Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I'm baffled that some people are seemingly still writing players off because of where they're signed from.

Have Benteke and Sylla and Lowton and Westwood taught us nothing?

Good point but needs balancing when considering KEA, Vlaar, Bennett, Bowery, Dawkins have been a bit meh

Eh? Your not balancing though.

I'm baffled that some people are seemingly still writing players off because of where they're signed from.

Good point but needs balancing when considering KEA, Vlaar, Bennett, Bowery, Dawkins have been a bit meh

Of course.

But you're the one not being balanced with comments like:

Hopefully we don't sign him. Reports are truly average.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Eh? Your not balancing though.

I think CI has a point. We shouldn't blindly accept every transfer that Lambert goes in for. Just like any other manager, he has his failings in the transfer market and there are no guarantees that Tonev will be a success. For every Lowton, there has been a Bennet. Fortunately, the successes have been meteoric, while the less popular transfers have potential to go on and improve, all of whom were bought within a very sensible financial framework. When you buy young or inexperienced players for a low price you're taking a gamble on the fact that they could workout, but doing so with a financial package that will not cripple the club if things don't come to fruition.

Poeple are entitled to question the signing, there's no telling at this stage whether Tonev will be a Westwood or an El Ahmadi.

I'm just echoing the sentiments of other posters and from what I can gleen he can't even get a regular game at his home club in the polish league.

As for Lamberts signings , he is so far very hit and miss. 1 good, 1 bad, 1 good , 1 bad.

I think CI has a point. We shouldn't blindly accept every transfer that Lambert goes in for. 

Absolutely right.

But neither should we do the complete opposite.

We're of course entitled to an opinion on the signing, but people saying "Hopefully we don't sign him" based purely on the fact he comes from the polish league seems a bit mad considering the success we've had with other signings from lower leagues.

• Like 1

I kinda hope we aren't in for this guy. Other thjan the low price\wages he doesn't seem to be anything we don't already have. Its perhaps an indication of how far Aston Villa have fallen that so many are hoping we sign a guy who isn't even a first team regular within the polish league. Seems like £2.5m down the pan to me. I don't see this happening.

People were saying exactly the same when we got linked to Christian Benteke last summer.

With respect there is no comparison. Bentekke was the rising star of the Belguim national team - his current club Genk were very keen to hang onto him, a fee of £11m was mentioned at one stage. I think the only reservations that were expressed was if he could adapt to the premier league - most people on here were pretty excited.

Ive never seem him play - but his CV doesn't seem a patch on Bentekke's. If he comes in and has a similar impact to Bentekke, I will happily admit I was wrong.

I don't see us doing this deal in anycase.

I'm just echoing the sentiments of other posters and from what I can gleen he can't even get a regular game at his home club in the polish league.

As for Lamberts signings , he is so far very hit and miss. 1 good, 1 bad, 1 good , 1 bad.

He can't get a game but has played his last two games before leaving.

I kinda hope we aren't in for this guy. Other thjan the low price\wages he doesn't seem to be anything we don't already have. Its perhaps an indication of how far Aston Villa have fallen that so many are hoping we sign a guy who isn't even a first team regular within the polish league. Seems like £2.5m down the pan to me. I don't see this happening.

People were saying exactly the same when we got linked to Christian Benteke last summer.

With respect there is no comparison. Bentekke was the rising star of the Belguim national team - his current club Genk were very keen to hang onto him, a fee of £11m was mentioned at one stage. I think the only reservations that were expressed was if he could adapt to the premier league - most people on here were pretty excited.

Ive never seem him play - but his CV doesn't seem a patch on Bentekke's. If he comes in and has a similar impact to Bentekke, I will happily admit I was wrong.

I don't see us doing this deal in anycase.

Whose comparing him to Benteke? The comparisons to Lowton and Sylla are valid, who were both written off by many fans.

Love how people bring in Dawkins and Bowery into an argument, both bought for reserve nothing more and cost a pittance.

He looks impressive on youtube, but I can't see him being any better than N'Zogbia...(considering his cheap price tag)

He'll put in more effort than N'Zogbia thats for sure, plus I think N'Zogbia won't be leaving but Holman possibly will.

In fairness, you've never seen me play either and I can't imagine you'd be happy if I was lining up for Villa next year.

That said, we shouldn't be writing players off, questioning their ability is absolutely fine though.

In fairness, you've never seen me play either and I can't imagine you'd be happy if I was lining up for Villa next year.

That said, we shouldn't be writing players off, questioning their ability is absolutely fine though.

That's an extreme example.

Questioning ability is fine...if you've seen him play.

Saying he plays sometimes in a Polish league so we shouldn't sign him is just narrow minded

• Like 1

Saying he plays sometimes in a Polish league so we shouldn't sign him is just narrow minded

Not questioning his ability is narrow minded. You don't have to come to the conclusion that he's not good enough, but blindly assuming that a player will be a good signing is just as silly as writing him off. Ofcourse we should be debating how good he is, though that doesn't mean we have to come to any firm conclusion about his future. Quite clearly the majority of us haven't seen him play, but does that mean we shouldn't be discussing the merits of signing him? Obviously not.

• Like 2

I've never seen him play, I have no idea if he's good or not, so i cant make any judgements. But I'm excited to see him play and hopeful he'll be good as by nature I'm a fairly positive person and Lambert ain't been too shabby in the transfer market so far. He might not be good, but what use is imagining a negative at this point.

Edited by Kingfisher
  • Like 1

For once we are actually linked and looking to sign someone before the window has even opened. And people are still complaing as it would be late in the window and the only business we were looking to do :) FFS some of you really have to take step back and take a couple of big breaths.

He may turn out to be exceptional, ordinary or shit, but at least we are doing two things right. like most of you have been on for years about. Looking for talent outside Britain and looking to sign value for money.  Instedad of average over the hill PL-players with big egos and a massive paycheck, spending most of their time on the bench or worse.

• Like 1

The reports about him are pretty mixed.

If he comes in it's going to be a 'wait and see' job. Seems like this signing could go either way to me.

If the reports weren't mixed but only good Tonev wouldn't cost 2.5m but 15m and would be out of Villa's league.

People expecting him to have an impact similar to Benteke are wide off the mark, but he'd be a good squad addition playing the Zoggy/Holman role.

Popov is the one who could make a huge impact.

Not questioning his ability is narrow minded. You don't have to come to the conclusion that he's not good enough, but blindly assuming that a player will be a good signing is just as silly as writing him off. Ofcourse we should be debating how good he is, though that doesn't mean we have to come to any firm conclusion about his future. Quite clearly the majority of us haven't seen him play, but does that mean we shouldn't be discussing the merits of signing him? Obviously not.

I can't see anyone saying he WILL be a success, only that he looks to have skills on a few YouTube clips and that the manager has history of finding these players.

I do however see a few of the usual faces already predicting he'll fail. One even going as far as to say they hope we DON'T sign a player we may (or may not) want having NEVER seen him play.

All I'll say is, I wonder who passed his name on. Poland isn't too far from Germany...

Â