31 years ago today we won the European Cup

Farlz

Some fantastic memories on here... thanks for sharing them guys  :)

I've heard it said from a couple of people that the Saunders Villa team of around '77, with the likes of Gidman, Little, Gray, Graydon, Cropley etc was the better team in terms of individual ability but never had the same level of team spirit or togetherness that the 81-82 team had? 

I would say Rimmer in Lieu of Burridge and it would have finished higher than 4th.... both great teams.

ps someone beat me to that comment, but didn't read it until after i posted.

Edited by TRO

Some fantastic memories on here... thanks for sharing them guys  :)

I've heard it said from a couple of people that the Saunders Villa team of around '77, with the likes of Gidman, Little, Gray, Graydon, Cropley etc was the better team in terms of individual ability but never had the same level of team spirit or togetherness that the 81-82 team had? 

I would say Rimmer in Lieu of Burridge and it would have finished higher than 4th.... both great teams.

ps someone beat me to that comment, but didn't read it until after i posted.

Yes possibly but I think the defence was a bit weak as well. Gidman was good going forward but not the best defender. Phillips was a converted midfield player and Saunders soon realised Nicholl wasn't quite up to it. 

How is it that only one our players who had just won the European Cup got selected by England for the 1982 World Cup?

It never particularly bothered me back then but despite having the most England caps in history, around that time (mid 70s on) not many of our players were picked. From the 82 team the likes of Swain, Mortimer, Shaw, Morley and Cowans should have been in with a chance but looking at the England squad then Mortimer was never going to oust Brooking.  Personally I think Swain was a better player than Mick Mills, but he player for Media favourites Ipswich and Swain was never going to get the place. Shaw was never going to displace Mariner - another Ipswich player. Cowans imo should have been a regular England player but was always overlooked tragically like Little before him (except for a cameo). Morley also imo would have done well. But England selections were very predictable and Ron Greenwood the England manager like many before and since was very conservative.

1 GK Ray Clemence              Tottenham Hotspur

2 DF Viv Anderson              Nottingham Forest

3 MD Trevor Brooking           West Ham United

4 DF Terry Butcher             Ipswich Town

5 MD Steve Coppell             Manchester United

6 DF Steve Foster              Brighton HA

7 FW Kevin Keegan              Southampton

8 FW Trevor Francis            Manchester City

9 MD Glenn Hoddle              Tottenham Hotspur

10 MD Terry McDermott           Liverpool

11 FW Paul Mariner              Ipswich Town

12 DF Mick Mills                Ipswich Town

13 GK Joe Corrigan              Manchester City

14 DF Phil Neal                 Liverpool

15 MD Graham Rix                Arsenal

16 MD Bryan Robson              Manchester United

17 DF Kenny Sansom              Arsenal

18 DF Phil Thompson             Liverpool

19 MD Ray Wilkins               Manchester United

20 FW Peter Withe               Aston Villa

21 FW Tony Woodcock             1.FC Cologne (GER)

22 GK Peter Shilton             Nottingham Forest

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

I am sure it bothered our players Mike and I think we still hold the record for the number for England players provided if not now the number of caps.

I just cannot understand why Morty did not get at least one game in the England midfield although I think Robson, McDermott and Wilkins rather than Brooking (whose place was never in doubt with the West Ham link) kept him out and Shaw for me was not in competition with Mariner for a shirt that was more of a Withe vs Mariner thing with Woodcock, Francis & Keegan standing in Shaw's way.

For me but for injury he would have become a regular in the England squad and then the team itself. Mills was a different type of full back to Swain and suited the conservative Greenwood although I think Clough may have gone for our man and Shaw earlier than the then England manager would have and played both Cowans and Morley more often. Off topic I see shades of Greenwood/Clough in the Roy/Harry England situation now.

Edited by blandy

jesus, that video made me angry about ellis all over again! we really did miss the boat big time with saunders leaving and it was all deadly's fault the clearing in the woods.

Ellis was not at the club when we won the League or the European Cup and therefore not there when Saunders resigned.

Â