The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Bit of a long shot this but does anybody happen to know any Brum based drummers looking for a band?

There ya go, Warnock. Not too far from Kiddy. 

Edited by mjmooney

Carrying on the discussion from things you often wonder, yeah you could obviously see the influence krupa had on moon. Moon for me was the most exciting drummer of his generation hence why he was my favourite. Also one more word about bonham, I don't think he was just a basher. He was a lot cleverer than people gave him credit for. I'm not a musician but I think bonham was a clever drummer.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

I'm not the huge-est Deep Purple fan, but Iain Paice is highly regarded among drummers. 

My favourite drummers are the ones I don't know are there. Generally speaking, if I notice the drumming on a record, they're probably overplaying. 

Keith Moon is possibly the only exception. 

I think iain paice is excellent, I agree with you about moon being an exception he's playing is very frantic at times but it just seems natural and he for one moment does not sound like he's overplaying. People like ringo and wyman are getting the recognition they deserve these days where as years ago they were considered basic drummers. I like my drummer with a lot of flair though and like to know they are there.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Rugeley Villa - you are dead right about Bonham.

My favourite drummer is probably the late Jeff Porcaro, of Boz Scaggs,Steely Dan, Toto et al. There is a clip on YouTube where he explains his shuffle tempo that he used in "Rosanna" and he credits Bonham as being partly responsible for that. Anyone rated by Porcaro must be pretty damn good.

Jon Hiseman - what a player ! He replaced Ginger Baker in the Graham Bond Organisation when Baker left to form Cream - hence ... must be pretty good !

• Like 1

Starting to make some headway with my home recordings, now. Nothing good enough to reveal on VT yet, but it's coming on. 

One song almost finished (awaiting a couple of overdubs and then mix and master). Sort of bouncy, upbeat Jeff Lynne-meets-Michael Nesmith thing. 

One completed backing track (no vocals yet). Arabic/Led Zep style (that drop D tuning). 

Several more songs in various stages of composition. Having fun! :)  

Rugeley Villa - you are dead right about Bonham.

My favourite drummer is probably the late Jeff Porcaro, of Boz Scaggs,Steely Dan, Toto et al. There is a clip on YouTube where he explains his shuffle tempo that he used in "Rosanna" and he credits Bonham as being partly responsible for that. Anyone rated by Porcaro must be pretty damn good.

Jon Hiseman - what a player ! He replaced Ginger Baker in the Graham Bond Organisation when Baker left to form Cream - hence ... must be pretty good !

yeah veloman, all greats you've mentioned. When you listen to a lot of the zep songs bonham is driving the songs forward, infact you don't hear him bash away very often. Mitch mitchell is another favourite of mine and was as good as anyone. Bill ward is underrated, his fills that he does on some of the songs are great, especially the paranoid album. I love his drumming on wheels of confusion and snowblind. I'm not musically educated so don't know the terms used for various styles. Would like to hear mooneys arabic/zep song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47v7yYRfjA

some of the video quality is a bit ropey.

WICKED

And sad, because she could have gone on to do anything. And probably would have moved on from some of that sappy stuff

I'm not the huge-est Deep Purple fan, but Iain Paice is highly regarded among drummers. 

My favourite drummers are the ones I don't know are there. Generally speaking, if I notice the drumming on a record, they're probably overplaying. 

Keith Moon is possibly the only exception. 

I get what you mean. Charlie Watts is a great example of a drummer you don't "hear", but without Charlie, the Rolling Stones would have been a totally different kind of band. 

I agree with you about Keith Moon. I'd also put Stewart Copeland in that class. They put his drumming way upfront on their recordings and it worked. I don't know how he got his snare so tight without the thing shredding off. He's a supremely tasteful drummer, IMO.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

The drums will always be more noticeable in a trio (or trio plus singer) lineup - Who, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix Experience/Band of Gypsies, ELP, Police, Rush, etc., etc. 

There are still some who can be restrained and effective though, e.g. The Big Figure in Dr Feelgood. 

Drummers aside, I really like acts than can do 'understated' - J. J. Cale was one, and so (in a live situation) was Curtis Mayfield. 

Charlie watts!!!, I always get him and wyman mixed up. I said wyman in an earlier post about drummers. I must admit I'm a big fan of power trio's, regarding meg white, I think she's ok. I do like the white stripes, jack white in particular.

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of naming great drummers, Gavin Harrison and Marco Minnemann are two drummers that I think are right up there in being some of the best around at the moment. In terms of all round technique, feel and groove, they have everything down. There's some phenomenal musicians around in prog and jazz fusion bands that are completely overlooked nowadays.

Â