Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

fwiw mcnulty got us finishing on 9th!

Why the exclamation mark? That's the bare minimum for a club like Aston Villa after three "transition seasons", especially with the best striker in the league world.

the problem is that each of those transition seasons were self contained with different managers, each one's philosophy at odds with the one that followed. we've got another transition season this year, but it should be the last

• Like 1

fwiw mcnulty got us finishing on 9th!

Why the exclamation mark? That's the bare minimum for a club like Aston Villa after three "transition seasons", especially with the best striker in the league world.

the problem is that each of those transition seasons were self contained with different managers, each one's philosophy at odds with the one that followed. we've got another transition season this year, but it should be the last

I'll be over the moon if we finish 9th, personally I think anything above 13th would represent solid progress. You have to remember that we have a team full of youngsters, with yet more inexperience added again this summer. It should be a case of gradual, but continual improvement, so that by the time these players reach 27/28 they're at the top of their game competing in the top 6.

• Like 1

I was in the process of writing a long reply, but I did enough pointless arguing in the DB thread yesterday and annoyed enough people. We'll agree to disagree. :D

Stefan - I'm so annoyed that you have not written a long reply. :P

Also, I disagree that we will agree to disagree. :P

I suppose it's pointless arguing now isn't it? ;)

Yeah for once we are in full agreement and i just feel with a little more investment in the right areas we could be the surprise package this season a la Swansea.

Can't wait for the season to start though and its important that everyone recognises that due to our fixture list we might be near the bottom again after the first few games.

I reserve my right though that if we are near the bottom again after twelve games that i can ask for Lambert to be sacked and replaced by Redknapp. :P  

LOL, I've a feeling we will be down there after the first few games but I'll be joining you in criticism if we are struggling at Xmas.

I think our tough opening 3 fixtures might be a blessing in disguise because any midfield or defensive weakness will be fully exposed. After such a brutal first hand observation & assessment PL will then have just over a week of the transfer window left to take remedial action.

I'm sure he will then wisely invest whatever is left in the kitty for this purpose.

My prediction - two more players to arrive before this window closes.

Edited by villa-revolution

I think our tough opening 3 fixtures might be a blessing in disguise because any midfield or defensive weakness will be fully exposed. After such a brutal first hand observation & assessment PL will then have just over a week of the transfer window left to take remedial action.

before

I'm sure he will then wisely invest whatever is left in the kitty for this purpose.

Nah. If things like that affected the board/Lambert we'd have strengthened last January.

before

I like your optimism, but following our hat-trick of rapes during Christmas 2013, it took some time for the team to re-find it's confidence.

• Like 1

I was in the process of writing a long reply, but I did enough pointless arguing in the DB thread yesterday and annoyed enough people. We'll agree to disagree. :D

Can't say it was pointles debating as you did come up with a very good point concerning 24m million Bent in the face of some very good rebuttles and no you didn't annoy anyone.

Can't say it was pointles debating as you did come up with a very good point concerning 24m million Bent in the face of some very good rebuttles and no you didn't annoy anyone.

Fair enough Morph  :cheers:

before

I like your optimism, but following our hat-trick of rapes during Christmas 2013, it took some time for the team to re-find it's confidence.

That's not really a fair comparison. The team is a lot more settled than it was back then, and I doubt we'll get smashed 8-0 by Chelsea again (which you could argue was what caused that slump in the first place).

before

Nah. If things like that affected the board/Lambert we'd have strengthened last January.

But the summer window is clearly the time to be strengthening rather than the reviled January window. 

Top 8 in my opinion is easily a realistic target, keep Benteke fit and sign another CB and ACM I actually think we could challenge Everton for that 7th spot. Norwich, Swansea and Baggies have all strengthened, so could be an interesting battle for the top 8. My prediction is (as it stands) Everton, Villa, Swansea, Norwich.

We're great going forward. That is our strength as long as we can keep the big man fit.

I am however still concerned about the spine of our team in reference through our defence to midfield which i still think has an overall weakness in strength in the air and lacking a pit bull in midfield. Okore might be the one to take more responsibility for crosses coming into our box and Sylla might actually grow some more to be that pit bull?

Therefore rather than requiring an AM i still feel we might need to get a better balance the the areas suggested above but i don't think that will happen.

With that in mind i still think we'll struggle but not to the extent of last year and will probably finish around mid table but i'd like the option to review that depending on whether we bring a few more in before the window closes.

I agree with your assessment. For me it's not an issue that one or two new players will solve - we will need to keep building and gradually upgrade players as we go. It's a journey

Next year I see us again playing mainly 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3.

The defence is what it is and we have got to hope that Okore makes a difference and that Vlaar benefits from having a hopefully strong CB partner (I'm worried that the tough opening fixtures will hinder Okore's bedding in period though). Luna may make a difference he too

Up front we look strong with Gabby, Benteke and Weimann supported by Helenius, Tonev, Bacuna plus some good young talent emerging Bowery, Drennan, Grealish, Burke

It is in midfield that we could still struggle - Delph, Westwood, Sylla are all improving players but might not be enough? Maybe Gardner can emerge into the strong defensive MF we need but we could really do with a better version of Zog who can unlock defences when required. I'd welcome Milner back with open arms

A mid-table finish 10-12th would do me and then a few upgrades next close season

It would be nice to win a bit of silverware sometime though wouldn't it

I agree. Very realistic and honest view of things. Our attack is strong, they know the drill. The majority of midfield on the other hand is new and the others there have one PROPER full season under their belts in the prem. Norwich, Swansea and Fulham look to have strengthened and improved a lot and theyre the real competition for us, with squads that are just as good - dare i say our attack is better (i think it is)? I think the mid table teams have stronger midfields on paper (considering standout players) but we havent seen what our newly revitalised squad can do yet! Our strength is the attack and the hunger of the squad as a whole which is great thing to have - the positive, 110% attitude that seems to be round the team now will only make them improve throughout the season in my opinion. I'll admit im a little nervous with the new and relatively unseen talent in the squad but i think we'll see that pretty quickly. 10-12th finish isnt too optimistic at all in my opinion but its going to be very tight for those middle spots. Sunderland and newcastle could go either way in my opinion. Last season there were only 7 points separating 9th from 17th. 

Edited by tomh621

Our strikeforce is arguably the best outside the top 4. Unfortunately the rest of the squad isn't at that level.

agreed, dont think theres any team close really..

we need a midfield version of tekkers! im actually a bit split on how to feel about the upcoming season. as some say the midfield have gelled and they now have some experience etc. same with the defence so we should be a bit better then last season, but is it enough? a injury or two and it can start to look really bleak, and if some of the new players either cant cope/make the adjustment to the PL were even deeper in it. I even think our attacking side can go to shits if benteke gets injured.  Cant remember who it was that compared us to the swedish national team, but it was a pretty good comparison, if we lose our zlatan were ****, i dont like relying on one to a couple good players. 

on the otherhand, if everyone settles in nicely, lowton, westwood, sylla and the new kids improve in the same rate as last season we could be a bit of a surprise this year although i think anything beyond 10th place is a bit to much to ask for.

i think the first three games can be quite decisive, if they go badly and we dont bounce back and give newcastle / norwich a run for their money their confidence can get shot, which i think is a bigger risk happening with young players.

**** it im going to be optimistic, i got a good feeling about lambert and their seems to be a good spirit surrounding the team, luna was going nuts during the game against malaga, jumping and cheering like a proper nutter :D in anycase, i think we got a solid team and its deffinetly looking better than it has over the last couple of years UTV and all that .

Top 8 in my opinion is easily a realistic target, keep Benteke fit and sign another CB and ACM I actually think we could challenge Everton for that 7th spot. Norwich, Swansea and Baggies have all strengthened, so could be an interesting battle for the top 8. My prediction is (as it stands) Everton, Villa, Swansea, Norwich.

You're forgetting Southampton who I think will be this season's dark horses. I also think Everton will have a relatively poor season. Don't see them being anywhere near 7th.