Christian Benteke

Kwan

Whilst it's true he played well here for Roma, he didn't really do it consistently the whole time he was here. He could disappear, but I spose forwards do, and I didn't know anyone that wasn't pleased to get €30m for him at the time. Even though he was one of the best players, that sort of money in the right hands can take you places and Garcia has been amazing in that regard. Roma also got €10m (count them) for Bradley!!! Whilst he had played his part, was a hard worker and grabbed a coupel of important goals, he wasn't anywhere the quality needed in teh middle of the park. To get that much money for him was insane.

I digress. 

Yep Lamela could well be quality but I don't think he's £25m/€30m quality. We should be lookign to get that sort of money if and when Benteke goes and then do what Garcia did with the Lamela money, spend it wisely. Spurs payed over the odds for everyone they got IMO, even though they were smart enough to do their shopping BEFORE they got the Bale fee. Imagine how much Lamela would have been had they got him after?

Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge. But even you must be suprised with the way Spurs have so readily given up on him? Although €30 was probably over the odds, a lot of transfers are in today's market really.

I wasn't saying he wasn't any good, just that at that price it was too good to turn it down. Everyone liked him, don't get me wrong, just that €30m was loads of money for him. 

Not sure what the problem is at Spurs, you'd have thought he would have fitted right in, well with Bale on one side, Modric in the middle and Lamela on the right they'd have been pushing for the title.

• Like 1

I can't believe anyone around here is genuinely worried that a club like spurs could sign Benteke off us. There's zero chance of this happening.

If they had any brains he would have been playing for them this season.

Indeed. I find it absolutely hilarious that they wouldn't give us £25m for Benteke yet went out and blew £26m on Soldado. :lol:

So do I. What a ridiculous decision.

I can't believe anyone around here is genuinely worried that a club like spurs could sign Benteke off us. There's zero chance of this happening.

Indeed. I find it absolutely hilarious that they wouldn't give us £25m for Benteke yet went out and blew £26m on Soldado. :lol:

Come on lads, it's hardly ridiculous.  Soldado has a whole career of scoring at a rate of roughly a goal every other game (including at International level) - Benteke had had one very good season in the Premier League.

Come on lads, it's hardly ridiculous. Soldado has a whole career of scoring at a rate of roughly a goal every other game (including at International level) - Benteke had had one very good season in the Premier League.

I think benteke can go on to really great things and while only 1 season benteke showed he can do it at premiership level.

I agree with that (apart from the Prem level bit possibly; one season wonders do exist after all), but if you're giving me £25-30m to spend on a player, I go for the proven purchase every time.

You can take a gamble on a Benteke for the level of money we paid for him - but you go for proven players in the higher price brackets.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and Spurs, knowing what we all do now, may well have preferred to take Benteke on.  Not ridiculous to have made the decision they did, though (and I'm pleased they made it anyway :D).

Come on lads, it's hardly ridiculous.  Soldado has a whole career of scoring at a rate of roughly a goal every other game (including at International level) - Benteke had had one very good season in the Premier League.

Well yes i suppose you could argue it that way and hindsight is always easier but look at soldados goals in open play, 2 all season. Benteke has had a poor season overall and has more plus soldado is what 29? Would it not have made more sense to invest such a massive fee into a young player who would have some sell on value especially considering only one of them had any proof that they could do it in this league? Spurs wouldn't get 10m for soldado right now.

I'm glad they didn't stump up the rumoured 25m we wanted but still. Everyone gets a rod on about levy and his business reputation but spurs had a shocking summer we spent what 14m and arguably more of our signings have worked out than their 100m.

Come on lads, it's hardly ridiculous. Soldado has a whole career of scoring at a rate of roughly a goal every other game (including at International level) - Benteke had had one very good season in the Premier League.

I think benteke can go on to really great things and while only 1 season benteke showed he can do it at premiership level.

And as I posted in my last post in this thread, Benteke has a scoring rate of 0.51 goals per game (which is a goal ever other game) for us and we're coming to the end of his second season. 

Soldado seemingly can't do it in the Prem though.

Wouldnt be surprised if faulkner oks a swap deal with benteke for soldado, 2m and a packet of crisps this summer. I really hope he stays for another season though

Soldado wouldn't fit in our wage structure, so we're safe from that. 

Â