteke.

I think he's a great player with a magnificent future in the game and I would like him to stay for our benefit. But I have no loyalty to the player at all, he's shown us none so far.

What do you mean he has shown us none so far?

Have I missed something? Everything that has been reported regarding Benteke's future has either come from random twitter updates, holiday snaps, or his agent drumming up potential interest. Has Benteke himself come out and categorically stated that he wants to leave? No.

Like any footballer after a long first season in the Premier League, he is currently taking a well earned break. And he is hardly going to tell a fan that he is leaving. Come on.There is no rush. I know that will frustrate many Villa fans. I want it sorted out as much as anyone, but we have plenty of time & I am sure once he returns from his Holiday, we will have a clearer picture on what Benteke himself actually wants.

Personally, I think he would be mad to leave after only being with us for 10 months and committing to a 4 year contract. I know contracts mean nothing these days, but I think Benteke will do well to remember that Lambert was the man who took a punt on him & he seems a level headed enough guy to me who will take that on board. We are building something for the future. Will Benteke want to be a part of that. I hope so.

But, I will be reserving judgement on Benteke's loyalty until he gives us an answer. Give it time.

Edited by diehardvillan

I don't love Benteke.

Have I missed something? Everything that has been reported regarding Benteke's future has either come from random twitter updates, holiday snaps, or his agent drumming up potential interest. Has Benteke himself come out and categorically stated that he wants to leave? No.

Like any footballer after a long first season in the Premier League, he is currently taking a well earned break. And he is hardly going to tell a fan that he is leaving. Come on.There is no rush. I know that will frustrate many Villa fans. I want it sorted out as much as anyone, but we have plenty of time & I am sure once he returns from his Holiday, we will have a clearer picture on what Benteke himself actually wants.

Personally, I think he would be mad to leave after only being with us for 10 months and committing to a 4 year contract. I know contracts mean nothing these days, but I think Benteke will do well to remember that Lambert was the man who took a punt on him & he seems a level headed enough guy to me who will take that on board. We are building something for the future. Will Benteke want to be a part of that. I hope so.

But, I will be reserving judgement on Benteke's loyalty until he gives us an answer. Give it time.

The fact that we're even having to sit down and wrangle over a new contract, one year into his current (first) one tells me enough. 

I'm not saying I dislike the bloke, he's your average modern day footballer. I'm just not about to idolise him. 

I don't love Benteke.

The fact that we're even having to sit down and wrangle over a new contract, one year into his current (first) one tells me enough. 

I'm not saying I dislike the bloke, he's your average modern day footballer. I'm just not about to idolise him. 

I would assume that his only minus point is that he listens to his idiotic agent too much.

I thought I would really care if he went.

But I don't.

Players will come and go, few outside the top4 or 5 Clubs in the World can keep their stars.

I think PL could do an awful lot with the money - perhaps thats why I am less concerned, it is almost part of the logic of PL's approach that you would continually sell on improved players, and as long as we contine upwrds at the same time does it matter ?

I think it was very telling that when asked what he would do if someone offered 20 million for Benteke PL's initial comment was "I'd drive him there".

I don't think PL is overly concerned either way and don't think we should be either.

Edited by terrytini

I don't love Benteke.

You have just quoted yourself about the modern game. So I won't go there. ; )

But, in all seriousness, idolising doesn't even come into the debate. The fact is, Benteke has earnt the respect of the Villa fans. The fact that we are having to sit down and wrangle a new contract with him only tells me what a fantastic acquisition he was and what a superb season he had. It would happen at any other Club. The whole point in Lambert and the board wanting to discuss a new contract is purely based on us wanting to keep him and prize off any suitors for his signature. That is a good thing in my mind.

As I have said, I believe he would be mad to leave after only 10 months into a new contract, but because of the season he has had, Lambert is keen to tie him down to a longer deal. It is all about protecting the Club. Let's just wait until Benteke states what he wants. He obviously bought into Lambert's philosophy before he signed. Lambert I am sure will have gone into great detail on what his plans were for the Club going forward, each individual player and the timeline in which he believed his targets would come to fruition. Benteke doesn't strike me as a quitter. Yes, yes money talks. But Benteke has to think about what is best for him right now and that is staying with us. Be patient.

I would assume that his only minus point is that he listens to his idiotic agent too much.

He's a young lad and I'm willing to cut him a fair amount of slack for that. Also, I wonder what his father's influence is. 

Regardless, he's hardly got "Holte End Hero" written on his back as a result. I'd be annoyed if he left rather than gutted. Annoyed because I'd rather the manager had the room to concentrate on other things rather than replacing him, which I also trust Lambert to do for what it's worth.  

I don't love Benteke.

But, in all seriousness, idolising doesn't even come into the debate. The fact is, Benteke has earnt the respect of the Villa fans. The fact that we are having to sit down and wrangle a new contract with him only tells me what a fantastic acquisition he was and what a superb season he had. It would happen at any other Club. The whole point in Lambert and the board wanting to discuss a new contract is purely based on us wanting to keep him and prize off any suitors for his signature. That is a good thing in my mind.

As I have said, I believe he would be mad to leave after only 10 months into a new contract, but because of the season he has had, Lambert is keen to tie him down to a longer deal. It is all about protecting the Club. Let's just wait until Benteke states what he wants. He obviously bought into Lambert's philosophy before he signed. Lambert I am sure will have gone into great detail on what his plans were for the Club going forward, each individual player and the timeline in which he believed his targets would come to fruition. Benteke doesn't strike me as a quitter. Yes, yes money talks. But Benteke has to think about what is best for him right now and that is staying with us. Be patient.

Yes I'm emphasising my point about the modern game. I understand it and I'm comfortable with it. 

Idolising does come into it when I start to wonder how I'd feel if he was to leave, something I have highlighted above. I am being patient too, I'm just saying. I'm bored of it, I can't be arsed to worry about it. The club comes first, the manager a distant second and the players aside from a dwindling few are completely irrelevant when it comes to dolling out respect.

Tell me, what has he done to earn my respect, aside from being good at football?

I don't love Benteke.

Yes I'm emphasising my point about the modern game. I understand it and I'm comfortable with it. 

Idolising does come into it when I start to wonder how I'd feel if he was to leave, something I have highlighted above. I am being patient too, I'm just saying. I'm bored of it, I can't be arsed to worry about it. The club comes first, the manager a distant second and the players aside from a dwindling few are completely irrelevant when it comes to dolling out respect.

Tell me, what has he done to earn my respect, aside from being good at football?

It's been fun, but I am off out now. I have made my feelings perfectly clear as have you.

Football is a job to Christian Benteke.  He has surpassed all expectations this season and you can't blame him for keeping his options open.  If a top club comes in for him and offers what PL considers is a good price then he has a decision to make.  I am not convinced any club would offer any more than £20 million for him as he has only had one good season in the premier league.

I am sure that every body at Villa wants him to stay, but it is no good having an unhappy player at the club.  Villa should offer him a wage that falls within their wage structure and if he doesn't want to take it they should put him on the transfer list.

I have full confidence in Lambert's ability to replace him.

Football is a job to Christian Benteke.  He has surpassed all expectations this season and you can't blame him for keeping his options open.  If a top club comes in for him and offers what PL considers is a good price then he has a decision to make.  I am not convinced any club would offer any more than £20 million for him as he has only had one good season in the premier league.

I am sure that every body at Villa wants him to stay, but it is no good having an unhappy player at the club.  Villa should offer him a wage that falls within their wage structure and if he doesn't want to take it they should put him on the transfer list.

You just can't replace a striker like Benteke on our budget. I doubt Lambert could find another striker to score as many goals as Benteke did for less than 10 million euros. If we sold Benteke, Lambert would need to spend a large portion of that money on a proven striker to guarantee the same amount of production.

Honestly it would just be so much simpler to keep Benteke. 

Well no club is going to sign him for 20m because we will expect at least 30m

I do not give a crap what other clubs think he's worth to us he's our most vital player and if they do not pay the money they do not get the player... Simple

Edited by AshVilla

Â