Worst signing of past 5 years?

Dodgyknees

Makoun. Depending on which reports you believe he cost anywhere from 4.5mill and 6mill. I'd imagine he is on 30k a week and even out on loan we will most likely be stumping up 50% of that. He won't be off the books until the summer at the earliest so you can say for his 7 Prem appearances he has cost anywhere from around 6.5mill to 9mill in fees and wages.

The fact that the guy also disrespected this great club by not taking it upon himself, whilst earning a fortune, to learn very, very basic English is a disgrace.

Beye would be another who like Makoun was a total waste of space and money.

Edited by markavfc40

He's an alright keeper and good enough to be in this league I just don't think Given's been that good this season for us. 

Yeah I wasn't commenting on the performances that got him dropped, I just meant that having a goalkeeper as good as Given as your backup since Guzan took over is "more than adequate".

here's not many clubs in the league with a number 2 as good as him.

Anyway, off topic. I agree with you, nowhere near our worst signing of the past 5 years. In fact I wouldn't even call him a BAD signing at all. Yet.

Makoun. Defending on which reports you believe he cost anywhere from 4.5mill and 6mill. I'd imagine he is on 30k a week and even out on loan we will most likely be stumping up 50% of that. He won't be off the books until the summer at the earliest so you can say for his 7 Prem appearances he has cost anywhere from around 6.5mill to 9mill in fees and wages.

The fact that the guy also disrespected this great club by not taking it upon himself, whilst earning a fortune, to learn very, very basic English is a disgrace.

Beye would be another who like Makoun was a total waste of space and money.

Why do you assume that we're still paying 50% of his wages? Have there been any reports on this or are you just guessing?

Alex McLeish

If we go down Lambert will be worse

Disagree with this. I think Lambert walked into an incredibly difficult, if not virtually impossible situation. The entire squad needed sorting out after last season and he was given only £20 million to do so, at the same time lowering both the average age and the average wage of the squad. There's no way he'd have bought the players he did unless that was his remit.

If Lambert keeps us in this league with the squad we have he'll have done an excellent job.

• Like 1

Given has to be up there because on reflection i dont think he was all that good last season. He IMO was the cause of the set piece problems because they have shown up in the cups this season.

But he is way behind the likes of Ireland, Beye and Makoun...and i guess Heskey just missed out.

Given has to be up there because on reflection i dont think he was all that good last season. He IMO was the cause of the set piece problems because they have shown up in the cups this season.

We were crap at set pieces the season before Given and we've been crap at setpieces this season without him.

We were crap at set pieces the season before Given and we've been crap at setpieces this season without him.

With Given it goes to a new level though. Look at the difference between the league and cup games in terms of conceding from set pieces.  

In terms of money spent and return on that its makoun all day long with beye a close second

Most disapointing signing - Ireland

Id throw warnock in there too, 5 good months followed by 2 years comedy defending for 7.5million.

Ireland for me all day long, complete waste. A manager didn't even sign him and to think we included him in the deal for Milner. I'd rather have just taken 18Million for Milner, rather than add this waste of space to it. As for Makoun, was he really given a chance, he was only here for 6 months. Compare that to Ireland who has had chance after chance and still picking up 50 to 60k a week.

top five

No5 - Scott Carsson: Was an awful choice for a keeper when he had the money to buy a good one. Although he was only on loan, the season he played for us he was pants, i think it was 18 CONSECUTIVE games without a cleansheet for a team that was in or around the top four is shocking.

No4- Nicky Shorey - Crap player and bad attitude.

No3 - Jean II Makoun - Never really given the chance to play, didnt really seem like he wanted to hang around after Houlllier went either, waste of money.

No2- Habib Beye - I remember watching him in a rare performance at West Ham (a) and getting sent off (harshly). the game was awful and we lost to a last min goal. Including that day he never contributed anything to the team and was on a huge wage when he never needed to be.

No1- Stephen Ireland - he came, he saw, he done **** all. He has an inspired moment about once in a half season. Not his fault but the teams demise turned once he joined. Alot of money for a show pony who doesnt even have tricks. I feel like when we signed him it was like one of those moments off real hustle where somebody buys a laptop/camera/watch off a guy in a car and they switch the bags and once you finally realise that you actually bought a dummy.

Special shout outs have to go to, Jermane Jenus, £2m in loan money? Marlon Harewood, what was the point? Sali-Salifouuuuu! Emile Heskey, like Scott Carson, when we had the money we SHOULD have bought a better striker.

With Given it goes to a new level though. Look at the difference between the league and cup games in terms of conceding from set pieces.

This debate has been had elsewhere so I won't go into it, but the cup wasn't Given's fault. He couldn't have done anything about the goals.

Regardless, even if that were true, being slightly worse at set pieces with him in goal than without him doesn't make him the worst signing of the past 5 years. That's madness.

I genuinely feel sorry for Shay Given. Villa fans seem to have this opinion of him these days that he's absolute dog shit, and he appears to now be shouldering a lot of the blame for the Bradford defeat as a result.

He's still a decent keeper.

Edited by Stevo985

Â