Stewart Downing

Butterfingers

Stewart Downing will always be seen as someone who was looked after by the club - who was rehabilitated, both physically; arriving with a broken foot and in terms of his career which was revitalised here. He then showed a complete lack of gratitude in getting out at the first opportunity. There are players who get unfairly treated at Villa Park - Gareth Barry for example, who gave us years of service and there are players who get exactly what they deserve - Stewart Downing is one of those. 

We're only booing him while Liverpool's fans are on a break.

Can the people who persist in booing this bloke please stop it.

He was prepared to stay another season but was told he was going to be sold.

The reason for this is that Lerner wanted to cash in.Downing was genuinely gratefull for the opportunity given to him by Villa and was prepared to give us another season.

Save the boos for the real person who is not committed to our club ie Lerner-Booing Downing only motivates him.

Hi Stewart.

I have not once seen him being motivated by the booing, he isnt Ronaldo. he wasnt even that good yesterday

photo_of_carroll_and_downing_holding_liv

_60285145_kennydalglishstill.jpg

Well I think that's bollocks. Doesn't look fake to me at all. It would be an awesome photoshop job if it is fake and who would really put that time and effort in showing a picture of Downing holding a Liverpool scarf? Downing was probably too pissed to remember the photo was taken... ;)

Stewart Downing will always be seen as someone who was looked after by the club - who was rehabilitated, both physically; arriving with a broken foot and in terms of his career which was revitalised here. He then showed a complete lack of gratitude in getting out at the first opportunity. There are players who get unfairly treated at Villa Park - Gareth Barry for example, who gave us years of service and there are players who get exactly what they deserve - Stewart Downing is one of those. 

We're only booing him while Liverpool's fans are on a break.

Garath Barry is booed because he claimed he wanted to sign for Liverpool because they were playing CL football at the time.A year later when he moved,he snubbed Liverpool & their CL football to sign for the club that offered him the most money.Thats why Gareth Barry gets booed you crank

Stewart Downing was aware of all the things you mention-That is why he pledged he was going to stay with us for the following season.Do you really in your wildest dreams think he would publicly say this & then leave a month later???? Come on-Even taking into account how gullible most on here are,that is a rather far fetched story.

Stewart Downing was told that he was going to be sold-He was replaced by N'Zogbia who came on lower wages & the balance of the transfer fee went straight into Lerners back pocket

No, what happend was he said he would stay even if we got relegated, went off on international duty, had his head turned by his agent then stated he wanted to leave.

He wasnt told he was being sold against his wishes, he handed in a transfet request after we turned down £12 & £15milliob pound offers. As for the "lerners pocketed the balance" you clearly havent seen our accounts which prove quite the opposite.

I don't understand how anyone could be motivated enough to make a thread like this, let alone continue to argue such point.

Really, who cares if Downing got booed? Only one person apparently.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

No, what happend was he said he would stay even if we got relegated, went off on international duty, had his head turned by his agent then stated he wanted to leave.

He wasnt told he was being sold against his wishes, he handed in a transfet request after we turned down £12 & £15milliob pound offers. As for the "lerners pocketed the balance" you clearly havent seen our accounts which prove quite the opposite.

Lerners pulled the plug my friend-He gambled & lost and now he wants his money back.We  pay less in wages than teams like Stoke now & our league position reflects it.

I love the old "head turned on international duty" chestnut-Anyone would think we still in the mid 1980's LOL-I think you'll find tapping up is a tad more sophisticated in this day & age

Interesting that you never contested the point about him handing in a transfer request which shoots down your nongument into pieces.

Of course it doesn't-He was told he was going,he would have obviously been delighted to swap Villa for Liverpool,who wouldn't???

handing in a transfer request merely forfits your right to having your contract paid up-Liverpool would have clearly sorted things out financialy at their end for him.A win,win situation really & good for us fans if the money had been re-invested.

This is one of the reasons why MON walked out & also a reason why he actualy won a court case against the club for constructive dismissal

Just change my name to Mysteryman & have done with it.

ok, ill bite once more

from may 12th, 2011 http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/aston-villa-fc/2011/05/12/aston-villa-stewart-downing-happy-to-stay-on-at-fantastic-club-65233-28678237/

“I think there’s been a couple of conversations already with my agent,” said Downing. “I’ve already spoken to the manager who has said he’d like to keep me.

“I’m enjoying my stay here. I’ve enjoyed it since the first day I came. It’s a terrific football club. It’s fantastic they want me.

“There’s terrific players. I’m confident, despite this season, we’re going in the right direction and if we get the right players in then I’m happy.

“The important thing in football is, if you’re happy, then why change it?

“I know it’s been a disappointing season, but I can see the bigger picture.”

Downing, who is currently contracted until 2013, believes he owes Villa a debt of gratitude for signing him while he was on crutches with a fractured foot in July 2009.

from the 13th july 2012

aston villa have accepted a £20m bid from liverpool for Stewart Downing after the England international submitted a written transfer request, effectively forcing through a move to Anfield. Villa had insisted that Downing was not for sale but felt they had little option but to sanction his departure when the 26-year-old made it clear that he was desperate to join Liverpool. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/13/liverpool-stewart-downing-aston-villa