The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Well, no, I meant more of the folkie/singer-songwriter strumming or country flatpicking. I liked the Earl Klugh, but I'm not a really a big fan of jazz guitar (prefer piano and horns for that stuff).

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

General rule:

Rock music without guitars and vocals is suspect.

Jazz music WITH guitars and vocals is equally suspect.

i agree on the first note but i like jazz with guitars. im not what you call a proper jazz fan though so thats maybe why.

I use a capo all the time on my acoustic so I feel a bit better about myself now.  I think it's easier to barre on an electric then it is on acoustic, plus I like the jangly sound you get from playing open chords with a capo on playing acoustic.  Regarding Noel Gallagher, his voice is a lot higher than Liam's so probably puts a capo on to play the old Oasis songs in a different key to suit him.  Either way he has never considered himself a great guitarist, Gem Archer who played with him at the gig however is amazing, to my amateur ears anyway.

• Like 1

If I turn up for a gig without a capo, I'm f**cked! Always 3 in my guitar case.

I use them for a variety of reasons - getting the song in a comfortable key to sing is the obvious one, but also for the different tones you get. Yeah, I could play the song in Am, but I can capo on the 7th and use an Em chord shape for a subtle difference in tones, within the same key. I'd much rather be playing open chords with a capo than constraining myself to bar chords - where I can only use 3 fingers to shape chords, as the index is always working as a bar.

But mainly I like sticking the capo on the 4th or 6th fret to really piss off fiddle and banjo players :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Regarding Noel Gallagher, his voice is a lot higher than Liam's so probably puts a capo on to play the old Oasis songs in a different key to suit him.

Of course. Also as you get older, your voice drops and some songs you could sing in your twenties you manage in your forties, so you adjust the key to suit.

So my band Satchel Blue went into a recording studio and re-recorded a bunch of our songs (previous versions were cobbled together in a front room with dodgy electronic drums). On these new recordings I at least got to use my real drums for a change!

The newly recorded versions are a big improvement, although due to limited funds and time and ability they could certainly still be better. There are some mastering/mixing issues on some tracks but generally I am pretty pleased with it considering how little time we had to record all these tracks.

The album is called Best Of and two tracks (Steve McQueen and Heather Graham) I in fact played entirely on the mini drum kit that I built (and posted about on here a few months ago). The rest of it is played on a Premier artist birch kit with a self-built 13" bubinga snare drum.

You can find the album on google play here https://play.google.com/music/m/Bvuxwxm323r7kwrapbiaj3xap6u?t=The_Best_Of_Deluxe_Version_-_Satchel_Blue or just search for Satchel Blue Best Of on your preferred online music purveyor.

My personal favourite tracks are London Town, Me And The Devil, Goin Travelling, Cheap Shot At Love and Don't Try To Understand Me.

If anybody listens, I hope you enjoy it!

• Like 1

Excellent, if you don't mind me commenting. Was the studio 'NEON' by any chance ?

Ah , Premier drums !  As used by Keith Moon ! (and bloke out of Iron Maiden possibly ?)

1493265_10151801479892750_1248978252_n.jpg

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

So my band Satchel Blue went into a recording studio and re-recorded a bunch of our songs (previous versions were cobbled together in a front room with dodgy electronic drums). On these new recordings I at least got to use my real drums for a change!

The newly recorded versions are a big improvement, although due to limited funds and time and ability they could certainly still be better. There are some mastering/mixing issues on some tracks but generally I am pretty pleased with it considering how little time we had to record all these tracks.

The album is called Best Of and two tracks (Steve McQueen and Heather Graham) I in fact played entirely on the mini drum kit that I built (and posted about on here a few months ago). The rest of it is played on a Premier artist birch kit with a self-built 13" bubinga snare drum.

You can find the album on google play here https://play.google.com/music/m/Bvuxwxm323r7kwrapbiaj3xap6u?t=The_Best_Of_Deluxe_Version_-_Satchel_Blue or just search for Satchel Blue Best Of on your preferred online music purveyor.

My personal favourite tracks are London Town, Me And The Devil, Goin Travelling, Cheap Shot At Love and Don't Try To Understand Me.

If anybody listens, I hope you enjoy it!

I love the guitar sound. Not sure about the singer or the songs. Will give it another listen though.

Thanks for listening! There are actually two different singers taking lead vocal, and there is about a 50/50 split across the tracks. They do sometimes sound similar however.

We recorded in a place called Dockside in Bristol because it was handy for the one singer to pop into for mixing and so on. They were also rather good value :-)

I realise these songs are not everybody's cup of tea - some of them are very poppy, and even a bit twee, but I actually like most them even though I generally listen to more 'complex' music. Interestingly, when we have played in Brum we often got comments from other bands along the lines of "it's nice that you are doing something different than heavy rock or metal". We would stand apart from the general crowd at times :-)

Oh, and regarding the Premier drums, I bought them several years back at what is now PMT. I remember walking in and being totally dazzled by this amazing red kit that had loads of shiny chrome all over it. It really does look pretty amazing. I didn't actually buy it for any other reason than that! It does sound very nice though, and the tom mounts are the 'hanging' type that don't have anything penetrating the shell.

The only thing I would say is that the hardware in just a tiny bit less solid than Japanese equivalents. Tama and Yamaha for instance are extremely well engineered in comparison, and I had decided originally after much research that I was going to buy a Yamaha kit. But instead I bought the shiny red one.

• 3 weeks later...

Surely some clever so and so is doing something amazing with Raspberry Pi?

Emulating vintage studio gear: DN780, SPXs or tape delays?

Maybe a monster multi FX?

Anyone seen/heard anything?

• 1 month later...
On 2013-12-25 at 16:37, Tegis said:

Got my son his first drum-kit, going from a electric one. Bloody hell what a technical exercise putting that thing together.

As a total musical retard myself I love the fact that my kids has dived into it all head first. Oboe, Clarinet, Pipe-organ, Drums and singing currently. Absolutely no sports in our house :-)

1512581_687842647914485_550968557_n.jpg?

Progress has been made (not by me). Thought they did ok being 13-15 years old apart from their adult teacher. My daughter to the right singing and son behind the drums

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 3

Â