31 years ago today we won the European Cup

Farlz

I was privileged to be there too.

A day I will remember with pride all my life

...I think PL is building us in a similar to that team.

Edited by TRO

Yeah I was in Munich last year, but forgot to change the location. And packoman I am definitely a fan of the club, but I don't want to live in the past. My view on England's world cup win in 1966 is exactly the same. A huge achievement but when the commentators bring it up every month it is a bit silly. Can we avoid the 'I'm a bigger fan then you'' bollocks. 

And comparing the day of independance for a country, or a revoution or somethong of that nature to a football match is ridiculous. Get some perspective.

I am. But it was a little tongue in cheek. We're supporting a football club and we're celebrating the biggest day in our history. Well, maybe apart from the day we were founded. And as Drat pointed out, it's very much been significant for our future and even today.

It's in the past, lets forget about it. It's all getting a bit 1966 now.

Hmmn i notice your location is "Munich" Voinjama?..

I take it you didn't read my post above?

Actually  i didn't as i was writing my post when you posted it i guess  :rolleyes:

My post was made 15 minutes before yours...so that's a lie. I'm gonna delete my voinjama account and come back under a different name. You won't know it's me.

Gosh you really like being disrespectful to everybody don't you Voinjama... So you actually think i would bother to waste my time lying about your post?... How odd!...There is a good book you may like which might just help it's called "Attitude is Everything".. It tackles issues such as yours very well... I have no problem with you Voinjama it was you who came in to a thread about our finest ever moment & started saying we should pretend it never happened ....Remember?!

anyhow......Moving on :unsure:

Please don't patronize me. I think it is ridiculous of you to judge my character when you don't know me, have never met me, and have never seen me in real life. If I walked past you on the street, you wouldn't know i was Voinjama. There is nothing wrong with my attitude, I wouldn't of achieved what I have in life without a good attitude.

And I never said we should pretend it never happened, please find where I said that...I bet you won't be able to because I didn't say that.  Don't put words in my mouth. i have no problem with you either, I don't know you, but if you think my attitude is bad, put me on the block/ignore list that villatalk has, or refrain from debating with me on the forum again. >>>>>>

Unfortunately and annoyingly it does, although that was a lot more recent then the 82 cup win.

In some ways that 82 cup win held the club back. Anyway I'm out >>>>>>

Why?

Just reminds what a great player Gary shaw was.

Underrated in villa folklore IMO.

Gary Shaw had the finest touch I've seen from an English striker. Same age as Linekar but he was well ahead of him at that time. I was there at forest when he did his knee, effectively ending his career.

Unfortunately and annoyingly it does, although that was a lot more recent then the 82 cup win.

In some ways that 82 cup win held the club back. Anyway I'm out >>>>>>

Why?

He'll be saying that staying up this season has held us back next.

You don't half come out with some shit (no pun intended) on this site, mate.

But this may well top the lot.

• Like 1

Gary Shaw, great player, great first touch, great finisher & so,so skilful. Defenders used to kick lumps out of him but he never retaliated but would just simply pick himself up, dust himself down then get his own back by hitting the back of the net.

Shame injury put paid to such a promising career.

Him & Peter Withe combined superbly & were almost telepathic & with Morley on the wing, "Sid" pulling the strings in Midfield whilst also being driven on by Mortimer & the workhorse Des Bremner, this team was a joy to behold.

I still say "Jimmeh" is the best keeper we have ever had, though Spinky undoubtedly played his best ever game for us in this final. Evans & McNaught complimented each other & were rock solid. Kenny Swain, like Des Bremner was a very underated player but always put in a great effort at full back because he read the game so well. If you take away Spinkys great goalkeeping performance you will see just what a fantastic game Gary Williams played at Left Back too. This often goes unnoticed but watch & you will see.

As per usual the biased London & Manchester press never ever gave this team the credit it deserved. Whenever the Champions League Final is played I'm proud to know I saw Dennis lift that Cup......................Pure Magic!

• Like 1

I watched the game on the telly with my Dad, God rest his soul. He hired a colour telly especially for the game. We were both stunned, gobsacked and really proud when the final whistle blew and we realised we had beaten the mighty Bayern Munich to actually win the European cup.

• Like 1

I was there. Did the overnight rail trip from New Street to Dover and then on to the final by coach. Got to Rotterdam around 11.30 and we were in the bar about 15 minutes later. Memories of that goal going in, that clock taking so long to get to 90 minutes at the Bayern end and my mate saying the cup was "as big as a man's chest" when Sir Morty lifted it. We were all on cloud nine afterwards and things got better on the way back when the coach driver missed the last ferry out of Boulogne and we hit a bar that was just closing and asked the bar owner if we could have a swift one and he replied "of course you beat the Germans". 4 hours later we left the bar made the ferry and got the train back being applauded by commuters as we went towards London that morning like conquering heroes (back then everyone backed UK clubs in such games). Those memories live on for those of us who were lucky and old enough to have been there and as Villa fans we should be proud of our history and I hope our younger fans get to see the same at some point in the future.

• Like 1

"I still can't quite believe Nottingham Forest have won it twice. One wonders how their fans feel."

Proud of the glory years that Brian Clough & Peter Taylor brought to their football club I would suggest CarewsEyebrowDesigner and longing for their club to get back to where it was in the early 80s in much the same way as we are.

Edited by John

Some fantastic memories on here... thanks for sharing them guys  :)

I've heard it said from a couple of people that the Saunders Villa team of around '77, with the likes of Gidman, Little, Gray, Graydon, Cropley etc was the better team in terms of individual ability but never had the same level of team spirit or togetherness that the 81-82 team had? 

Yeah I was in Munich last year, but forgot to change the location. And packoman I am definitely a fan of the club, but I don't want to live in the past. My view on England's world cup win in 1966 is exactly the same. A huge achievement but when the commentators bring it up every month it is a bit silly. Can we avoid the 'I'm a bigger fan then you'' bollocks. 

And comparing the day of independance for a country, or a revoution or somethong of that nature to a football match is ridiculous. Get some perspective.

I am. But it was a little tongue in cheek. We're supporting a football club and we're celebrating the biggest day in our history. Well, maybe apart from the day we were founded. And as Drat pointed out, it's very much been significant for our future and even today.

Hmmn i notice your location is "Munich" Voinjama?..

I take it you didn't read my post above?

Actually  i didn't as i was writing my post when you posted it i guess  :rolleyes:

My post was made 15 minutes before yours...so that's a lie. I'm gonna delete my voinjama account and come back under a different name. You won't know it's me.

Gosh you really like being disrespectful to everybody don't you Voinjama... So you actually think i would bother to waste my time lying about your post?... How odd!...There is a good book you may like which might just help it's called "Attitude is Everything".. It tackles issues such as yours very well... I have no problem with you Voinjama it was you who came in to a thread about our finest ever moment & started saying we should pretend it never happened ....Remember?!

anyhow......Moving on :unsure:

Please don't patronize me. I think it is ridiculous of you to judge my character when you don't know me, have never met me, and have never seen me in real life. If I walked past you on the street, you wouldn't know i was Voinjama. There is nothing wrong with my attitude, I wouldn't of achieved what I have in life without a good attitude.

And I never said we should pretend it never happened, please find where I said that...I bet you won't be able to because I didn't say that.  Don't put words in my mouth. i have no problem with you either, I don't know you, but if you think my attitude is bad, put me on the block/ignore list that villatalk has, or refrain from debating with me on the forum again. >>>>>>

Well to accuse me of telling lie's on a public forum voinjama is always going to get a reaction from me & if you want to be pedantic about what you actually said then fine... you said

"" It's in the past, lets forget about it. It's all getting a bit 1966 now""

which to me is rather similar to saying  "lets pretend it never happened" but hey! i stand corrected, but surely you can see how that may be a little offensive to people? especially those who were there & enjoy the odd moment where we can enjoy reliving & sharing the events of that momentous day? Especially as the thread was actually exactly for that purpose.

As for saying i lied Voinjama well thats why i reacted like i did. I think you will find that when you start to write a reply on this site & something happens to delay you posting your reply, such as was the case in this instance, then it is likely that other posts will have already been posted in the meantime.... Hence my reply coming out after yours. So if someone accuses me of lying on a public forum like you did then your absolutely right i will start to question your character. To go throwing accusations like that is one thing but to do it on a public forum?! What you think i am not going to be offended by that?

Edited by danceoftheshamen

I've heard it said from a couple of people that the Saunders Villa team of around '77, with the likes of Gidman, Little, Gray, Graydon, Cropley etc was the better team in terms of individual ability but never had the same level of team spirit or togetherness that the 81-82 team had? 

That side also had 3 LC semi finals & 3 finals which took its toll.I'm loathe to chose between them as they are both legendary.

That side also had 3 LC semi finals & 3 finals which took its toll.I'm loathe to chose between them as they are both legendary.

The 77 side was more exciting but the 81-82 team was a better allround team. Des Bremner was a very underrated player. he did a lot of the donkey work in midfield. We talk about the kids now but Gary Shaw was 19/20 when we won the league and he scored 20 odd goals that season. Cowans I rate as our all time best player. He came back when Taylor was manager and was brilliant then. He could hit a 50 yard pass on the volley. If you watch the old clips he took freekicks with either foot. Totally two footed player. I don't even know what his better foot was. He would have been good in the modern game.

The 77 side was more exciting but the 81-82 team was a better allround team. Des Bremner was a very underrated player. he did a lot of the donkey work in midfield. We talk about the kids now but Gary Shaw was 19/20 when we won the league and he scored 20 odd goals that season. Cowans I rate as our all time best player. He came back when Taylor was manager and was brilliant then. He could hit a 50 yard pass on the volley. If you watch the old clips he took freekicks with either foot. Totally two footed player. I don't even know what his better foot was. He would have been good in the modern game.

Totally agree Butterfingers. Gordan Cowans was twice the player Glenn `Cockney` was. Two footed, great passer & tackler & wonderful delivery from a dead ball.

Also, the 77 Villa team was by far & away the most exciting Villa team I have ever seen. Spearheaded by Gray, Little & Deehan we were practically unstopable at home that season.

The weak link of that side was keeper John "Budgie" Burridge which became palpable away from home. I firmly believe that had it been possible for Ron Saunders to put Rimmer or a top class keeper in that team then we would have won the league & the European Cup even earlier still.

Â