Worst signing of past 5 years?

Dodgyknees

Hm, there have been some bad signings, and disappointing ones, but for me it has to be Heskey. Not because he was worse than anyone else, but because of everything around that signing. In true Villa fashion, we were going rather well and just needed a player to come in and help us get over the line. We were desperate for a bit of quality up front, even if the 4-5-1 was working well (although we were starting to get found out), and we waited, waited and ended up with Heskey.

Awful signing.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree with that sentiment.

We were 3rd or 4th around Christmas, Arsenal were 9 points adrift.

They got the (at the time) world-beater Andrey Arshavin and we got Emile Heskey.

Everyone in the league knew we were not going to finish 4th that season. Imagine getting Darren Bent instead at the time, or someone similar, who knows?

Even more annoying was that it was so predictabel.

I remember us getting linked with someone else and I definitely made the joke along the lines of

"Would be an amazing signing.

But I won't hold my breath, I'll be at VP on 31st January with a sign saying "Welcome Emile!""

And lo and behold, it was Emile we got.

Still not sure he qualifies as the worst signing, but it was pretty bad.

With Given it goes to a new level though. Look at the difference between the league and cup games in terms of conceding from set pieces.
This debate has been had elsewhere so I won't go into it, but the cup wasn't Given's fault. He couldn't have done anything about the goals.

Regardless, even if that were true, being slightly worse at set pieces with him in goal than without him doesn't make him the worst signing of the past 5 years. That's madness.

I genuinely feel sorry for Shay Given. Villa fans seem to have this opinion of him these days that he's absolute dog shit, and he appears to now be shouldering a lot of the blame for the Bradford defeat as a result.

He's still a decent keeper.

To be completely honest with you, ive never particularly rated Given as a top keeper, and this season has proved we didn't need a new keeper, therefore a rather expensive pointless signing.

I can certainly see the strong logic of picking Heskey, it was a crucial part of the puzzle and it was like we'd bought a soggy piece from a different jigsaw puzzle.

I hoped to see a lot more from Ireland too and I agree with the suggestion of Beye.

Makoun is another annoying one.

Thinking about what we've paid Ireland and what we've seen from him is a disgrace.

His transfer fee was around 8.5million as part of the Milner deal.

His wages are rumoured to be around 60k a week.

So over his 2 1/2 year period at the club to date, he's cost us around 16.3 million (8.5m fee + 7.8m wages).

He's top of my list.

I would love to know the truth behind the Ireland transfer.  We were well and truly shafted by Man City over this one.  If MON knew this was in the pipeline, its no wonder that he threw his toys out of the pram.

Over the years Villa must have wasted more money on duds like Ireland than any other club.  NRC, Davies, Balaban, Collymore, Harewood, Curcic, Shorey, Hutton, Warnock, Sidwell, etc, etc, etc, etc. 

When you look back at our transfer business over the last 5 years, it really is shocking.

I'd argue that only Milner, Downing, Benteke, , Guzan and Dunne ( at a push ) could be classed as good signings ( as in value for money ) . Hopefully a few of lamberts signings will fall into the good signing category in due course

Edited by Biskitt
  • Like 1

Been some shockers!

I'm convinced Ireland would be a bloody good player.....if he could just get his head out of his own ass! As it is, he has disappointed on so many levels.

But I think Makoun edges it for me, simply because it was the biggest waste of time ever. He looked like a fish out of water and I very much doubt he stopped to say cheerio on his lightning exit from B6.Again, could have had some promise, but you always had the feeling his driver had the engine permanently ticking over.

Surely Sidwell has to be up there. Sure he got a couple of goals and assists but for the transfer fee and wages paid he was pretty useless. The club lucked out big time with Fulham willing to come in and take him.

Â