Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

im sure i posted the following last night but i cant find it or even sure if i did...

its not just attack we need to strengthen before the window closes, i do now agree with the consensus that a creative midfielder is needed, its not likely we will see that from tonev, bacuna, gardner or carruthers yet this season, but we may see it next season

last season our weakest part of defense was the left half, with dunne injured, baker, clark and bennett all raw, but i still think we need another centre back if anything for cover, theres no solid back up RB, but many jack of all trades as back up in herd, bacuna, okore and donacien

2 players for the remainder of this window will see us through to january, again then depending where we are in the league, we can reevaluate, 1 centre back and 1 attacking midfielder

• Like 1

i disagree, the odds must be pretty much in favour of at least one of bacuna, tonev, gardner or helenius proving themselves to be good players going forward for us. no guarantee that buying an AM will get a better result in this team, coudl come in and fail even if he costs 10m. 

bacuna, herd, okore and donacien can all put in a shift at right back so i wouldn't say that's a priority either, we have 4 centre backs for 2 positions, another woudl only make sense if we had a long term injury to one of them or wanted to play 3 at the back.

i think we'll be fine without any more signings but you could make a case for a player that improves us in any position on the pitch. that would be nice but I won't be upset if we don't sign anyone.

I'd like us to sign an AM, and I hope it's being considered - but it's important we don't do a panic buy of some overrated player. 12 million for Kiyo is okay, 6 million for Fischer is okay - but don't go out and spend 20 million on some overrated idiot from City or Chelsea - Lambert has to stick to his philosophy, and make sure that the board keeps to that too.

I don't think we'll be spending 20m on anyone for a loooooooooong time.

I mentioned in the Other Football transfer thread, Sigurdsson might be worth investigation if Spurs keep buying players to fill the Bayul hole this week. He'll surely be pushed out of the middle by Paulinho and Dembele in the majority of games (those in which the opposition isn't expected to go full Liverpool and park it), then there's Chadli, Lennon, Holtby to compete for the more attacking and wide roles plus Townsend and Carroll who seem to be rated (if they don't go out on loan), doubleplus any of the other inevitable signings to come. 23, technically homegrown, I believe, can take a set piece, can pass, used to the league so could slot straight in, *might* not be terribly expensive in a few days.

Out of all the players we have been linked with as a no 10 kind of player, i have to say i think the player who looks the best footballer is Lestienne.If he is available at £10m, then i think he is the one i would go for.

It appears Will Hughes has a £15m price tag on him, not for me at that price tbh.

There are many players out there that are crying out to play in the premier league. Just look at the kind of players the likes of Southampton and Sunderland have signed. I also don't think wages is an issue because European players are on a lot less to start with.

This issue IMO is transfer fees. is the club prepared to spend 10-15m on 1 player?

Diego from Wolfsburg anyone?

Seems to have been around for ages but still only 28 (although that might still be too old for what Lambert wants). Think he's in the last year of his contract there.

Was excellent at Weder Bremen, less so at Juventus and been in and out at Wolfsburg (Felix Magarth didn't like him very much) but had a very good year on loan at Atletico Madrid.

No idea what his weekly wage is but can't be more than Ireland. He's a number 10 anyway.

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/50850_diego_happy_to_stay_at_wolfsburg.html

Edited by VillaChris

I know I should let it go and we'll never know. But I wonder where we would be now had all that money we spent a few years back had been done by a manager with a good scout system that shopped abroad.

I suppose we could have done a QPR.

I believe VFL Wolfsburg are owned by Volkswagen, so are not exactly short of cash.

That explains that.

This might sound a little crackers but apart from cover at RB. CM is where we need to strengthen and if there are no further signings I wouldn't mind seeing delph floating behind Benteke when going forward. The energy and eagerness he is showing to get on the ball and make things happen at the moment, plus he's always looking to get a shot off.

I'm full aware that playing the left side of the midfield 3 he gives balance but I think we could get a shit load more out of him in a more AM role.