Christian Benteke

Kwan

I agree with your statement at the end, but currently Spurs are using there media friends, by saying this is the price they are willing to pay and that our asking price is too much. So you are doing exactly what the likes of Chelsea/United have done previously but your boss cried foul. I will not be surprised if our player goes on strike next week IMHO.

Well that's what I was saying in my first post that I hope we don't do, and hope doesn't happen. I don't think we've crossed the line yet, but if we start seeing us playing silly-buggers I'll be very disappointed, primarily because I think everyone ends up a loser that way!

As annoying as this short-lived saga is...

.. it just makes me glad that Lambert bought Benteke last year!

Yes, he's not going to be here long. But we're going to get a decent sum of cash, and I'm certain that Lerner will give Lambert a decent percentage of, to invest back into the side.

It's like when Blackburn sold Santa-Cruz, or Everton sold Rooney.. I was thinking 'Why don't we have an outstanding talent who we can get a load of dosh for!'.... and now we do!

*weeps*

• Like 2

Why does everyone think Spurs.  Arsenal are on the look out for a stiker.  Reports from Real is that they havent even bid for Higuanin.  Wenger was interested in Bentekke last year and Bentekke is Arsenal fan.  I dont think Spurs is a stone waller.

Pellegrini has announced at his press conference that he will be signing another striker.

The scraping noise that you hear is Levy leaving the table.

Citeh and Chelski bidding war please.

As with most fans I only see players from my own team regularly, and the players of other teams if they play in high-profile matches, or against us, for this reason I haven't seen a lot of Benteke. I did go onto a site this morning and watch the first 20 minutes of your match against Chelsea, just to see what impression I could glean, and to have a comparison between him and a similar player in Ba. The impression I got was that he's a very good hold-up player, he won most balls which were cleared in his direction, and got involved in a couple of good moves, and scored a great goal, what concerned me though was he seemed a bit lazy off the ball, and just kind of strolled around when you didn't have the ball. He also looked a bit clumsy - and this came across in the youtube clips too - no where near as cultured as a Berbatov for instance. For me, it may well be that he goes onto become the next Drogba, but I'm not convinced. People point to a decent first season in the PL and that should be taken into account, but it is only one season, and £25m is a ridiculous amount for a player with a single season and all those question-marks attached. You guys have seen him more though so perhaps you can tell me what I'm missing?

With respect, you are missing quite a bit and by all accounts around 37 games and 70 odd minutes.

You appear to be making your assessment on the player and his worth on the basis of 20 mins of a game in which we were playing a significantly superior side who had some months earlier put 8 past us. We therefore didn't exactly go for their throats in the first 20 mins, so we weren't committing players forward so Benteke wasn't much in the game during this spell.

I guess it depends what you want from a striker, if you want someone to chase defenders Benteke might not be the man. If you want someone to be able to score 20+ league goals a season even with poor service he has already shown he is the man. Had you had him this season you would likely be playing CL next season.

I'd imagine you are perhaps drawing mental comparison to Bent when you talk about his lack of movement off the ball, there is no similarity to be drawn believe me.

Yes it is one season in the PL but what a season it has been, can you name me a striker who has had as good a season in their first season in the PL at the age of 21? I rather suspect you might struggle. You might not particularly rate him, but plenty of others do including those fellow pro's who voted him in the running for Young PFA player of the year.

You might think £25m is ridiculous for a player with one season in the PL but put it this way, if he repeats it next season what is he then worth?

Ultimately it is up to Villa to state what he is available for, Spurs can either match that price, try and get us to lower it or they can go away.

Without meaning to sound rude, I rather suspect your scouts have done a bit more of a thorough scouting job than you've managed and like us, they realise how good a player he is and if they are honest they probably know he is worth the figures being talked about.

I don't blame them for trying to get him for less, but in a market that see's Henderson join Liverpool for £20m Benteke is worth at least £25m. You might think that crazy but that is the market. Take it or leave it.

I admit to all you say. I haven't watched him enough to form a decent opinion, which was my point. What I have seen hasn't made me think he's amazing, so I'm interested to know why you think he's amazing, how does he compare to Berbatov of two or three years ago for example? On the goals scored thing, I think that they are significant, but as you say it's only one season, if he'd done it for consecutive seasons then I think £25m would have been a fair evaluation, in fact any player who's scored a hatful for two season in a row is worth a look at, but atm I'm worried he's this seasons Andy Carroll.

If you're a Spurs fan and you are still looking up youtube video's despite him being one of the top performers in this year's premier league then not being rude you may need to watch more football.

Tell that to my wife  :P But seriously, I watch just about every game Spurs play, then a fair few of the other big games, but in all honesty I'm not going to spend my weekends watching Villa am I? When you come on MotD, when we play you, and then trying to get an idea of the quality of Benteke... that seems a decent amount of football watching to me!!

I can't understand why he would want to go a toss pot club like spuds. If he wants to go to London there are better teams than them.

I don't think Arsenal or Chelsea want him, both have bigger fish to fry... if Arsenal were interested I'm sure he'd be there in a shot... in the case of Chelsea it seems he thinks he won't get enough game time.

I'm almost beginning to think that Benteke's move has backfired on him, and that the other clubs are going to be reluctant to gamble that much money on a player who has shown his true colours with regards to Loyalty.... It's now turning into an interesting situation, and I can see that other clubs are looking and thinking "Hmmm, not sure if we want him now".... Think about it, he's handed in a transfer request after 10 months of being at Villa. He's not out of favour, he's performing and scoring goals, it's a World Cup year and it's clear that his best interests would be served staying put. I think clubs are looking at those facts and are having second thoughts. If Villa block any move I an also see the PFA having no sympathy for him whatsoever, and tell him that the situation is of his own making. It's my take on the situation and it's an interesting talking point too...

Edited by DeadlyDirk

Hah! How would Benteke staying at Villa cause us to lose out!?

Because we could be left with a player who doesnt give 100% and his value may decrease.

Yes, he really wants to play poorly in the lead up to the World Cup because that will do his chances of international squad selection the power of good!

• Like 1

I think if a deal is struck it will suite both clubs, but perhaps neither set of fans. Those dealing with the transfer are going to be much more reasonable and objective than fans. Spurs fans (and Liverpool, Arsenal etc) think he is worth around £15 million, whilst you guys want £25 million+. The reality will be a deal that is much fairer for all parties involved. So it will probably be £15 - £18 million and then additional payments will be made according the Benteke's success that could total another £10 million+. That way if Benteke really is the player you think he will be, then you get the money (£25 mill +) for him. If he isn't and fails at Spurs (or wherever he goes) then you've still more than doubled your money and we haven't been stung quite so badly. 

As I said, it's not the deal either set of fans would like, but it's what will most likely happen. There is no way we are going to stump up £25 million+ for him and there is no way you'll accept £15 million. A compromise is far more likely than no resolution at all, despite what fans might think. 

I think if a deal is struck it will suite both clubs, but perhaps neither set of fans. Those dealing with the transfer are going to be much more reasonable and objective than fans. Spurs fans (and Liverpool, Arsenal etc) think he is worth around £15 million, whilst you guys want £25 million+. The reality will be a deal that is much fairer for all parties involved. So it will probably be £15 - £18 million and then additional payments will be made according the Benteke's success that could total another £10 million+. That way if Benteke really is the player you think he will be, then you get the money (£25 mill +) for him. If he isn't and fails at Spurs (or wherever he goes) then you've still more than doubled your money and we haven't been stung quite so badly. 

As I said, it's not the deal either set of fans would like, but it's what will most likely happen. There is no way we are going to stump up £25 million+ for him and there is no way you'll accept £15 million. A compromise is far more likely than no resolution at all, despite what fans might think. 

I can tell you now there is no way Villa will accept a fee that is less than they got for Downing. Delusional considering you've been here a while.

Edited by SikhInTrinity
  • Like 2

Hah! How would Benteke staying at Villa cause us to lose out!?

Because we could be left with a player who doesnt give 100% and his value may decrease.

Yes, he really wants to play poorly in the lead up to the World Cup because that will do his chances of international squad selection the power of good!

In a strange turn of events I agree with pacbuddies.

It's not in his interest to play silly buggers - he's on a 3 year contract and if he pisses around he could really mess up his career. 

I like to think a compromise is more likely in a year's time.

There is no way we are going to stump up £25 million+ for him 

Then he wont be going and the compromise is you keep your pittance of a fee that undervalues our player and we keep our player

Â