Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Jovetic is apparently on his way to london for contract talks. Can see this meaning no Benteke (Especially if the rumours are true that he's an arsenal fan). Getting more and more confident he'll be here next season. However as some guy said on twitter... Higuain and Benteke would cost the same amount of money and they're better players. Arsenal have missed out a trick there IMO...

24.5m...jesus, that is a massive sum of money.

Yeah surprised Arsenal are splashing the cash, few more mil and they probably could have tried to persuade Benteke, In fact i heard Higuain was avaible for 24 :s

This is how I would like to see the team in August and the positions highlighted strengthened. 

717100_Aston_Villa.jpg

So CB, LB and CAM. 3 players we need to improve the squad instantly. Aleksandar Dragović (Basel) would be my first preference and would show our intent to strengthen our team. I have no idea who the LB can be, neither I care if he's unknown or young etc. As long as he's an improvemnt over Bennet - I'll take him

At CAM I don't have any preference, but I'd love if you tried to go for Georginio  Wijnaldum (PSV). Would be great signing.

So there' 3 transfers that'd I'd want straight into the team. I would also like 3 other signings. 2 from lower English leagues, young players. Plus 1 type of 'Betneke' signing, quite unknown but with huge potential.

The English players from the news so far, I'd take a punt of Luke Murphy ( Crewe ) and Dwight Gayle (Peterborough United). As for the European player, let Lambert do his magic  ;)

As first sign of things to come though priority is giving Benteke and Weimann new contracts.

Plus those signings and our current squad ( minus the obvious leavers ) we would have  backup for almost I think every position, which would be a good thing.

Edited by Alakagom

Jovetic is apparently on his way to london for contract talks. Can see this meaning no Benteke (Especially if the rumours are true that he's an arsenal fan). Getting more and more confident he'll be here next season. However as some guy said on twitter... Higuain and Benteke would cost the same amount of money and they're better players. Arsenal have missed out a trick there IMO...

Yeah surprised Arsenal are splashing the cash, few more mil and they probably could have tried to persuade Benteke, In fact i heard Higuain was avaible for 24 :s

Higuain I could maybe see an argument for, but there is no way in hell Benteke is better than Jovetić.  :huh:

Jovetic is quality. Surprised more teams arent in for him.

Higuain I could maybe see an argument for, but there is no way in hell Benteke is better than Jovetić.  :huh:

I think there is definitely a valid argument that Benteke is better! If i were Arsenal i would pick Benteke without a doubt, they need a strong focal point to the team (which Giroud is clearly not up too) they already have players who can slot in behind the striker and chance games like carzorla and to a lesser extent Rosicky! For me, signing Jovetic has no effect on whether they would also be in for Benteke. They are impossible to compare!! It's like arguing who's better between Lowton and Weimann!

I think there is definitely a valid argument that Benteke is better! If i were Arsenal i would pick Benteke without a doubt, they need a strong focal point to the team (which Giroud is clearly not up too) they already have players who can slot in behind the striker and chance games like carzorla and to a lesser extent Rosicky! For me, signing Jovetic has no effect on whether they would also be in for Benteke. They are impossible to compare!! It's like arguing who's better between Lowton and Weimann!

Agreed with all that mate up until the last bit. They both play up top even if Jovetic has been moved a bit more out wide. I honestly think for Arsenal they need someone like Benteke.

Edited by kevangrealish

Agreed with all that mate up until the last bit. They both play up top even if Jovetic has been moved a bit more out wide. I honestly think for Arsenal they need someone like Benteke.

I understand what you mean but it's a very different type of up top, i would argue that Weimann and Agbonlahor whilst being forwards haven't exactly been strikers as such this season. I think Arsenal would have been better going for Isco from Malaga if they're going for that sort of player anyway! He's unreal, going to be as good as Mata i believe and they need money so would probably be cheaper than Jovetic!! They got Cazorla £16m after all

This is how I would like to see the team in August and the positions highlighted strengthened. 

717100_Aston_Villa.jpg

So CB, LB and CAM. 3 players we need to improve the squad instantly. Aleksandar Dragović (Basel) would be my first preference and would show our intent to strengthen our team. I have no idea who the LB can be, neither I care if he's unknown or young etc. As long as he's an improvemnt over Bennet - I'll take him

At CAM I don't have any preference, but I'd love if you tried to go for Georginio  Wijnaldum (PSV). Would be great signing.

So there' 3 transfers that'd I'd want straight into the team. I would also like 3 other signings. 2 from lower English leagues, young players. Plus 1 type of 'Betneke' signing, quite unknown but with huge potential.

The English players from the news so far, I'd take a punt of Luke Murphy ( Crewe ) and Dwight Gayle (Peterborough United). As for the European player, let Lambert do his magic  ;)

As first sign of things to come though priority is giving Benteke and Weimann new contracts.

Plus those signings and our current squad ( minus the obvious leavers ) we would have  backup for almost I think every position, which would be a good thing.

i agree with this, although id like to see...

LB, either move Clark there or Martin Olsson

CB, Abdoulaye Ba or Robert Huth

AM, Adel Taarabt or Jonathan De Guzman

subs

Gk, Boaz Myhill or Wayne Hennessey

CB, ?

CF, Adam Le Fondre or Alfreo Finnbogason

717100_Aston_Villa.jpg

subs

CB, ?

Get out! just get out!

• Like 2

I think there is definitely a valid argument that Benteke is better!

Only if you consider one outstanding debut season in the Premier League comparable to 3 seasons of top performances across different roles plus being one of the best strikers in a Champion's League campaign.  And then I'd say you were nucking futs.  :P

I think a more sensible argument is Benteke could be better than Jovetic.  Could.  But he needs to do it again next season, and then beyond.  Marcus Stewart bagged 19 goals in his debut PL season, for instance.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

717100_Aston_Villa.jpg

subs

CB, ?

Myhill, Le Fondre, Huth, Taarabt. All overrated, overpaid or over the hill. Would take none of them at the club.

Olsson would be alright, but I can see blackburn still wanting over the odds for him and there's gotta be a reason he's still languishing at blackburn.

De Guzman is one of swansea's main men, so that wouldn't happen for any sort of a reasonable price. 

Can't speak about Finnbogason or Ba.

I just can't see lambert signing anyone over the age of 28/29, and that's how it should be.

I think there is definitely a valid argument that Benteke is better!

Only if you consider one outstanding debut season in the Premier League comparable to 3 seasons of top performances across different roles plus being one of the best strikers in a Champion's League campaign.  And then I'd say you were nucking futs.  :P

I think a more sensible argument is Benteke could be better than Jovetic.  Could.  But he needs to do it again next season, and then beyond.  Marcus Stewart bagged 19 goals in his debut PL season, for instance.

With respect Gareth, you can't talk about sensible arguments and then compare Benteke to Marcus Stewart  :)

• Like 1

That's the point though.  You can't compare Benteke to Stewart no more than you can to Jovetic, as we already know what both of the latter were/are capable of over the course of time.  Though it's likely given what we've seen that Benteke won't be a flash in the pan, it's by no means an absolute God-given certainty.   A whole myriad of shit could happen between now and the end of next season, as much as do I hope we can come back then and legimatally place Benteke in that same bracket of player.

717100_Aston_Villa.jpg

subs

CB, ?

Get out! just get out!

Ideally it's a resounding no to all of those suggestions from AndyBM. Taarabt is too temperamental and with the exception of De Guzman I think we can do better than the rest of them.

Edited by Robbie09

When does the window open?

Not really the weather for it right now......

I know, I know, that was bad.

It is open right NOW.

I think players can be officially signed from 1st July although deals can be agreed in principle before that date.

717100_Aston_Villa.jpg

subs

CB, ?

Get out! just get out!

Ideally it's a resounding no to all of those suggestions from AndyBM. Taarabt is too temperamental and with the exception of De Guzman I think we can do better than the rest of them.

Taarabt, Myhill and Hennessey, still out celebrating Villa's survival, Taarabt is just another Ireland, arrogant and can't be arsed and if Guzan is out injured would you honestly want either of Myhill and Hennessey in between the sticks, I certainly wouldn't.