Christian Benteke

Kwan

Just out of interest, if Benteke had not of played for the club last season, but we had Bent in the team instead, do you think we would of still stayed up?

I would say yes-Benteke is a liability when defending corners & cost us soft goals.He wasted many promising attacks by drifting offside & he missed some bread & butter chances.

He was a great signing & had a great season but I don't buy into this "kept us up" bollocks.The way we play with the 2 wide strikers gives the frontman loads of opportunities.

Just out of interest, if Benteke had not of played for the club last season, but we had Bent in the team instead, do you think we would of still stayed up?

Impossible to say, because nobody knows what the Benteke money would've been spent on instead.

It is hard to say but he was apparently responsible for 40% of the goals so it's understandable where the claim that he kept Villa cmae from. Of course he can't do it by himself so I suppose the stat is somewhat flawed. He was an extremely valuable player last year. He could end up staying at Villa if Villa stands firm on its price and he'd be forced to play because of the upcoming World Cup. It's what I'd like to see happen as tempting as a move to Spurs would be for me as purely a Belgian national team supporter (he'd get to work with Vertonghen and Dembele, possibly Chadli).

I think Villa needs to make a stand otherwise what type of precident does it set for any future talents. Sure Villa would run the risk of other players not wanting to sign becuase they couldn't leave of their free will, but at some point a contract needs to mean something, because had he been miserable last year he would have gotten the same amount of money and Villa would still have to pay him.

• Like 1

I think Villa needs to make a stand otherwise what type of precident does it set for any future talents. Sure Villa would run the risk of other players not wanting to sign becuase they couldn't leave of their free will, but at some point a contract needs to mean something, because had he been miserable last year he would have gotten the same amount of money and Villa would still have to pay him.

I wholeheartedly agree with this and I think the risk of other players not wanting to sign is minimal but one that has to be borne.

There is no real reason Villa should get that reputation, either. Barry was kept for another year and then released when we didn't achieve the agreed target to keep him. As you rightly point out, a contract needs to mean something.

The message up and coming players need to get is "Yes, come here, it's a good place to develop your career and we won't stand in the way of ambition. But don't think you can take the piss by signing a long contract and then buggering off elsewhere after one decent season."

"if u put a 30m£ pricetag on his head at least pay him a wage thats fit his pricetag" thats what my father said to me when i asked his opinion about it.

He has been offered a much bigger contract already but refused to sign. 

It is hard to say but he was apparently responsible for 40% of the goals so it's understandable where the claim that he kept Villa cmae from. Of course he can't do it by himself so I suppose the stat is somewhat flawed. He was an extremely valuable player last year. He could end up staying at Villa if Villa stands firm on its price and he'd be forced to play because of the upcoming World Cup. It's what I'd like to see happen as tempting as a move to Spurs would be for me as purely a Belgian national team supporter (he'd get to work with Vertonghen and Dembele, possibly Chadli).

hey  ben je vlaming of waal? 

hey vous êtes flamand ou Waal?

hey are you flemish or waal?

"if u put a 30m£ pricetag on his head at least pay him a wage thats fit his pricetag" thats what my father said to me when i asked his opinion about it.

He has been offered a much bigger contract already but refused to sign. 

u mean the 40K/week?

Why should we do that?

He was happy to accept the money on offer 10 months ago.

We took the risk on him when no other team was prepared to.He is on very good money and was offered much more money to sign an extension to his contract.

Would he have allowed us to pay him less if he had not been a success?

Why should we do that?

We took the risk on him when no other team was prepared to.He is on very good money and was offered much more money to sign an extension to his contract.

because back then he didnt proved anything yet but now he has proven his wealth if ud offered him like 70K/week he would have extended his contract with 1 year. probaply 

Belgian Guy, I think we have offered him £50k a week and addons. After Bent and Ireland depart, he and Agbonlahor would be our highest paid players.

I think that is fair don't you?

i tought it was 40K/week? imo if i was benteke i would do it for 1K/week lol

• Like 1

Why should we do that?

because back then he didnt proved anything yet but now he has proven his wealth if ud offered him like 70K/week he would have extended his contract with 1 year. probaply 

Belgian Guy, I think we have offered him £50k a week and addons. After Bent and Ireland depart, he and Agbonlahor would be our highest paid players.

I think that is fair don't you?

i tought it was 40K/week? imo if i was benteke i would do it for 1K/week lol

But what about every other player in the team? The ones who did all the work for him to score the goals?

Why should only 1 player get so much more than his team mates?

We are not Man City-We do not make a profit and we need to keep our wages in proportion to what money is coming in.

I know BG, the amounts are just ridiculous, I'd do it for £500 a week!

But yeah, we have stripped back our wage structure and do not want £70k, £100k a week players anymore. We were basically rewarding him with an offer of becoming one of our highest paid players, I feel that is quite some offer and probably about as high as we can go without breaking our new structure.

Obviously it is hard to contend with these teams that will pay a 32-year-old Scott Parker £80k a week, but that is football nowadays and if we choose not to contend then I guess we cannot complain when players leave because of being able to get more money.

What we can complain about though is players handing in transfer requests and not showing respect to a club who gave him a chance to make his mark, after just 10 months.

It's football though, shame how the game has become, but as Lambert says - we go again.

• Like 3

So Ashley Westwood, Andreas Weimann, Brad Guzan sign nee extended contracts along with new signings, showing, unlike in recent seaso s, a real effort from Villa to look to build something and ambition. This just shows how disrespectful to his fellow team mates Benteke's behaviour is. It's as if he is saying that last season was all about him. No appreciation of their contribution. This more than anything is what **** me off about this whole thing. And if Spurs fans think he'll be different there then let me say right now, a leopard never changes its spots.

• Like 1

Why he signed a contract for £20k. If he had turned out shite we would have been left holding the baby. Putting that aside we have offered better terms, in exchange for an extension, which has been thrown back in our face.

Some you win, some you lose. Ireland being an example of AVFC losing. Can we ask him to lower his wage?

• Like 1

I know BG, the amounts are just ridiculous, I'd do it for £500 a week!

But yeah, we have stripped back our wage structure and do not want £70k, £100k a week players anymore. We were basically rewarding him with an offer of becoming one of our highest paid players, I feel that is quite some offer and probably about as high as we can go without breaking our new structure.

Obviously it is hard to contend with these teams that will pay a 32-year-old Scott Parker £80k a week, but that is football nowadays and if we choose not to contend then I guess we cannot complain when players leave because of being able to get more money.

What we can complain about though is players handing in transfer requests and not showing respect to a club who gave him a chance to make his mark, after just 10 months.

It's football though, shame how the game has become, but as Lambert says - we go again.

yea i know our bondscoach will be furius if he ended on the bench. the Belgian media went nuts when we found out Benteke had requested a transfer. we are still all like: wat the hell now already??? no1 understands why he has done it but he's a young guy who is not the greatest mind in the world. he is so easly vulnerbale for bad influense. his agent has manupilated thats for sure. only he doesn't see it. 

• Like 3

Belgian guy I think you need to understand Paul Lambert and what he is trying to build at Villa. He has stated on numerous occasions that he only wants players who want to play for the club.

You can guarantee that he will not be held to ransom by a player who will only stay if they are offered more money than we are prepared to pay.

He has shown he is willing to reward players with pay rises despite them still having 3 years left on a contract but this will have to fit in with the clubs new wage structure.

The club has shown they will not fall at the first sign of player unrest and I fully back them on this.

Â