World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Lafferty only been on the pitch for a few minutes and he's got a red card, madness.

This game reminds me of our game against Chelsea from end of last season. I reckon Norn Iron were winning that game at 2-1 but the golden rule when you're playing 10 men is to make sure your players don't give the ref any option to even things up. Since they've gone down to 10 men themselves, Portugal and particularly Ronaldo have pissed all over them.

In fact Ronaldo just scored a hattrick.

What on earth is up with Mexico?! 

Their coach is useless and they're refusing to sack him and they haven't won any of their 4 qualifying games at the Azteca, losing 2-1 to Honduras.

Can't see them making top 3 but generously Concaaf gets another play off stop which I don't agree with given there's only 6 teams in the group.

And again fortunately for them Fifa changed it as in the last campaign Costa Rica had to play Uruguay. Mexico if they're 4th will play New Zealand over two legs.

Agreed but they still had Peralta who scored (scored twice in Olympic final) and Dos Santos plus Hernandez came on as sub so there should be goals there.

Rest of the side looks pretty mediocre, think Gerrardo Torrardo is still playing for Mexico, he must be about 36 now!

I see Cape Verde have beaten Tunisia 2-0 in their final group game to seal top spot and a place in the play offs - quite an upset given both team's pedigree in WC qualification (having said that, I see CV have a current FIFA ranking of 36 - making them better than Gareth Bale and 10 other players combined!)...

How the African qualifies will be ?!

Two groups ? or every two will play each other ?

10 groups, winners of each group play each other. The 5 winners go to Brazil.

Disagree Burkina Faso are pretty decent, they got to AFNC final this year and have an excellent player in Jonathon Prioprita. Don't forget the "big" nations like Nigeria and Cameroon really aren't that strong anymore and both could easily be upset in the play offs.

Would think most would want to play Eithopia in the play offs even if they did finish above South Africa.

Cape Verde have been pretty competitive for years now despite their small pool of players, got to the knock outs in AFNC. They did get fortunate in this as they lost to Equatioral Guinea and were out of contention but there was an ineligible player used so they got a 3-0 win which got them back. Fantastic to see them win last night and it would be incredible to see them in a world cup.

Just checked and Cape Verde would infact be seeded along with Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria and Algeria.

All the unseeded teams will want Cape Verde. All the seeded teams will want Burkina Faso.

Cameroon and Egypt qualified, surely they will be seeded ahead of CVI?

Disagree Burkina Faso are pretty decent, they got to AFNC final this year and have an excellent player in Jonathon Prioprita. Don't forget the "big" nations like Nigeria and Cameroon really aren't that strong anymore and both could easily be upset in the play offs.

Would think most would want to play Eithopia in the play offs even if they did finish above South Africa.

Cape Verde have been pretty competitive for years now despite their small pool of players, got to the knock outs in AFNC. They did get fortunate in this as they lost to Equatioral Guinea and were out of contention but there was an ineligible player used so they got a 3-0 win which got them back. Fantastic to see them win last night and it would be incredible to see them in a world cup.

I never said Cameroon, I deliberately didn't mention them because they are no longer one of the top nations of Africa. They've been crap for ages. Nigeria just won the Africa cup of nations and man for man are the 2nd strongest side in Africa. It's whether they can come together as a team. But I guess Ethiopia would be one of the teams they'd want to play. But as they comfortably dealt with South Africa in that group..................

Anyway roll on 16th of September and the draw.

Edited by Voinjama

Just checked and Cape Verde would infact be seeded along with Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria and Algeria.

All the unseeded teams will want Cape Verde. All the seeded teams will want Burkina Faso.

Cameroon and Egypt qualified, surely they will be seeded ahead of CVI?

It's done on the FIFA world rankings at one particular point in time, and you know how dodgy and volatile they can be. Anyway I predict it will be the usual teams from Africa, no new names.

Â