Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Aside from £50m Benteke, the squad has a lot of young, improving players, who could be worth over £20 million each in a few years, when they can be sold to sit on the bench with a high squad number at one of the Champions League clubs. Lowton, Westwood, Delph, Weimann, Okore, Clark, Baker, Luna, Guzan... basically the entire team.

On whom, exactly, do you splash that £10m? Not on a ready-made player. We don't buy those. We're looking for young and hungry. My guess is any player young and hungry who is worth over £5m is either already in the academy of a Champions or Europa League club or will be sold to a Champions or Europa League club.

The reason we spent £8m on a young and hungry Benteke  was because he's a striker, and their cost is always skewed higher. We got him because  Champions and Europa League clubs were looking at young and hungry in a much higher price bracket. Chelsea spent £18m on 18-year-old Lukaku and £35 million on 21-year-old Hazard. An £8m rated 21-year-old is not even on their radar.

• Like 3

Aside from £50m Benteke, the squad has a lot of young, improving players, who could be worth over £20 million each in a few years, when they can be sold to sit on the bench with a high squad number at one of the Champions League clubs. Lowton, Westwood, Delph, Weimann, Okore, Clark, Baker, Luna, Guzan... basically the entire team.

On whom, exactly, do you splash that £10m? Not on a ready-made player. We don't buy those. We're looking for young and hungry. My guess is any player young and hungry who is worth over £5m is either already in the academy of a Champions or Europa League club or will be sold to a Champions or Europa League club.

The reason we spent £8m on a young and hungry Benteke  was because he's a striker, and their cost is always skewed higher. We got him because  Champions and Europa League clubs were looking at young and hungry in a much higher price bracket. Chelsea spent £18m on 18-year-old Lukaku and £35 million on 21-year-old Hazard. An £8m rated 21-year-old is not even on their radar.

THIS! The Attacking Mid we will probably get is someone like Lestienne, Roberto Firmino, Henriksen (az), Florian Thauvin, Zakaria Labyad, Dennis Praet (VERY expensive), Alex Merkel,  Will Hughes (6m fee apparently) and Sergio Canales....

"An £8m rated 21-year-old is not even on their radar."

exactly, that's who we'd be after :)

i'd say £30m-£35m Benteke and £10m-£15m potentially in a couple of years the rest. Which puts us on firm footing for the future. 

Anyway, my point was that perhaps we'd have seen that money spent on whoever there is in that price range if Given and Ireland were no longer on the books.

Chelsea spent £18m on 18-year-old Lukaku and £35 million on 21-year-old Hazard. An £8m rated 21-year-old is not even on their radar.

They spent £8m on 20 year old Dutch international Marco van Ginkel this summer. Kevin De Bruyne was a similar price a couple of years ago, as was Lucas Piazon. Clubs like that do look at higher price brackets but not exclusively.

Chelsea spent £18m on 18-year-old Lukaku and £35 million on 21-year-old Hazard. An £8m rated 21-year-old is not even on their radar.

They spent £8m on 20 year old Dutch international Marco van Ginkel this summer. Kevin De Bruyne was a similar price a couple of years ago, as was Lucas Piazon. Clubs like that do look at higher price brackets but not exclusively.

Those are high prices for young and hungry (unproven) midfielders. The most we've spent on a midfielder and defender is £4m (El Ahmadi and Okore). £8m is out of our price range for a young and hungry midfielder. Any midfielder worth that amount will be going to a Champions or Europa League club.

Prices for forwards are skewed for all clubs so the rules are different there. We won't spend on a young and hungry midfielder or defender what we would spend on a forward and nor will a Champions League club spend more on any other position.

THIS! The Attacking Mid we will probably get is someone like Lestienne, Roberto Firmino, Henriksen (az), Florian Thauvin, Zakaria Labyad, Dennis Praet (VERY expensive), Alex Merkel,  Will Hughes (6m fee apparently) and Sergio Canales....

and won't cost more than £5m.

and won't cost more than £5m.

Those players are probably in the same tier as Kiyotake, problem being... whos in the next tier below.....? Then we may have a pool who we can guess at...

I thought we put an end to what we spent on Benteke? It was between £5m and £5.5m or so.

If Lambert can pull off something similar for an attacking midfielder then so be it!

I thought it was around the £7.8m mark.

I thought we put an end to what we spent on Benteke? It was between £5m and £5.5m or so.

If Lambert can pull off something similar for an attacking midfielder then so be it!

I thought it was around the £7.8m mark.

The press were off with pretty much all of our transfer fees last Summer.

Lowton cost less than £1m initially but it was reported that he cost us around £3m.

We aren't going to sign an attacking midfielder.

Then I fail to see where we need to strengthen?

We are so desperate for creativity I will be shocked if we sign someone who isn't an creative attacking midfielder, as that's the only position I feel that we have no one. 

Edited by PieFacE