Christian Benteke

Kwan

What people tend to forget about him is the amount of assists he gained last season as well

It isn't just goals and considering were a team who lacks any creativity whatsoever were missing that side of his game as well

• Like 1

If only he took his chances against Everton

Yeah, how different things might be if that 7th minute penalty went in!

He had about 2 other good chances saved by a ridiculously inform Howard on the day.

Yeah but if the penalty had gone in the rest of chances probably would have and he'd be on roll by now.  It's amazing the impact of small action in a game like football.  Confidence is everything.

If only he took his chances against Everton

Yeah, how different things might be if that 7th minute penalty went in!

He had about 2 other good chances saved by a ridiculously inform Howard on the day.

Yeah but if the penalty had gone in the rest of chances probably would have and he'd be on roll by now.  It's amazing the impact of small action in a game like football.  Confidence is everything.

Once he gets one a lot will click for the team

he is still worth 30 milion. Football managers know this still. He is going through a bad patch but we know what he is capable. A few niggling injuries and confidence is down. Doesnt mean he isnt a future star. He is only young and has never had a bad injury.

He just needs a goal and he will bang them in again. he doesnt need the crowd getting on his back or as i heard in the other game the other day ironic cheers when he did something good. Support the lad and he will come good.

Wenger for example knows Villa arent a great side especially with possession. If he brought in Benteke he knows he will score a lot more goals than he would here.

I would take a 30 million offer in January though. Re invest it in the team. We are lacking throughout.

Just a couple of things I can see wrong with this ...

1. We wouldn't reinvest it all. And we wouldn't swap 1 players outgoing wages for 3/4 other incoming salaries either.

2. But lets say we did sell our best player for 30m. How much of that would we need to spend to replace the man that scores a ridiculous percentage of our goals?, and who would be that player to come in and do it ?. I'd say a conservative 20m plus high wages. If you could replace Benteke with an equally great player for less then nobody would be spending 30m on Benteke in the first place, quite obviously.

3. But even if Randy did respend the hypothetical 30m coming in that'd leave us with 10m (and the usual peanuts on wages) over to cover everything else needed. Why not just spend that 10m regardless on the creative midfielder that's been needed for longer than I or anyone else can remember ?

4. What's the **** point ?

What percentage of our goals has Benteke scored this season?

4/16 .. Which is 25% .. 

25% is a 'ridiculous amount' these days?

25% is a 'ridiculous amount' these days?

Seriously? Last season he scored a higher percent for us than any other player for their club and this season he started off similarly then got injured. I think you knew what OP was referring to when you were responding though :-)

Lambert said today that this was his first real injury, I think that's a pretty key point to why he is struggling. When you come back from injury the area still hurts for a while even though it's essentially healed (or healing from being used), but if you've never been injured before, you won't know how much pain is tolerable or even helpful to your recovery, and when the pain is bad enough that you're actually reinjuring the area. If you don't know, you will be tentative when the pain starts to come on as you'll be afraid of injuring the area worse, and if you're even a tad tentative in the prem you're gonna get punished for that. 

I think that's what's happening with Benteke. If this is really is his first real injury, it will take him longer to get back to his usual dominant self. Should be nothing to worry about long term, but it's frustrating right now. 

Here's the full quotes by the way. 

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/356755/Paul-Lambert-I-dare-Jamie-Redknapp-to-call-Christian-Benteke-a-pussycat-to-his-face

Paul Lambert: I dare Jamie Redknapp to call Christian Benteke a 'pussycat' to his face

PUNDIT Jamie Redknapp has been challenged to call Christian Benteke a "pussycat" to his face.

By Dave Armitage/ Published 20th December 2013

61159.jpgSTRUGGLING: Christian Benteke has found goals hard to come by this season [GETTY]

Former Liverpool and Spurs star Redknapp, the face of Sky Sports, criticised Benteke's loss of form.

However, Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert has laughed off suggestions that his powerhouse striker has lost his bite.

The £25m-rated Belgian has suffered a massive dip in form since lighting up the Premier League last season.

And Redknapp described him as a "lion playing like a pussycat" - but that's got short shrift from the Scot.

Lambert said: "You want to try and say that to his face! He's an imposing figure, no two ways about that."

61162.jpgCRTICAL: Jamie Redknapp has not been impressed by Christian Benteke [GETTY]

“You want to try and say that to his face!”
Paul Lambert

At 6ft 3in and with the physique of a boxer, Big Ben has proved a handful for the top flight's most experienced stoppers.

He rammed home 23 in his debut season and helped fire Belgium to the World Cup, but he hasn't seemed himself since injuring his hip.

Lambert added: "He is having a hard time, but he's still carrying a few knocks. He's got a little minor thing that's hindering him a bit.

"The injury was his first one in football, believe it or not. If he can handle it, I'm not so sure, but it's not that he's not trying. But as for Jamie's assumption, I've never known a player not try. Maybe it's a little bit of a lack of confidence, when things aren't going your way,

"He set himself such a high standard last year that the little knocks he's carrying aren't helping him. It's my job to rectify that."

Lambert admitted that he might need to consider resting his star man in a bid to get him firing again, saying: "I might need to look at that. I need to get him 100 per cent. He always wants to play.

"He's not in so much pain that he says, 'I can't do this'. It's not that, it's little things that are hindering the movement he has."

"He just needs one to go in. He's definitely not shrunk, but the confidence thing is major. If you're confident, you'll do things off the cuff without thinking about it. Maybe he's thinking too much."

No need to keep playing Benteke. If he really is carrying minor injuries, then rest him. We aren't nearly as reliant on Benteke as we were last year. Kozak has come in and chipped in with a few goals so no need to force Benteke to keep playing. 

Â