World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Well there is something called the Euro's every four years...The point is it's a world competition

World cup 98 and 2002 were perfect in terms of places given to each continent.

Europe  15

South America 5

Africa 5

North America Caribbean 3

Asia 4

Now Europe has lost 2 and they have been given to CONCACAF and Oceana.

Edited by Voinjama

Are Switzerland one of the top 13 sides in Europe. I don't know much about the European scene.

I'm going to guess the top 13 sides in no particular order-

Spain

Italy

Germany

England

Holland

France

Russia

Denmark

Belgium

Turkey

Greece

Portugal

Ukraine

Well there is something called the Euro's every four years...The point is it's a world competition

Europe  15

South America 5

Africa 5

Asia 4

Well actually the 1 'given' to concacaf is actually a playoff between the 4th place concacaf side and the sixth place conmebol, which is not too bad. The point is it is a world competition, though. If European teams dominate, so be it, it just proves Europe is the best in the world at football. If there were more European teams included, like I said before you have the Euros to serve that purpose. 

Edited by LockStockVilla

Europe  15

South America 5

Africa 5

Asia 4

Well actually the 1 'given' to concacaf is actually a playoff between the 4th place concacaf side and the sixth place concembol, which is not too bad. The point is it is a world competition, though. If European teams dominate, so be it, it just proves Europe is the best in the world at football. If there were more European teams included, like I said before you have the Euros to serve that purpose.

Effectively South America, NCAC, Oceania, and Asia each got half of a berth from the two Europeans.

For the record, based on the Elo ratings (probably the most mathematically sound international rating system, though I don't think it properly takes margin of victory into account)

1. Spain (UEFA1)

2. Brazil (CONMEBOL1)

3. Germany (UEFA2)

4. Argentina (CONMEBOL2)

5. Netherlands (UEFA3)

6. England (UEFA4)

7. Mexico (CONCACAF1)

8. Italy (UEFA5)

9. Colombia (CONMEBOL3)

10. Sweden (UEFA6)

11. Portugal (UEFA7)

12. France (UEFA8)

13. Russia (UEFA9)

14. Croatia (UEFA10)

15. Uruguay (CONMEBOL4)

16. Ecuador (CONMEBOL5)

17. Ivory Coast (CAF1)

18. Japan (AFC1)

19. Switzerland (UEFA11)

20. Greece (UEFA12)

21. Chile (CONMEBOL6)

22. Denmark (UEFA13)

23. Belgium (UEFA14)

24. Australia (AFC2)

25. South Korea (AFC3)

26. Czechia (UEFA15)

27. USA (CONCACAF2)

28. Norway (UEFA16)

29. Ghana (CAF2)

30. Bosnia (UEFA17)

31. Romania (UEFA18)

32. Ireland (UEFA19)

So based on that, UEFA is underrepresented by six berths, CONMEBOL is underrepresented by a half berth, CONCACAF is overrepresented by 1.5, AFC by 1.5, CAF by 3, and OFC by half. So Africa geting 5 (and not even having to play off for one...) is what's nonsensical. Africa having the same representation as Europe at FIFA (53 members) likely explains it.

I would suspect that UEFA, given their druthers, would prefer even fewer entrants, especially now that UEFA is selling the TV rights to the qualifiers centrally. Fewer qualifiers makes the qualifiers more important and worth more TV money, while FIFA would financially prefer to have more European entrants.

Edited by leviramsey

Are Switzerland one of the top 13 sides in Europe. I don't know much about the European scene.

I'm going to guess the top 13 sides in no particular order-

Spain

Italy

Germany

England

Holland

France

Russia

Denmark

Belgium

Turkey

Greece

Portugal

Ukraine

Croatia, Sweden and potentially Serbia be ahead of Belgium, Turkey and Ukraine

they arent. Croatia was the 3rd best team at the Euros only problem was the 2 best was also in their group. Sweden qualified for Euros, beat France and came from 4-1 down vs Germany away.

Serbia and Belgium are close as both only have potential at this stage. Belgium with youth and Serbs have never jelled 

but why? they have no full backs, Vermaelen has been crap for 18 months and kompany having a poor season. Except Fellaini, Dembele, Hazard and maybe Lukaku and Benteke they arent really that impessive

but why? they have no full backs, Vermaelen has been crap for 18 months and kompany having a poor season. Except Fellaini, Dembele, Hazard and maybe Lukaku and Benteke they arent really that impessive

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

• Like 2

Â