Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

TrentVilla

Really hope he doesn't get bail

Why?

Surely you can't be serious? How could you sleep in bed at night knowing that halfway across the world there was a bloke not in prison who may or may not have intentionally killed his girlfriend.

Following @barrybateman on twitter. First with the news. The prosecution is summing up. There's some woefully subjective evidence being thrown out there. Haven't seen this much hear'say since 2001

Bateman is very quick with the facts. Also worth a look are @bbcandrewh @smithinafrica @kristenvanschie and the rather excellently named @mandywiener who retweets a variety of sources.

Having worked a fair bit in SA and having quite a few friends out there, I have read with interest a lot of what people have commented on here in the UK. One of the most obvious things that people do not realise is that SA is not the UK. I appreciate that is obvious but what I mean is that how day to day life goes on out there is not the same. Crime and violence is very much part of the society. One of the first things you notice on the way from the airport in JoBurg or CT is that while everything looks so familiar in terms of infrastructure, names, design etc, you then notice that every house has razor wire around it and electric fences. Most houses will have dogs, and I don't mean yappy little things. A lot of my friends have guns and the basic way of thinking is that if you find someone in your house you shoot them - else they will shoot you.

There is a lot of violence towards women, most goes unreported. etc

After saying that it is a fantastic country one that I really enjoy spending time in. The people are not soft and deal with a lot of difficulties. There are still many issues but considering where it was not so long back in terms of its society infrastructure it's doing a good job.

Accidents happen all of the time, unfortunately there because of the nature of the society there are a lot more fatalities. As for Oscar P, I can see the reasoning behind both arguments that have been put forward. I am not convinced either way if he is guilty or innocent and nor are a lot of SA's

Pretty much how I see it there, drat. It's a fantastic place but security is a major issue.

Looks like the judge has decided it's to be tried at schedule 6 (premeditated) offence. Bail (or not) decision any moment. Totally fascinated by this case (as would be evident by the amount I've posted in this thread) and I can't wait to see how this plays out over the coming weeks and months. OP has given the prosecution all they need to build a case. His stance is clear and they've now got to pick it apart. Still can't work out if the prosecution has been daft so far or very clever in getting OP to outline all of his defence. On the face of it, they have already made some huge mistakes but I don't think anyone can guess how this is going to go.

On the face of it, they have already made some huge mistakes but I don't think anyone can guess how this is going to go.

It seems the mistakes have been made by the investigator rather than the prosecution.  To my amateur eye, it seems to have been a very amateur initial investigation.  Now they've put their top investigator on the case, I suppose it will be handled much better.

I'll credit your post with a better response than your attitude deserves..... I've seen nothing to convince me that it was "premeditated murder" which is what he is charged with. You don't plan to kill someone in you're own bathroom in that manner. **** bonkers. He killed her. Was it murder - I don't know could have been if he was really angry and fired. Culpable Homicide? - probably thats my bet as to what he will ultimately get convicted of. The issue of belief is irrelevent. The prosecution have to prove it was "premeditated murder" at present there is plenty of reasonable doubt that would suggest it wasn't premeditated.

Me neither. If the criteria are: Flight risk Danger to the Public Intimidation of witnesses He'll walk out of court this afternoon. Can't see how he is a serious risk of any of those 3 tbh.

I can see no real reason why he shouldn't get bail, based on what we've heard so far.

We've heard a little too much from the trial judge - a real stream of consciousness.  What next?  Will he tell us about the history of Transylvania, the art of Degas, or his taste in shirts?  Get on with it, son.

Â