Arsenal: The Wenger delusion?

TrentVilla

The topic of Arsenal is rarely far away from any football conversation or debate at the moment such is the nature of Wenger's ability to split opinion.

After 7 years and counting without a trophy, soon to be eight when Bayern complete the job, many are calling for his head. Yet at the same time they have risen to become a financial powerhouse of the game, with the 6th largest annual income in world football and that is before the new TV deal next season.

Talk of Arsenal and Wenger has been appearing in a lot of threads so I thought it time we had a specific thread to encapsulate perhaps the most talked about club this season.

To kick it off, Wenger appears to believe they can still finish second this season.

I quite like Arsenal as a club and the current philosophy. They are everything I'd love the Villa to be. 60k stadium that is always full Huge waiting list for season tickets Lovely style of football Wenger has done enough there IMO to be given the time and space to do exactly what he wants.

Wenger also believed they could win the Champions League, so I wouldn't take his word. 

They should have bought Moussa Sissoko, was a steal at £3m. Its what they needed to replace Alex Song.

They don't need to replace Song. They need to replace Gilberto Silva.

Song was ok, but he was never the solution to their problems.

Thing with wenger is that he cannot build a new defence.. When he started the job he had the traditional back 4 of Adams, bould et al... He was then able to add to those players (sol Campbell Ashley cole), a few defenders who could learn of the experienced ones, thus keeping the defence strong. However, since those players have gone he hasn't been able to replace them with enough quality, nor coach them up to th standard required..

its not players that need replacing it was David Dein. never been replaced and Wenger has suffered. His foreign policy might be prudent but the great Arsenal teams he had always had an English spine e.g. would Cahill or Jagielka not have been a better signing than Squillaci or Mertesacker.

All the great things he has done but I think his tenure could end sadly like Cloughs at Forest wont be as dramatic but still sad

Thing with wenger is that he cannot build a new defence.. When he started the job he had the traditional back 4 of Adams, bould et al... He was then able to add to those players (sol Campbell Ashley cole), a few defenders who could learn of the experienced ones, thus keeping the defence strong. However, since those players have gone he hasn't been able to replace them with enough quality, nor coach them up to th standard required..

He cant spot defenders thats a major problem. Campbell was a no brainer same with Gallas, Toure a converted midfielder. Squiillaci, Cygan, Andre Santos among others were hopeless. persisted with Djourou adn Senderos wen they offered nothing

The criticism that wenger doesn't spend the money is wrong, he just spends it on the wrong players

Arshavin, arteta, mertesaker, gervinho, chamackh, santos etc are not worth what they paid

Edited by Jimzk5

The criticism that wenger doesn't spend the money is wrong, he just spends it on the wrong players

Arshavin, arteta, mertesaker, gervinho, chamackh, santos etc are not worth what they paid

Agree with all of those apart from Arteta who I think is a quality player, good enough for a top 4 team IMO. Only times he's looked poor is when asked to do a job that he's not comfortable with, protect the back four as a DM.

Agree abotu Arteta.

The problem is they're playing him out of position pretty much every match. He still does an ok job, but that's not where he's excelled.

Loads of clubs seem to do this (see Milner at Man City!)

Its a tough one because he has clearly been part of the transformation of Arsenal from top to bottom, however, it looks like the progress has stagnated and he also looks like he's cracking up. If Arsenal do decide that a change of leadship is needed they really need to get the next appintment right. Only really a handful of mamagers who take the club on from here.

On transfers I always thought he made a huge mistake not going the extra few quid Fulham wanted for Schwarzer. A solid keeper who'd have steadied them at the back. If he'd have played against small heath they would probably have a trophy too which would take a lot of AW's pressure away.

I do think he gets a lot of unnecessary hate, he has managed to keep the club at top 4 for a long time now, and that is pretty impressive if you ask me. Sure, they have bought some shit players, but which club haven`t really. And for that matter, they have also lost a lot of players and they have a healthy economy. Maybe someone else would get more out of them? Perhaps, but then again to lay the blame solely on Wenger is dismissive to what he has accomplished. 

In my opinion they are a well run business but I would hate to be a fan. I suppose it is like those Apple-fanboys. Follow the company, slavishly turn up to their stores and buy their goods and fail to see the glaring truth, that they only want your money.

This could apply to most Premier League clubs but Arsenal more than most seem to value a good bank balance over a competitive team.

Don't dispute the quality of arteta but £11million on a 29 year old, they could have signed cabaye at the same time for half that and get 5 more years out of him

an injury prone 29 year old who while good is not same player for me he was at Everton

Â