Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

he was injured the whole last season due to some back chicken... when he got better he got some other minor injuries. in otherwords, he hasnt touched a ball for a good year. think hes back in the gym now atleast!.

might still be worth a go tho as you say, think sunderland was interested aswell?

He isn't going anywhere imo.

I was watching some coverage on Pellegrini's first day and he met Guidetti and said to him "I asked about you (during his time at Malaga)" for a transfer/loan Guidetti said "I know I wasn't ready plus I had injuries" Pellegrini was pretty keen to hear more and seemed pretty happy with him, will be very surprised if he moves this summer to be honest.

If Mancini was still in charge it would be different.

I think we go down if Benteke goes our signings are looking very mediocre compared to what the clubs around us are buying with their new sky money.

Sadly I agree with you at the moment. However, I trust Lambert to sign the quality number 10, and replacement for Benteke, that will hopefully make this season better than the last one.

I think we go down if Benteke goes our signings are looking very mediocre compared to what the clubs around us are buying with their new sky money.

Agreed, it feels like we've made one good step forward with our signings, but so has everyone else! I think it could be very tight next season, not predicting another relegation battle but we might find it hard to advance very far against other teams around us who have also strengthened.

• Like 1

As it stands assuming Benteke does one i'd say we are short and could only see another struggle this season sadly. You can't lose 44% of our goal scoring threat & expect to not be worse off in that department next season.  Only hope is we concede far less to compensate. I don't think it matters who we sign as a replacement either as i cannot see them replicating Benteke's contribution

Edited by danceoftheshamen

If we do sell Benteke for £25m+, there's at least the possibility that we'll end up with a stronger squad of players than we would have had if he stayed. If can sign a striker who can get us ~15 league goals, an attacking midfielder, a big brute of a holding midfielder and a spare right-back I'd be delighted with our business.

Look at Dortmund. Suffered a huge blow by losing Götze, but with the €38m they've brought in Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan and Sokratis.

Edited by adz.villa
  • Like 1

Yes credit to Lambert for Benteke but the chances of him finding another player of that caliber on the cheap are very remote indeed, like Wenger has never found a new Henry. 

It seems we are the only club pursuing with auesteriorary whereas everyone else (even the shit clubs) are spending on proven quality like nobodies business.

• Like 2

Afreo is 24, Luc is 20, both emerging talents in Holland - who have had one or two seasons at the top level, very much Lambert style signings and already have international experience at u21 level with Afreo having played as a senior international.

sign em both!

• Like 1

sounds like Castaignos has had more high profile interest although he did get in hot water for spitting at Inter Milan!

Internazionale (2011-2012)[edit]

After rampant speculation during the January transfer window linking Castaignos with Italian giants Inter,[11] On 4 March 2011, Feyenoord announced that they had agreed to terms withInternazionale, selling Castaignos for a fee believed to be around €3 Million upon the completions of the 2010–2011 season.[12]

He featured throughout preseason, most notably scoring the opening goal in a friendly against Celtic on 30 July 2011.[13] He made his competitive debut for Inter in a Supercoppa Italiana, coming on for Joel Obi in a 2–1 loss against Milan, where he played in front of 70,000 people at Beijing National Stadium, Beijing China PR.

He made his full league debut in a 3–1 loss against Novara. Castaignos scored his first goal in Serie A in an away match to Siena on 27 November 2011, latching on to Thiago Motta’s through ball before firing low past Brkić, which proved to be the gamewinner.[14]

On 17 February 2012 in a 3–0 loss against Bologna, Castaignos was involved in alteration with Andrea Raggi after Castaignos spat on Raggi in the 85th minutes. After Serie A officials reviewed footage of the incident, he was subsequently banned for three matches.[15] His actions caused Inter to immediately move him into a reserve role, scoring twice in three appearances for the reserve squad. In April 2012, Castaignos suffered an hamstring injury, missing out for the rest of the season during a match against Calcio Padova.[16]

At the end of the season, Castaignos announced his intention to leave Inter in favor of a 'big club'.[17] Castaignos was linked with Liverpool.[18] Liverpool tried and failed to sign him in the January transfer window.[19] Tottenham Hotspur also displayed interest,[20] as well as West Ham United,[21] Everton,[22] and even including his former club Feyernoord.[23]

FC Twente (2012-Present)[edit]

On 28 July 2012, Castaignos made his return to the Dutch Eredivisie when FC Twente agreed to terms with Inter Milan for 6 million euros.[24][25] Castaignos was seen as the replacement for the former Twente striker Luuk de Jong, who had been sold to Borussia Monchengladbach. On 12 August 2012, he made his debut, coming on for Dmitri Bulykin in the second half, in a 4–1 win over Groningen. On 26 August 2012, he scored his first goal and set up a goal for Dmitri Bulykin in a 3–1 win over NEC Nijmegen.

I think we go down if Benteke goes our signings are looking very mediocre compared to what the clubs around us are buying with their new sky money.

Last season people were saying the same thing by referencing QPR's transfer dealings compared to our own. I know it wasn't the best season but it could have been worse, we could have been QPR. We're at least bringing a new generation through...so it's no wonder they're not all household names yet. Like Benteke last year. 

I think we go down if Benteke goes our signings are looking very mediocre compared to what the clubs around us are buying with their new sky money.

Last season people were saying the same thing by referencing QPR's transfer dealings compared to our own. I know it wasn't the best season but it could have been worse, we could have been QPR. We're at least bringing a new generation through...so it's no wonder they're not all household names yet. Like Benteke last year. 

Exactly.

Think it's absolutely ridiculous people predicting we'll go down if Benteke's sold before Lambert's even had the chance to get a replacement in. Also, I would've thought that by now people would stop judging new signings based purely on the fact that they aren't "names". People were trash talking our signings last season and most of them were good, some very good.