ron-paul.gif

I'd like to say that that gif is justified, but it's not...

Anywho, it's that time of year again, E3! This year should be a particularly interesting one as we're going to have 2 new pieces of hardware showing off what they can do. Whether that hardware is able to over come quite the terrible word of mouth the Xbox One, for example, is receiving, thats another story.

Anyway, it's technically already started - Konami have done their now traditional pre-E3 video, showing off the new Metal Gear (IT'S GOT 24's Keifer Sutherland!!!!1!!), PES, and Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2. Nothing massively exciting although as someone who enjoyed the first Lords of Shadow, the second looks fun and, again, Patrick Stuart sounds like he was stoned whilst recording his lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRvnyT1R8J8

Microsoft kick off the show proper tomorrow evening at 5.30pm. They basically need to have the best E3 ever as their console appears to have all the support of any piece of hardware whose major audience wouldn't touch with a shitty stick would have. I don't think they're going to blow anyone away and frankly I'm going to have the popcorn out watching for how much bullshit is spurted from the speakers mouths. Expect to see more COD, yawn, and maybe a nod towards Halo. Probably that weird top down thing they announced last week, though. Nothing earth shattering.

Hot on MS heels at 9pm is EA. EA will roll out their usual shit - we'll discover what year it is in Madden and FIFA this year (defensive, attacking, engine change, graphical? Place yer bets), they'll tell us about the new raping of the corpse of Need for Speed and they'll try to convince us that their latest anti consumer bullshit isn't bullshit. Oh, and they'll desperately tell us how FIFA will be helped by the Kinect.

Then we have Ubisoft at 11pm. Ubisoft stuff is always mental, expect to see some madness at some point, probably involving rabbids, before the usual roll out of this years Tom Clancy cash in and the big hitter of a proper look at the game that took E3 by storm last year, Watchdogs. Expect Watchdogs to not be quite as incredible as you hoped, but still pretty. Also expect Assassin's Creed to take a little more of a backseat than usual at a Ubi conference.

Sony round out Monday at 2am. Hard to say what Sony will show, but expect a lot of games to be shown and, of course, a proper look at the actual machine. Sony could do with a good conference to cement their position so I expect them to be coy about a lot of what is actually going on behind the scenes with the PS4.

Nintendo haven't bothered with E3 this year and aren't hosting a conference. Frankly thats probably a good move - instead they are releasing a prerecorded hour long Nintendo Direct which is expected to show off the new flagship Mario game, amongst other things. Rumours have flown around of a look at a new Zelda (not sure about that myself) and a possible pricedrop/eyecatching bundle deal. I think that could well be in the offering - the Wii U has had a disasterous time since launch and Nintendo need to kickstart sales - banging down the price in the wake of the new console announcements wouldn't be a terrible idea. Be interesting to see what Nintendo do with the 3DS as well - the console has picked up now and has grown a nice little selection of titles, they need to keep that momentum.

Activision aren't holding a conference this year either - though given how big COD is, they'll feature on the stages regardless. Microsoft will no doubt have them up showing off a level from Ghosts and perhaps announce another timed exclusivity deal for map DLC.

So thats E3 this year - it should be a more exciting one than recent years but, somehow, it's not got me at all hyped. I'm hoping for big things, but none of them are expected to be at Sony's or Microsoft's offerings imo.

Edited by Chindie

guessing at surprises, EA will show mirrors edge 2

the xbox one exclusives will be the most exciting thing, make or break stuff, expecting sony to walk away with huge shit eating grins

what i really want is a next gen dynasty warriors, 500 people on screen!!!

Mirrors Edge 2 seems to have become a bit of a surprise shoe in for EA's conference. Kinect enabled no doubt. A horror show waiting to happen.

Something I'm very interested in seeing, actually, is Prey 2. It got shown a couple of years ago and then vanished, to the extent people believed it had been cancelled. But apparently the word now is that it's very much alive and been shunted to next gen hardware. It looked absolutely astonishing before, great ideas and design - I'd love to see what it's like now. Fingers crossed.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm most interested in seeing BF4 (i'm a bit of a BF-fanboy), but no doubt it will be completely underwhelming, trying it's hardest to be more like COD. Also, the Xbone exclusives will be interesting too, other than that...  i'm really not that arsed. Are the times you've stated BST Chindie? 

What are the chances of Halo5 getting a mention? I have a feeling it will be in some form.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to it. I'm most interested in seeing BF4 (i'm a bit of a BF-fanboy), but no doubt it will be completely underwhelming, trying it's hardest to be more like COD. Also, the Xbone exclusives will be interesting too, other than that...  i'm really not that arsed. Are the times you've stated BST Chindie? 

What are the chances of Halo5 getting a mention? I have a feeling it will be in some form.

Those times are BST, indeed. They usually go a little off so they're more of a rough guide than anything, but it's pretty much the same schedule as it's been for the last couple of years.

Halo 5 isn't a stretch, they'll be working on it certainly. Don't expect much though - I know P3te reckons it might be a launch title, I'm of the mind that it's much more likely a 2014 release. I don't think it's beyond the realms of doubt that a couple of Halo titles get shown off though - as villa4europe says they've got to milk out 15 exclusives as much as they can, and even with a bunch of XBLA shit I don't think they can hit that nmumber without Halo once or twice.

I'm praying for Last Guardian to be a PS4 launch title. 

No Rockstar there this year :(.

I'm expecting Watch Dogs to be the game that steals the show.

Edited by Bradd92

There will be a Mirrors Edge 2? I loved the first game! Was bloody difficult though.

Really cannot wait for E3. Hoping for some good stuff regarding the ps4. Loved the fact you could Skype whilst playing games on the xbox. Hopefully there is something similar on the ps4. Would love to be able to do that whilst playing Fifa.

Mirrors Edge 2 had it's own page "accidentally" published on EA.com a few weeks ago.  I think it would be more surprising if it was not announced than if it is.  

I'll probably follow the event from afar this year, I've watched press conferences in the past but I might just have to make do with sticky threads on Neogaf and whatever Giant Bomb put out as podcasts this time around.    

Also it will be interesting to see how Microsoft and Sony react to the announcement of the Xbox One.   Microsoft have some serious ass kissing to do if they are to get back all the goodwill they had prior to the 21st May, and Sony have had a couple of weeks to decide what to do with the PS4 given they were highly likely to just do what Microsoft had announced they are doing with the Xbox, only now they find they can probably clean up in early sales if they decide to be the friendly company and let a lot of that draconian shit slide for a year or two.  

*edit*

@ jat_r,   I doubt you will be able to Skype on PS4.  Microsoft own Skype and they will probably see it to their advantage to keep it off of Sony's machine.   Sony will have an alternative chat service of course, but it might be Playstation to Playstation only while you can talk to pretty much anything that can connect to the internet on Skype. 

Edited by The_Rev

i think it is a wise move by nintendo to not show, there is no need and probably best for them to carry on working on the next selection of games, whilst also keeping them quiet until something is worth showing off. Hope to see more of the new Pokemon and Zelda games to be previewed and perhaps a little shock announcement on the video wouldn't go astray.

I might follow GiantBomb's coverage but I cannot stand Klepek so it might be a stretch...

Well, I assume you know he is leaving San Francisco for Chicago in a couple of weeks so after E3 you will be able to avoid him a lot more easily! 

Looking forward to E3 this year.

I'm predicting Sony will give us the price and release date for the PS4.

Naughty Dog will reveal their next title - Uncharted 4.

10 of Microsoft's 15 exclusives will require you to use Kinect. The other 5 will "support" Kinect.

Microsoft will use key words like "synergy", "revolutionise" and "innovate" at least 5 times in their conference.

Microsoft and/or Ubisoft will have an artist come out to perform music.

EA will have a retired sportsperson come out to pump up one of their games.

Dubstep will still be prominent in sizzle reels and trailers.

* Don't actually put your money on any of these things. I have no idea.

Most of those are a good shout.

Sony has been a step ahead coming out so far so it wouldn't surprise me if they can out swinging with the release date and pricing. Plus, they go after the Microsoft conference so it'll be a good chance to upstage them. I think (and hope) that ND is done with Uncharted though.

I hope MS brings back dancers on stage though

Â