Christian Benteke

Kwan

I know the boys good...damn good...but the downside is he knows it as well. I  only hope that his arrogance and reputation trips him up, although its odds on someone will take a risk on him.

I know it smacks of sour grapes and it would never happen, but I'd laugh my conkers off if the only club to meet the asking price were some oil-rich Qatari second stringers........and we accepted it! :D

I could see this type of thing happening.  

I could also see him being left to rot for a year.  I could also see him playing for Villa for another year.  The one thing I'd be mightily shocked to see would be him ending up at Spurs - thinking rationally, for me, is the least likely scenario out there. 

Out of interest, could someone please give me the link to where someone from Villa (manager/owner/official) cited a specific minimum sale price for Benteke?

Oh look, the other one is here too.

Point out where somebody official from Spurs has expressed an interest in Benteke and we'll let you stay and pontificate all you like.

All I've done is make a request, as I gather from numerous posts in this thread that there is some specific minimum price - a price set by AVFC - that any club has to meet if they wish to sign Benteke. Or have I gained the wrong impression and there is no such stated price? All I seek is clarity on the subject.

You could always get Bent.

• Like 1

Out of interest, could someone please give me the link to where someone from Villa (manager/owner/official) cited a specific minimum sale price for Benteke?

Point out where somebody official from Spurs has expressed an interest in Benteke and we'll let you stay and pontificate all you like.

All I've done is make a request, as I gather from numerous posts in this thread that there is some specific minimum price - a price set by AVFC - that any club has to meet if they wish to sign Benteke. Or have I gained the wrong impression and there is no such stated price? All I seek is clarity on the subject.

well ..... the price will be set by AVFC as Beneteke is under contract at ..... GUESS WHO ...... AVFC ...... It would be very stupid of Lambert to publicly say how much he would be accept to part with tekkers but you can bet a good chunk of your monthly wage spurs wont have the kind of cash we are demanding.

Every Spurs fan I know is patronising, the only abuse I got during our bad run, other from a Chelsea fan, was from a Spurs fan who text me EVERY SINGLE TIME we lost.

They have this belief that they are above all else and that teams should be so delighted to hand players over to them.

It's winning the league twice that gives them that arrogance.

All I've done is make a request, as I gather from numerous posts in this thread that there is some specific minimum price - a price set by AVFC - that any club has to meet if they wish to sign Benteke. Or have I gained the wrong impression and there is no such stated price? All I seek is clarity on the subject.

The best person to speak to for this information would be a Mr Campbell I think.........Yes, yes............it's coming to me now.

Yes, Sol..........That's his name

Sol Campbell :P;)

I admit to all you say. I haven't watched him enough to form a decent opinion, which was my point. What I have seen hasn't made me think he's amazing, so I'm interested to know why you think he's amazing, how does he compare to Berbatov of two or three years ago for example? On the goals scored thing, I think that they are significant, but as you say it's only one season, if he'd done it for consecutive seasons then I think £25m would have been a fair evaluation, in fact any player who's scored a hatful for two season in a row is worth a look at, but atm I'm worried he's this seasons Andy Carroll.

Well if you admit it, why on earth do you feel in any kind of position to say what level of fee is justified and what isn't? Do you not see how daft that sounds? You haven't seen enough of him to have an informed opinion.

I've already told you why I think he is a talent, seemingly either you aren't convinced by what I've said or haven't read it or think I should spend more time trying to convince you. I'm not going to do the later and I can't do much about the former.

The goals scored is significant, the variety in type of goals scored is significant, his age is significant and the fact so many of his goals came in the second half of the season is significant.

Just remind me, when exactly did Andy Carroll score 19 PL goals? I would also point out that take a look at his fee when he joined Newcastle or the fee West Ham paid for him this summer. Then try and tell me a player who has just turned 22, has scored the goals Benteke scored in our team and was in the running for young PFA player of the year isn't worth £25m in this market.

It matters not what you think of him as a player, in the PL transfer market that is the value that sort of player can command. Like it or not.

As with most fans I only see players from my own team regularly, and the players of other teams if they play in high-profile matches, or against us, for this reason I haven't seen a lot of Benteke. I did go onto a site this morning and watch the first 20 minutes of your match against Chelsea, just to see what impression I could glean, and to have a comparison between him and a similar player in Ba. The impression I got was that he's a very good hold-up player, he won most balls which were cleared in his direction, and got involved in a couple of good moves, and scored a great goal, what concerned me though was he seemed a bit lazy off the ball, and just kind of strolled around when you didn't have the ball. He also looked a bit clumsy - and this came across in the youtube clips too - no where near as cultured as a Berbatov for instance. For me, it may well be that he goes onto become the next Drogba, but I'm not convinced. People point to a decent first season in the PL and that should be taken into account, but it is only one season, and £25m is a ridiculous amount for a player with a single season and all those question-marks attached. You guys have seen him more though so perhaps you can tell me what I'm missing?

With respect, you are missing quite a bit and by all accounts around 37 games and 70 odd minutes.

You appear to be making your assessment on the player and his worth on the basis of 20 mins of a game in which we were playing a significantly superior side who had some months earlier put 8 past us. We therefore didn't exactly go for their throats in the first 20 mins, so we weren't committing players forward so Benteke wasn't much in the game during this spell.

I guess it depends what you want from a striker, if you want someone to chase defenders Benteke might not be the man. If you want someone to be able to score 20+ league goals a season even with poor service he has already shown he is the man. Had you had him this season you would likely be playing CL next season.

I'd imagine you are perhaps drawing mental comparison to Bent when you talk about his lack of movement off the ball, there is no similarity to be drawn believe me.

Yes it is one season in the PL but what a season it has been, can you name me a striker who has had as good a season in their first season in the PL at the age of 21? I rather suspect you might struggle. You might not particularly rate him, but plenty of others do including those fellow pro's who voted him in the running for Young PFA player of the year.

You might think £25m is ridiculous for a player with one season in the PL but put it this way, if he repeats it next season what is he then worth?

Ultimately it is up to Villa to state what he is available for, Spurs can either match that price, try and get us to lower it or they can go away.

Without meaning to sound rude, I rather suspect your scouts have done a bit more of a thorough scouting job than you've managed and like us, they realise how good a player he is and if they are honest they probably know he is worth the figures being talked about.

I don't blame them for trying to get him for less, but in a market that see's Henderson join Liverpool for £20m Benteke is worth at least £25m. You might think that crazy but that is the market. Take it or leave it.

I admit to all you say. I haven't watched him enough to form a decent opinion, which was my point. What I have seen hasn't made me think he's amazing, so I'm interested to know why you think he's amazing, how does he compare to Berbatov of two or three years ago for example? On the goals scored thing, I think that they are significant, but as you say it's only one season, if he'd done it for consecutive seasons then I think £25m would have been a fair evaluation, in fact any player who's scored a hatful for two season in a row is worth a look at, but atm I'm worried he's this seasons Andy Carroll.

If you're a Spurs fan and you are still looking up youtube video's despite him being one of the top performers in this year's premier league then not being rude you may need to watch more football.

Tell that to my wife   :P But seriously, I watch just about every game Spurs play, then a fair few of the other big games, but in all honesty I'm not going to spend my weekends watching Villa am I? When you come on MotD, when we play you, and then trying to get an idea of the quality of Benteke... that seems a decent amount of football watching to me!!

I can't understand why he would want to go a toss pot club like spuds. If he wants to go to London there are better teams than them.

I don't think Arsenal or Chelsea want him, both have bigger fish to fry... if Arsenal were interested I'm sure he'd be there in a shot... in the case of Chelsea it seems he thinks he won't get enough game time.

Just watch the game away to liverpool, then you will see what he is capable of.  Your comparison with berbertov is invalid.  Benteke bests 90% of defenders for both strength and pace (Berbertov is not in the same league physically) Benteke puts himself about, he may not charge round the pitch like a headless chicken but he always closes down the closest defender and for us he saw so much of the ball as not only was he our main outlet, but also our most creative attacker. He doesn't have the same composure and touch that Berbertov has but the fact is he is a much more well round player.  He is the complete striker. Power, pace, decent first touch, can dribble, can shoot long, places his shoots, the highest leap in the league, and over the second half of the season he became much more clinical too. I don't see how he can be a one season wonder unless he completely loses his head or injury destroy's him. He has all the talents to be the best out and out striker in the world, period!

Believe it or not that's the information I was looking for... I was giving an opinion based on my honestly admitted lack of knowledge, i.e. I don't know enough, but based on the little I do know I think... but can you inform me why that's wrong. Based on what you've been saying I'm a lot more excited about the prospect of potentially signing him.

That said, also from what you've said, sadly (but happily for you guys) I think there's no chance, it seems there's potentially three strikers we can sign: Soldado, Benteke, Damiao. Of the three though Damiao is reportedly the cheapest option, Soldado the most reliable, and Benteke potentially the most exciting, knowing our budget, the fact that we're a mid-sized club like yourselves, and that AVB supposedly really rates Damiao I think that's who we'll plump for. I think having Benteke on a three year contract puts all the cards in your hands, and you'd be mad to sell him for less than you value him, because you could sell him for the same or more next season. The only question in my mind is whether Villa really value him as highly as you lot all say, or whether that £25m is the first price in the negotiation. If £25m really is the price then I hope Levy cops on quickly, decides if he wants to pay it, and if he doesn't withdraws from the negotiation with respect. I'd absolutely hate it if we went down the Chelsea, Utd, Real type route and try to destabilise the player. If we don't want to pay the fee, then we should move on and let everyone know that's what we're doing.

Spurs thinking they can become a champions league side on the cheap  :crylaugh:

It doesn't work that way you will have to break the bank like everybody else

25 mill or **** off if you want to play with the big boys behave like them

That's what all clubs of our size need to do. Dortmund's CL final squad was put together on a shoe-string, Reus cost £15m, all the other players under £5m. I agree with your sentiment though, if we want to target players of Benteke's quality then we have to stump up, otherwise we need to do like you did and take a gamble on this year's Benteke, signing a less well known player for under £10m.

That's what all clubs of our size need to do. Dortmund's CL final squad was put together on a shoe-string, Reus cost £15m, all the other players under £5m. I agree with your sentiment though, if we want to target players of Benteke's quality then we have to stump up, otherwise we need to do like you did and take a gamble on this year's Benteke, signing a less well known player for under £10m.

You know what. You are a likeable spurs fan who seems to have his head screwed on right.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

well ..... the price will be set by AVFC as Beneteke is under contract at ..... GUESS WHO ...... AVFC ...... It would be very stupid of Lambert to publicly say how much he would be accept to part with tekkers but you can bet a good chunk of your monthly wage spurs wont have the kind of cash we are demanding.

Thank you for answering my question. I had previously been led to believe that a price of minimum of £25m had been set, but it seems from your comments that this is not the case. My view of the situation has changed quite considerably.as a result.

Edited by GlastonSpur

LOL spurs can't afford tekkers - not his transfer fee nor his increased wage demands - pure folly to think otherwise given Levy's stance(s) on signings and contracts in the past.

But LISTEN UP SPUDS

WE

DONT

HAVE

TO

SELL

HIM

20k a week is monkey nuts to us - he will be a bench warmer unless someone coughs up some serious cash for him. take your 25 mil and stick it up your chairman's backside.

They haven't got £25 million.  Levy, right at this moment, is going around all those 1980's style executive boxes at "The Lane" (sigh) and rooting around the backs of all the mock leather sofas they have for loose change.  Failing that it's up the road to "Spurs Lodge" (sigh) to flog off a football pitch or two.

• Like 1

I had previously been led to believe that a price of minimum of £25m had been set, but it seems from your comments that this is not the case. My view of the situation has changed quite considerably.as a result.

I hope your view has changed considerably as I think it will take 28mill + to get Benteke.

How about you seek clarity on a Spurs forum.

Thank you for answering my question. I had previously been led to believe that a price of minimum of £25m had been set, but it seems from your comments that this is not the case. My view of the situation has changed quite considerably.as a result.

And we care???

Trot on.......

The problem is these fans of the top 6 clubs wouldn't have watched Villa or Benteke much they are just interested in "Super Sunday"  matches so they have no idea of how good he is or what his true value should be, it's ignorance.

For example some people tell me Lukaku is as good as or if not better than Benteke, now I find that very hard to believe but I don't take much interest in West Brom matches so I am ignorant to give my opinion on this. 

Those who have watched Villa and Benteke in all his matches know he's the real deal and under £25 million is an insult. Top European goal scorer in 2013. Scored or created 49% of our goals. Trust me that's a huge amount. And only 22....wow.

It's sad league position dictates how big a club are these days. Are Spurs really bigger than Villa with their shity stadium and no European Cups?

This deadline we've put on the transfer I wouldn't give much credence to that. A "big" club come in with £30 million on the last day of transfer window and he wants to go, can you see him staying in that scenario? Nope. 

Spurs you would think unlikely due to their relatively low wage structure and reluctance to break their transfer record again. Pellegrini has said City want a striker. Higuain to Arsenal has gone a bit quiet too. I wouldn't rule Arsenal out at all.

Edited by supernova26

If the 25m valuation isn't met he stays at Villa - simple. 

But there is no such valuation it seems - at least not one set by AVFC. In which case, how do you (or anyone else on VT) know what the club will or will not accept? Isn't it all just subjective opinion, with no factual backing?

But there is no such valuation it seems - at least not one set by AVFC. In which case, how do you (or anyone else on VT) know what the club will or will not accept? Isn't it all just subjective opinion, with no factual backing?

Actually the press , ok Express and Star, are reporting 30 million. But you are right. Nobody outside the club really knows.

But regardless there is no point in us trying to convince each other how much he is/isnt worth. I am not Lerner and you are (presumably) not Levy. How the hell would we know?

We don't get shit money for our best players. £20m each for Downing and Milner and £18M for Young. All had less time on their contract than Benteke. If Tottenham think they are going to get one of the best strikers in the league for £15-£18M Then they're **** crazy.

Edited by Daniel

I personally think the figure of 25mill falls short of what we want. I base this on us having sold Milner for 27 mill, a 27 year old Downing for 20 mill and Ashley Young who had one year left on his contract for 17 mill.  All three of these were midfielders.The going rate it seems for a quality forward is a fair bit more. In fact scarp quality forward a shite forward will cost you a pretty penny it seems. I base this on Carroll going to Plop for 35 mill, then after failing onto West Ham for 15 mill.

What do you rate Bentekes worth at and what do you base that on?

Edited by markavfc40

Â