Worst signing of past 5 years?

Dodgyknees

Just been thinking about this, we've quite a few IMHO.

Ireland, Beye, Hutton, Given..

Who is the worst though?

Please don't turn this into an ex manager witch-hunt, this is just about poor signings.

Ireland, which is easy to say in hindsight obviously but even at the time, the fact the board pushed through the deal without a manager at the helm was beyond **** stupid.

Madness to have Given on the list. At least he played (more or less) a full season and helped keep us up. PLus if he leaves in the summer he's hardly been a huge drain in wages.

I'd say Makoun, purely for the fact of how much he cost and how little we got out of him.

Again at least Ireland's played some games and looked like he has a remote interest in playing for the club.

We've got nothing from the Makoun signing and never will.

I wouldn't say Given, he was actually good for us last season. Helped us stay up.

5 year contract on huge wages near the end of his career and now sat on the bench. Not sure it offers vfm even if he was decent last season.

Edited by dodgyknees

I wouldn't say Given, he was actually good for us last season. Helped us stay up.

5 year contract on huge wages near the end of his career and now sat on the bench. Not sure it offers vfm even if he was decent last season.

But he hasn't been here for 5 years.

He'll more than likely move in the summer. In which case he's only been here for 2 years, one of which he was pretty good and one of which he's been a more than adequate backup to an excellent number 1.

I'm not saying he's been a great signing, but calling him one of the worst of the past 5 years is ludicrous.

Granted if he sits on the bench for the remainder of his contract the signing gets worse and worse. But I very much doubt he will.

He'll more than likely move in the summer. In which case he's only been here for 2 years, one of which he was pretty good and one of which he's been a more than adequate backup to an excellent number 1.

I'm not saying he's been a great signing, but calling him one of the worst of the past 5 years is ludicrous.

Granted if he sits on the bench for the remainder of his contract the signing gets worse and worse. But I very much doubt he will.

Hmm, not so sure about "more than adequate backup".

He was very good last year though and I wouldn't class him as one of the worst signings if he leaves in the summer.

Edited by Mantis

Thinking about what we've paid Ireland and what we've seen from him is a disgrace.

His transfer fee was around 8.5million as part of the Milner deal.

His wages are rumoured to be around 60k a week.

So over his 2 1/2 year period at the club to date, he's cost us around 16.3 million (8.5m fee + 7.8m wages).

He's top of my list.

Edited by AvfcTheObsession

Hmm, not so sure about "more than adequate backup".

He was very good last year though and I wouldn't class him as one of the worst signings if he leaves in the summer.

You'd say "a more than adequate backup" is generous for Given?

I wouldn't. I'm probably doing him a disservice to be honest. He's still good enough to be a premier league goalkeeper. he's just not as good as Guzan.

He's an alright keeper and good enough to be in this league I just don't think Given's been that good this season for us. Certainly not our worst signings though, that honour can only go to Ireland.

Â